Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 03:38 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,898,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The comments section is blaming it on a poorly placed hill between the 11th and 12th mile.
I am fully convinced that the commentators on the PG website are among the most brainless people in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,621,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I am fully convinced that the commentators on the PG website are among the most brainless people in our area.
If you're wrong, we're in a great deal of trouble.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 PM

32,624 posts, read 77,755,660 times
I'm inclined to believe this poor young soul had an underlying heart condition that he was unaware of. He had probably never before pushed himself that hard, and, sadly, his body couldn't take it.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,621,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm inclined to believe this poor young soul had an underlying heart condition that he was unaware of. He had probably never before pushed himself that hard, and, sadly, his body couldn't take it.
He had run a half previously, according to the Trib. This must be very hard on his poor family. I can't imagine what that's got to be like for them.

Runner, 23, dies of cardiac arrest during half marathon | TribLIVE

Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,920,888 times
I can't think of a better way to die than while doing something you love (and yes, I'm at an age where I think about how and when I'm going to die).

Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM

912 posts, read 1,737,015 times
I didn't run, didn't know anyone running, but the course went right past my apartment on Carson around mile 10. My girlfriend and I woke up at 7, went downstairs and cheered on the runners for three hours. It was a blast, and so inspirational seeing so many people achieving their goals.

Congrats to everyone who participated!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,283,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Congratulations to all who competed! We live inside the main "ring" of the marathon route and were pretty much unable to get anywhere most of the day, but sacrificing one day per year so tens of thousands can accomplish something great is surely a very small price to pay.

I remember being trapped like that when I lived in Shady for a while in the 90's. The Marathon went up 5th Ave, then back down Baum to Liberty. From my Walnut and S. Negley apartment, I couldn't go either north or south without running into it.

That was the worst location for being blocked in by these special events- the Shady arts festival and the annual Gay Rights parade used to go up Walnut back then as well.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,920,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I remember being trapped like that when I lived in Shady for a while in the 90's. The Marathon went up 5th Ave, then back down Baum to Liberty. From my Walnut and S. Negley apartment, I couldn't go either north or south without running into it.

That was the worst location for being blocked in by these special events- the Shady arts festival and the annual Gay Rights parade used to go up Walnut back then as well.
I had to go to Millvale to eat today, at Pammy's. I brought my own maple syrup.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,698,324 times
that is so sad about that runner. yeah, i can agree that it's good to go doing something you love, but 23 is too young.

i've been hearing from a lot of different places that homewood was voted the best place to watch the marathon and the runners i know said there was an amazing cheering section and all kinds of support all through the neighborhood, and that it was their favorite neighborhood to run through. it's nice to hear some positive news coming from there - did this get into the local paper or tv news at all, i wonder?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 AM

32,624 posts, read 77,755,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i've been hearing from a lot of different places that homewood was voted the best place to watch the marathon and the runners i know said there was an amazing cheering section and all kinds of support all through the neighborhood, and that it was their favorite neighborhood to run through. it's nice to hear some positive news coming from there - did this get into the local paper or tv news at all, i wonder?
If you go onto WPXI's Facebook page and look to the right under "Recent Posts by Others" you'll see a post from Eric Magwood about Homewood's race hospitality and corresponding lack of media coverage that has now generated 559 comments, 8,212 likes, and 1,267 shares---rather "viral" in my opinion for the local area. I'm inclined to agree the media turns a blind eye to positive things occurring in neighborhoods nefarious for violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh