Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,227,234 times

Advertisements

How about just keeping the roads paved so 6 inch deep potholes aren't accepted as a fact of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
How about just keeping the roads paved so 6 inch deep potholes aren't accepted as a fact of life?
I wish the city would pay for vehicular damage caused by their infrastructural maintenance negligence. I already need another alignment not long after just getting one due to the horrible potholes everywhere. It's almost May. What is the city waiting for in terms of fixing them?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Intellectual exercise idea:

Ban all automobiles within the city limits except for limited-access highways (279, 376, 28, 65, etc.) and special-purpose vehicles like moving trucks

Construct large parking garages adjacent to major roads at the city limits so that motorists will have a place to store their cars while they are in the city. Also make am ample number of bicycles and Segways and such available for rental and provide storage for those who own such conveyances.

Expand the T so that it runs over all major roadways such that:
- 95% of the population of the city will be no more than one-half mile from the nearest stop
- Light rail will stop at the outer parking garages no less often than every fifteen minutes at all times, except every 30 minutes from 1-4 AM.

This idea would certainly increase the number of people employed in areas like retail food in the city, and bring back the traditional mom and pop stores that were on their last legs when I was a kid and are now just about extinct.

The old school, before automobile era, has lots of local grocers, produce men and butchers- the automobile allowed people to make longer and bigger trips for their provisions. Waiting for 15 minutes for a train with a lot of groceries and then having to walk up to 1/2 mile with them once you are at your destination, is something that people won't like doing today (and didn't like doing before the automotive age- hence the role of mom and pop).

Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Ugh, there is one that drives me crazy every morning. From Forbes Avenue into the Armstrong Tunnel. Why would there be no turn on red there? There is no opposing traffic to turn left (at the tunnel Forbes becomes one way.) It's the perfect place to turn right on red. Then when you get to the other side of the tunnel at Second Avenue -- there is not a "no turn on red" sign, so theoretically you can turn on red even though the sightlines are horrible and you can't really see traffic coming from the left on Second Avenue. Additionally, the traffic from the 10th Street bridge that is turning onto Second Avenue has a left green arrow. My personal theory is that some genius hung the sign on the wrong side of the tunnel. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Actually, there used to be a sign there, permitting a right turn on red back when right on red was illegal in Pennsylvania, so your point makes perfect sense.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:05 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Let's face reality: the United States is in decline and at home we're doing the bare minimum to get by at an infrastructural level. Second tier cities like Pittsburgh are not going to see any massive infrastructure overhaul in our lifetimes and probably not in our children's lifetimes. The only thing that would pull cities out of their near-second world infrastructure status would be a new "New Deal". Until then it's potholes, rusty bridges, backed up sewers, litter, and decaying buildings for us.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,103,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Let's face reality: the United States is in decline and at home we're doing the bare minimum to get by at an infrastructural level. Second tier cities like Pittsburgh are not going to see any massive infrastructure overhaul in our lifetimes and probably not in our children's lifetimes. The only thing that would pull cities out of their near-second world infrastructure status would be a new "New Deal". Until then it's potholes, rusty bridges, backed up sewers, litter, and decaying buildings for us.

As much as it saddens me to say this, I agree with you. We can expect to see only the bare minimum in infrastructure spending.

Last I read, there was $2 trillion worth of maintenance need just for our existing infrastructure. I'm not sure where that kind of money is going to come from, so I just can't see how we can expect to see a lot of new infrastructure projects in the future.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,227,234 times
Now that globalization is here to stay, e.g., no more job/wage boom times in the U.S., the only way out is to raise taxes. They are at historic lows, but it's unlikely to happen. Too many people want something for nothing. Raising taxes on the top earners would help, but we know how easy that is to do. The average middle-income earner is loaded with so much consumer debt that many of them seem to have accepted it as the new normal and so regard higher taxes as financially unbearable. Plus, there aren't as many middle income earners as there used to be and they earn less in adjusted dollars than they used to. So yeah, barring something amazing happening I agree - get used to it.

Where Does the Money Go? | Center for American Progress
Where Are Your Tax Dollars Going? | Center for American Progress

Last edited by Clint.; 04-28-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
You said it. Ironically, if the government would do a massive spending program on infrastructure, just think of the jobs and boost to the economy it would create. I have friends who travel to China and believe me the Chinese are spending on infrastructure. One of my friends described Shanghai as "something out of the Jetsons". The US is falling behind.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
As much as it saddens me to say this, I agree with you. We can expect to see only the bare minimum in infrastructure spending.

Last I read, there was $2 trillion worth of maintenance need just for our existing infrastructure. I'm not sure where that kind of money is going to come from, so I just can't see how we can expect to see a lot of new infrastructure projects in the future.
Sad, but true. If we had politicians with vision who could convince voters that it was worthwhile to spend on infrastructure...

Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Now that globalization is here to stay, i.e., no more job/wage boom times in the U.S., the only way out is to raise taxes. They are at historic lows, but it's unlikely to happen. Too many people want something for nothing. Raising taxes on the top earners would help, but we know how easy that is to do. The average middle-income earner is loaded with so much consumer debt that many of them seem to have accepted it as the new normal and so regard higher taxes as financially unbearable. Plus, there aren't as many middle income earners as there used to be and they earn less in adjusted dollars than they used to. So yeah, barring something amazing happening I agree - get used to it.

Where Does the Money Go? | Center for American Progress
Where Are Your Tax Dollars Going? | Center for American Progress
I just finished an article that relates: Empowering Regions to Reinvent Themselves - Bruce Katz and Judith Rodin - The Atlantic Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh