Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times

Advertisements

I've got some extra space that I've been thinking of using for a small tree. I don't want any thing that's going to one day grow to be 30 feet tall. I want something that either looks nice (flowers) or produces edible fruit. If there's something that does both, that would be awesome. Maybe a Lilac or Apple tree?

Also any suggestions where to buy one? The Urban Gardener and big box stores seem to cater smaller things. I'm not looking to get a fully mature tree. Something 3 to 6 feet tall probably, even if that means I have to wait a few years for it to produce fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
there are lots of fruit trees that can be grown on dwarf stock and do well in pittsburgh. and they all flower, albeit briefly. the arbor day foundation is a good source for mail order trees, although there are also local nurseries that have good tree selections.

i think peach and plum trees have especially beautiful flowers as well as tasty fruit. there are lots of different kinds. cherry trees are nice too. they tend to be split into ornamental and fruit trees but the trees with fruit that's nice to eat can be as pretty as the ones that are called ornamental.

apple trees would work too but their flowers are not as spectacular. still very pretty though!

lilacs would work just fine here too, although obviously they don't produce edible fruit.

just look for dwarf (8-10 feet) or semi-dwarf (14-18 feet) varieties.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,646 times
I have apple and sour cherry trees that put out a lot of fruit. Particularly the apple ones, I get way more than I know what to do with. I also have a pear and apricot but they doesn't fare so well. You really need to plant at least 2 of a fruit tree (sweetheart trees I think they are called) to get good results.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,093,690 times
Maybe not quite what you are looking for, but I always loved the Japanese maple trees. They can have such a vibrant color to them.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
I have apple and sour cherry trees that put out a lot of fruit. Particularly the apple ones, I get way more than I know what to do with. I also have a pear and apricot but they doesn't fare so well. You really need to plant at least 2 of a fruit tree (sweetheart trees I think they are called) to get good results.
You have sour cherry tree? Are its fruit actually sour sweet? I have never ever found in SUA sour cherry like in Europe. The american version has a hint of sour and it tastes bland. The European version... man, when I was a kid I remember I used to climb the tree and come back with a red mouth and tongue and sour lips (like after you take a vitamin C here). Not to mention that we have the bitter cherry trees over there. Every time I visit my parents I "smuggle" a couple of jars of home made sour and bitter cherry jam my mom makes. That's real bliss on toast and butter for breakfast.

Now to answer the OP if I were you I'd put a pear tree.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
You have sour cherry tree? Are its fruit actually sour sweet? I have never ever found in SUA sour cherry like in Europe. The american version has a hint of sour and it tastes bland. The European version... man, when I was a kid I remember I used to climb the tree and come back with a red mouth and tongue and sour lips (like after you take a vitamin C here). Not to mention that we have the bitter cherry trees over there.

Now to answer the OP if I were you I'd put a pear tree.
Yes we have one in our yard. The fruit takes sour sweet but I would assume this is the american version. I don't know much about this tree's origins since it was there when we bought the house. Our pear tree doesn't put out a ton of fruit, but if we planted another one nearby it might do better.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

lilacs would work just fine here too, although obviously they don't produce edible fruit.

just look for dwarf (8-10 feet) or semi-dwarf (14-18 feet) varieties.
Love lilacs! My grandparents got indoor plumbing after WWII...and promptly planted lilac bushes on the spot of the old outhouse. They grew to 15' there, with blooms that were immense. You could smell their scent 5-6 houses down the street on a breezy day.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I was going to recommend Crabapple, but I noticed you want to eat the first (you can but it's sour) and you didn't want a big flowering tree. Crabapples can get very big. They're beautiful fast growers though.

Any fruit tree is pretty when flowering. Pick the one you like best.

FYI, lilac isn't a tree. It's a bush. They are very slow growing. At their full height, they're not very large---8' to 15' at most---but they take at least 20 years to mature. I'm not discouraging you from planting one. You probably have room to plant both a flowering tree and a lilac bush. My property is lined with a hedge of lilacs. It smells wonderful in May. I can smell them in my house most of the time when the windows are open because the scent travels with a light breeze.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was going to recommend Crabapple, but I noticed you want to eat the first (you can but it's sour) and you didn't want a big flowering tree. Crabapples can get very big. They're beautiful fast growers though.

Any fruit tree is pretty when flowering. Pick the one you like best.

FYI, lilac isn't a tree. It's a bush. They are very slow growing. At their full height, they're not very large---8' to 15' at most---but they take at least 20 years to mature. I'm not discouraging you from planting one. You probably have room to plant both a flowering tree and a lilac bush. My property is lined with a hedge of lilacs. It smells wonderful in May. I can smell them in my house most of the time when the windows are open because the scent travels with a light breeze.
I have a cute story about lilacs. First of all, I agree, they're bushes, not trees. They are very popular in Colorado. (There's a tie-in to Pittsburgh here, Yac, don't have a heart attack!) One year, my parents were out here from Pittsburgh (there ya go) at Mother's Day and the lilacs were especially beautiful that year, and were in full bloom. My dad, who was a master gardener from Penn State (another local reference, Yac), did a soil test on our soil and it was so alkaline it was off his chart! He went home and put a bunch of wood ashes on his lilacs, cause he figured they liked the alkaline soil so much.

One thing about lilacs, and we have several, is that they only bloom for a few weeks a year; the rest of the year they're just bushes. They do make a good screen between yards, etc.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
My mom grew sour cherry trees successfully, and those trees grew only to a modest height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh