Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post

Your inability to grasp the concept of liability doesn't render it invalid. Regardless of the attempts of yourself and others to dehumanize the Derkosh family make no mistake she was absolutely justified in pursuing litigation against the zoo, and probably just made the park a whole lot safer for the rest of us.
Don't you DARE act like you speak for me or anyone else. Your ideals are what have helped destroy this country. Oh, and your concept of liability is just that, yours. In legal terms liability come down to whatever a weasel lawyer can convince a jury of. There is virtually no set legal standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The case came to a settlement agreement today; unfortunately the terms are confidential so no one knows how much of a payoff the family got.
When they first filed this lawsuit, I said they'd settle out of court. It was a money grab. Nothing more.

Quote:
...and probably just made the park a whole lot safer for the rest of us.
Settling out of court doesn't make parks safer. Settlements happen all the time without anything changing. It doesn't set a president. All it does is give them money.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times
Quote:
Actually the counter argument is that the zoo has a legal responsibility to protect its guests...even from themselves. Also the zoo knew that people were putting their kids on the railing in a similar manner yeras prior to Maddox being killed. It was a common occurrence, they refused to make the exhibit safer (which again they are legally obligated to do).
It is impossible to protect people who make terrible decisions from themselves. Everyone knows railings aren't meant to be stood on, especially with a toddler who has little muscle control, even more so when you are standing over wild animals! Somehow the zoo managed to function 116 years with anyone dying during a visit.
I understand feeling sympathetic toward the family; I do not understand supporting this baseless lawsuit.
I feel bad for the zoo in all of this and I miss the painted dogs exhibit.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times
Quote:
Illustrates that despite the resurgence of more advanced tech industries and a much more educated workforce this city is still very much part of Pennsyltucky.
If anything seems "Pennsyltucky" it's your attitude that someone should do something incredibly stupid and then look for a pay day.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Niagara falls is not a business.

But lets assume it is for a moment. If Niagara falls repeatedly sees people putting their kids on the railing then they have a responsibility to build a better barrier. Should it result in a lawsuit? If Niagara falls was as negligent as the zoo was in refusing to address a potential safety problem that they were repeatedly warned about: absolutely. Try not to let that last bit go over your head. The zoo decided on multiple occasions that the cost of a dozen feet of screening/fencing/plexiglass was too much to bear to safeguard against the numerous warning of potential danger at that particular exhibit. The zoo prioritizes cost over safety.

Your inability to grasp the concept of liability doesn't render it invalid. Regardless of the attempts of yourself and others to dehumanize the Derkosh family make no mistake she was absolutely justified in pursuing litigation against the zoo, and probably just made the park a whole lot safer for the rest of us.
I was unaware that you held a law degree

Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
The only positive from this is that a few pittsburgh law firms turned down the chance at this money grab out respect for the zoos mission (and terrible pr) over a bogus quick buck lawsuit, unfortunately this firm out of Philly could have cared less.

It's a sad commentary overall that many people get undeserved money over the simple fact that insurance carriers will always settle a case based on cost analysis rather then merit. This would have been an expensive case to litigate - lots of discovery; many expert witnesses, & multiple days of trial, etc. & their insurer decided it would be cheaper to settle for x amount & admit no guilt rather then proceed.
The parents attorneys likewise presumably doubted their chances of winning & likewise jumped at the settlement offer.

They simply profited off of our broken litigation system like millions of others do every year & the rest of us lose.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
If anything seems "Pennsyltucky" it's your attitude that someone should do something incredibly stupid and then look for a pay day.
Thank you. When I saw the Pennsyltucky comment, the poster was far-reaching. So, because people don't agree with this, everyone is automatically an uneducated hick? I think not. Every single area in this country, there would be strong feelings related to something like this.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
They have a legal responsibility to protect their guests..even from their own absent mindedness. The zoo CHOSE not to.
And how far do you feel establishments need to idiot proof the people? We have to live with trains blowing their horns because people don't understand what a train track is. Do you want all exhibits covered in glass? See everything through a huge fence instead of some open air? Should the ticket prices increase by twofold because we need to help all idiots not get hurt or killed? How many people are killed in cars a year? We seem to not be able to idiot proof drivers very well. Where does it end? We try and dumb down society to the point we are no doubt going to all be buffoons. We shift blame because of accidents and the world has to pay for someone's mistake. How many years and how many people saw that exhibit before this mistake by the mother was made? We now can't see the dogs, due to this. Isn't that enough? They removed them. Maybe we better just have a bird exhibit there for safety. I think this idiot proofing needs to stop. We can't always ALL have to pay for someone's mistake. Believe it or not, mistakes will ALWAYS be made and what we get are massive overreactions. In this case we now can't see the painted dogs, we see nothing. What a wonderful education we will get once we dumb down everything because of a few people that make mistakes.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
I don't think this argument will ever come to a resolution. It saddens me every time I think about it that this poor boy died in such a manner.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If nothing else the hundreds of negative comments and thousands of associated "likes" of those comments on Facebook in media articles related to this settlement should let the Derkosh family know that they are now pariahs in Greater Pittsburgh for "cashing in" on being careless and inattentive. They'll probably take the money and run.
I remember looking at the lawsuit that was filed and I was surprised they were sueing for such a small amount. I doubt they walked away with very much cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Settlement should have been: they pay their own legal bills for a frivolous lawsuit!
If the judge determined that it was a frivolous lawsuit, it would have been tossed out and they would've paid both court costs and the legal costs of the zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Don't you DARE act like you speak for me or anyone else. Your ideals are what have helped destroy this country. Oh, and your concept of liability is just that, yours. In legal terms liability come down to whatever a weasel lawyer can convince a jury of. There is virtually no set legal standard.
I wasn't aware that this country had been destroyed. There are many potential liability suits that "weasel lawyers" can take. They choose they ones with the best chance of winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When they first filed this lawsuit, I said they'd settle out of court. It was a money grab. Nothing more.

Settling out of court doesn't make parks safer. Settlements happen all the time without anything changing. It doesn't set a president. All it does is give them money.
Both our legal and civil systems are designed to settle suits out of court. How does that make it a money grab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
It is impossible to protect people who make terrible decisions from themselves. Everyone knows railings aren't meant to be stood on, especially with a toddler who has little muscle control, even more so when you are standing over wild animals! Somehow the zoo managed to function 116 years with anyone dying during a visit.
I understand feeling sympathetic toward the family; I do not understand supporting this baseless lawsuit.
I feel bad for the zoo in all of this and I miss the painted dogs exhibit.
Civil courts are designed to determine who was negligent. In countries where the court system doesn't work, you have mob rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The only positive from this is that a few pittsburgh law firms turned down the chance at this money grab out respect for the zoos mission (and terrible pr) over a bogus quick buck lawsuit, unfortunately this firm out of Philly could have cared less.

It's a sad commentary overall that many people get undeserved money over the simple fact that insurance carriers will always settle a case based on cost analysis rather then merit. This would have been an expensive case to litigate - lots of discovery; many expert witnesses, & multiple days of trial, etc. & their insurer decided it would be cheaper to settle for x amount & admit no guilt rather then proceed.
The parents attorneys likewise presumably doubted their chances of winning & likewise jumped at the settlement offer.

They simply profited off of our broken litigation system like millions of others do every year & the rest of us lose.
All of this could possibly be true except for the fact the Derkosh family was not suing for very much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
And how far do you feel establishments need to idiot proof the people? We have to live with trains blowing their horns because people don't understand what a train track is. Do you want all exhibits covered in glass? See everything through a huge fence instead of some open air? Should the ticket prices increase by twofold because we need to help all idiots not get hurt or killed? How many people are killed in cars a year? We seem to not be able to idiot proof drivers very well. Where does it end? We try and dumb down society to the point we are no doubt going to all be buffoons. We shift blame because of accidents and the world has to pay for someone's mistake. How many years and how many people saw that exhibit before this mistake by the mother was made? We now can't see the dogs, due to this. Isn't that enough? They removed them. Maybe we better just have a bird exhibit there for safety. I think this idiot proofing needs to stop. We can't always ALL have to pay for someone's mistake. Believe it or not, mistakes will ALWAYS be made and what we get are massive overreactions. In this case we now can't see the painted dogs, we see nothing. What a wonderful education we will get once we dumb down everything because of a few people that make mistakes.
So it is OK if only a few children die? How many childen would have to die before it would be necessary to idiot proof an exhibit like this?

Sometimes it is inconvenient to have to idiot proof things. I remember when I didn't have to worry about getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. I remember when many pools had diving boards and some even had a high dive. Now try to find one. Diving boards were removed because the pool owners couldn't idiot proof them. So out society has determined that everything must be idiot proof or you can be held liable if an idiot injures himself.

It now costs all skiers more money for lift tickets because of the insurance ski resort owners must pay because of idiots who run into trees and off cliffs in places they shouldn't be skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh