Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:41 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I'm actually thinking about buying a cheap 3 bdr house, possibly in Beechview for my son and a few roomates to rent from me while he's in college here. Initially he will live with me, but I think we would both prefer for him to live on his own while he's in college. I think owning a rental property would be cheaper in the long run than subsidizing his rent if he moves out. I can continue to own it as a rental after he moves on or I could sell it. I have to crunch the numbers to see if I can actually afford to buy. I've never been a landlord and I'm not sure if it's something I want to take on. OTOH, working for a general contractor and being a homeowner has made me very knowledgeable about what goes into maintaining a home.
Or you could always rent-to-own it to me with $2,000 down and 100% interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
This is a massive albatross around your neck and the worst case scenario doesn't contemplate how hard it is to find good tenants that far out.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Or you could always rent-to-own it to me with $2,000 down and 100% interest.
Ok, as long as you buy the bridge I have for sale.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Having a husband where you help each other is different than managing umpteen roommates... What if they're late with their rent the same month the furnace goes.
That's true, but years before I went back to school as a homeowner I lived with no more than three roommates at a time while I was in college as a renter and never had any issues with people being unable to pay. We were very scrupulous in screening potential roommates and required a deposit. I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done without it becoming a disaster. You have to go into it well-aware of the pitfalls especially if you're doing it as a homeowner. I also wouldn't buy a home unless I had enough savings/income for repairs and maintenance. When I was a young renter/student I worked 20 hours a week during the school year and full time in the summers as did most of my roommates. When I went back to school years later I did the same and my husband was working full time. We don't know what the OP's resources are. I think we need to point out the risks involved, but there are ways to own a home while you're in college that won't necessarily result in financial ruin.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:40 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
there are risks obviously, but i figured owning a small place outweighs the cons of it. i'm still leary of moving in with random roommates and obviously trying to find a place close enough to take the bus to class and not going to cost me 800 a month for a 9x12 room.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 AM

How much liquid cash do you have for closing costs? Do you have paystubs and proof of ability to pay, or are you going to get your parents to cosign? What's your credit score? I've known of grad students doing this in Greenfield but they at least had a stipend to show the mortgage broker. I assume you've gotten preapproved at least.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
there are risks obviously, but i figured owning a small place outweighs the cons of it. i'm still leary of moving in with random roommates and obviously trying to find a place close enough to take the bus to class and not going to cost me 800 a month for a 9x12 room.
If you can't afford $800 a month, I have trouble believing you can afford the closing costs, maintenance, and just general "stuff" for a $90K house. You could do it, but the home better be in superb condition to begin with, and you'd need to be okay with spartan decorations and furnishings.

Also, there are plenty of places that have been suggested to you that wouldn't require spending $800 a month on a tiny room or having roommates. If you have your mind set on a house, then go for it, but it's silly to act like buying a house is your only viable option here.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Even without the risk of repairs and maintenance, the math doesn't work out. With bad credit and no down payment, plus utilities on a house being what they are, you're going to be lucky to be under 900/mo all told. Plus, having had a STEM major myself, you spend all your time in the lab anyway.
Plus look at how long the houses languish on the market in Trafford. There are people who can't sell the house for what they paid for it. Buy a house there and you are stuck for years.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
If you can't afford $800 a month, I have trouble believing you can afford the closing costs, maintenance, and just general "stuff" for a $90K house. You could do it, but the home better be in superb condition to begin with, and you'd need to be okay with spartan decorations and furnishings.

Also, there are plenty of places that have been suggested to you that wouldn't require spending $800 a month on a tiny room or having roommates. If you have your mind set on a house, then go for it, but it's silly to act like buying a house is your only viable option here.

its not that i cant afford it, its just i dont want to pay $800 for a tiny place with 2-3 roommates.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post

ive been looking at places mentioned to me and like i said, every single CL ad has failed on me. I had NINE people i was supposed to meet during the memorial weekend i wa sup in PGH. I went up thursday morning and didnt return until saturday afternoon.Out of all those NINE potential places to live, every single one bailed or their roommate doesnt want a CL person/they know someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh