Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,509 times

Advertisements

Good news (if you ask me). I enjoyed Piada both times I ate there in Columbus. Piada can best be described as an "Italian Chipotle." Now all we need is Jeni's Ice Cream Scoop Shops to decide to do the same.

Piada looking at Pittsburgh as next expansion city - Columbus - Business First

Piada > Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
sounds terrible (italian chipotle) but ive enjoyed my baci sandwiches from caffe baci in chicago. is it anything like that?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Interesting! Thanks for sharing! Now if only we could lure in Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream from the Buckeye State too!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Now if only we could lure in Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream from the Buckeye State too!
Last time I was in Columbus, all the Skylines in the places I knew had closed.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for sharing! Now if only we could lure in Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream from the Buckeye State too!
It's not hard to get Graeter's Ice Cream. They've been selling it in most Giant Eagles for a couple years.

Even Jeni's sells ice cream here and has for a couple years, if you don't mind spending $10 per pint!

But I also understand if it feels like the only "real" way to get that stuff is to go to one of their own shops. Several times I have looked and pulled out of the freezer case at Giant Eagle or McGinnis Sisters a pint of Jeni's salty caramel or some other flavor and then put it back because a) TEN bucks?!? and b) it probably won't taste the same. I have bought Graeter's before, not bad. But then I was making my own a lot, and right now I'm just not eating a lot of ice cream.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Of course you changed the topic right away, but I wanted to point out that Graeter's ice cream wouldn't have much appeal to those who want the real thing. They can stay in Ohio, we don't need another smoke and mirror ice cream company like Ben and Jerry's.

Here is their vanilla ingredients compared to Hagaan Daz and Jeni's.

Cream, milk, cane sugar, corn sugar, eggs, vanilla bean, vanilla extract, guar gum, locust bean gum.

Hagaan Daz:

cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract

Jeni's:

Ingredients: Snowville Creamery Milk, Snowville Cream, Sugar, Honey, Ugandan Vanilla Bean Extract (Fairtrade Ugandan Vanilla Beans, Alcohol), Ugandan Vanilla Beans, Sea Salt, Tapioca Starch

Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Jeni's:

Ingredients: Snowville Creamery Milk, Snowville Cream, Sugar, Honey, Ugandan Vanilla Bean Extract (Fairtrade Ugandan Vanilla Beans, Alcohol), Ugandan Vanilla Beans, Sea Salt, Tapioca Starch
I wonder whether tapioca starch is less obnoxious than the cornstarch she was using, or than guar gum, carrageenan, and their ick (sic).

Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Of course you changed the topic right away, but I wanted to point out that Graeter's ice cream wouldn't have much appeal to those who want the real thing.
Graeter's is the real thing if what you want is French Pot ice cream. It is a denser texture, a different thing than Hagaan Daz.

Also, I don't know where you are getting your ingredients from (maybe they ship something different), but I looked through all the flavors on this list and saw no corn sugar used except when it was something put into the ice cream (i.e. Oreo cookies).
Graeter's.com - Ice Cream Flavors

Granted, the vanilla page didn't open, but they say they use cane sugar here.

Graeter's Ice Cream, Quality Ingredients Make Our Ice Cream Better

Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Graeter's is the real thing if what you want is French Pot ice cream. It is a denser texture, a different thing than Hagaan Daz.

Also, I don't know where you are getting your ingredients from (maybe they ship something different), but I looked through all the flavors on this list and saw no corn sugar used except when it was something put into the ice cream (i.e. Oreo cookies).
Graeter's.com - Ice Cream Flavors

Granted, the vanilla page didn't open, but they say they use cane sugar here.

Graeter's Ice Cream, Quality Ingredients Make Our Ice Cream Better
Whether they use corn sugar wasn't his point, or at least, not his complete point. It's that Graeter's, like most ice cream makers, puts stablilizers in their ice cream, to wit, carob bean gum and guar gum. Makes for a nasty texture for some of us.

Chocolate: Nutritional Info

Caramel: Nutritional Info

Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Graeter's is the real thing if what you want is French Pot ice cream.
If a company can't make a simple vanilla without gum then it isn't that good. Last I checked, if I was to make vanilla at home, I certainly wouldn't add gum to it. I hate that odd texture, but that is what most are used to. Crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh