Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:28 AM

35 posts, read 33,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
I have a good friend here who's from Sweden and another friend whose parents are both from Sweden. As far as a substantial community goes, though, I don't think so; if there is, the people I know aren't involved with it.
Ah so I believe the swedes around my age would probably be either students studying in some of the universities there. I don't believe there's a specific community for just swedes but there should be some sort of "expats in pittsburgh" sort of community where there might be some scandinavians. Nevertheless, thanks for the input mate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Your work location in Cheswick is 2 miles from the bus stop.

Harmarville is close to Cheswick. It really isn't much of a neighborhood- they have a Target Store, a small grocery, several restaurants, a car dealership, a hotel or two, an offtrack betting facility but very few homes or permanent residents.
Ah I see, hm 2 miles isn't that bad I assume?

I thought so about Harmarville, small and probably not so many residents. Do you know, what are the "common" neighbourhoods up there around the Cheswick area? Or let's say neighbourhoods with a decent amount of housing options with a fair route to Cheswick.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's interesting to me to read this stuff about Swedish community in Pittsburgh. My spouse is Swedish-American (grandparents born in Sweden on his father's side). Until I met him (in Illinois), and moved to Colorado, I did not know many people of Swedish ancestry. There just aren't a lot in Pittsburgh. There are lots of Swedish-Americans in the midwest and western US. As for native-born Swedes, I know a few out here.

The job sounds great. I'd say go for it. You can make it work out, OP.
Hi Katiana,

It's nice to hear you also have some connections to Sweden. Do you live in Colorado at the moment? Obviously I would not expect it to be many fellow countrymen around there hehe. Just interesting to know whether there are anyone else who has taken the same step as I am interested to do.

Thank you very much, Yes it really does sounds great, I am meeting with the manager during my visit to talk more about the role. I mean, I love working with kids and moreover be a part of their enthusiasm. I know that the job itself wouldn't be a problem. It's just the matter of the outer factors such as, finding a good area to settle down, building connections with other people etc. I mean, it is a huge step to move to a new continent without knowing one single person, that's the sligthly scary thought. I'm not shy to make new firends and such, it'd just be a lot easier if I already knew some people, it's always comfortable.

Thanks a lot for your input and positive attitude about the relocation. It's a confidence boost.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Yes, I live in Colorado. The Swede I know who has to go back (he had a "deportation party" last weekend) was sponsored by the U of CO but he didn't want to work for them any more; he wanted a more financially remunerative job in the private sector (engineering). It's complicated. The other one is an engineer as well, and apparently has the correct visa.

Since you will be working with a soccer club, you will probably meet people quickly. I do think it would be scary, for me at 20 anyway, but I think you can do it. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 AM

14 posts, read 40,887 times
You might want to join Vibrant Pittsburgh's New Arrivals program: http://vibrantpittsburgh.org/wp-cont..._Form-2013.pdf

Vibrant Pittsburgh is a great org for new arrivals to Pittsburgh.Vibrant Pittsburgh

Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Oh I see, yes I know it can be such a hassle with the visas unfortunately. So he went back to Sweden? That's probably the last thing I want to do right now, times are really bad there right now, at least for anyone aged 20-25. The country is going downhill and everyone are just waiting for the next elections for a change to be done.

I've always been interested in America and in particular the area NY, PA, MA. I find Pittsburgh a really charming medium sized city, with overall good opportunites to settle down and make something out of life

I suppose you are right, it's a good enviroment to work in to meet people quickly. Cheers Kat! All the best to you too

Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcris View Post
You might want to join Vibrant Pittsburgh's New Arrivals program: http://vibrantpittsburgh.org/wp-cont..._Form-2013.pdf

Vibrant Pittsburgh is a great org for new arrivals to Pittsburgh.Vibrant Pittsburgh
Thanks for the advice mate, I will have a look at it after work ^^

Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 AM

524 posts, read 1,036,693 times
In my opinion, your best bet for finding housing is to talk with the soccer facility manager about your situation. Not having a car is going to be your biggest issue, as the facility is up quite a steep hill and down another hill, neither one having sidewalks or drivers used to a biking culture. You may find it very difficult to get back and forth without a car - think about leasing a small inexpensive car once you get here.

The communities around there include Harmarville, Cheswick, Springdale and Indianola. There are some apartment complexes, but you may have better luck with someone connected to someone at the soccer facility who has a basement, garage or attic apartment. If you could even secure a room in someone's house to stay while you find a more permanent place that would give you time to explore options. The good news is that the soccer facility draws from a lot of well-to-do communities around including Oakmont, Fox Chapel, O'Hara Township and even some from the North Hills. You being European will be a bit of a novelty, and you will likely find people who are willing to help you find a place to live. People are pretty friendly in that part of the world.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweem View Post
Hey mate, sure. The opportunity in Cheswick is basically to be a group leader at the Pisa indoor soccer facility, they have a program for children and a childrens team in which they have asked me whether I want to be a part of developing that and coach sessions & organizing events and so forth.

I can tell that I would probably not have access to a car for the first couple of months. As I do not own a car here in Malta either (no one needs to, because it's so small here, everything is by walking distance). It'd take a while until I could afford a car in Pittsburgh, at first I need to make sure I'd be all settled down first. Would you say it's a massive disadvantage? or is it possible to manage anyway?
I know exactly where it's located. I thought it was Indianola but it probably has a Cheswick address. It's in the middle of the woods in a rural setting. You can't access it directly via bus. You can't even easily get there from Cheswick.

The Freeport Road bus services Downtown all the way up route 28 to Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Blawnox, Cheswick, Springdale, New Kensington, Creighton, Tarentum. You could live in any of those towns, but you'll have to walk from Freeport Road to the Sports Complex. It's a 1.8 mile walk. There may be one bus that goes up Route 910. I'll look into it for you and post it here once I find out. If there is, you can live anywhere along whatever that bus route is. Your walk from Route 910 would be 1/2 mile. There are apartment rentals right near the facility, but grocery shopping is 1.8 miles away at the corner of Freeport Road and Route 910. If you can secure temporary housing there until you can buy a car, that would be ideal.

Based on my experience with a family member who works in a different sports field, my recommendation is to talk with the soccer facility about your housing and transportation concerns. If they want you badly enough, they will find accommodations for you. They'll also make arrangements for you to get your grocery done until you buy a car.

If this is something you want to do, you can make it work. It all comes down to how badly you want it. Only you know if this is a career move that will ultimately move you into a higher management position in another location somewhere in the world. The complex is in a rural setting but Pittsburgh is only 22 miles away and Millvale and Lawrenceville are only 17 miles away. My family member has moved into the middle of nowhere, where the closest major city was many hours away, without transportation. He carpooled with coworkers. With these types of careers, logistics of lodging and transportation are very challenging, but that's what people do to build their resumes for the sweet career positions later in life.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
In my opinion, your best bet for finding housing is to talk with the soccer facility manager about your situation. Not having a car is going to be your biggest issue, as the facility is up quite a steep hill and down another hill, neither one having sidewalks or drivers used to a biking culture. You may find it very difficult to get back and forth without a car - think about leasing a small inexpensive car once you get here.

The communities around there include Harmarville, Cheswick, Springdale and Indianola. There are some apartment complexes, but you may have better luck with someone connected to someone at the soccer facility who has a basement, garage or attic apartment. If you could even secure a room in someone's house to stay while you find a more permanent place that would give you time to explore options. The good news is that the soccer facility draws from a lot of well-to-do communities around including Oakmont, Fox Chapel, O'Hara Township and even some from the North Hills. You being European will be a bit of a novelty, and you will likely find people who are willing to help you find a place to live. People are pretty friendly in that part of the world.
Definitely it's a disadvantage, but my budget will likely take some harm from even leasing a car too often as well in the long run, even if that would make life easier in terms of travel. After a couple of months though, when settled down, the situation would be better. Aren't there bus options for instance anywhere, that passes by the area?

Hm you are right. Although I dislike living in someone elses house for a while though, I don't want to be a burden to someone else, I prefer not to. I wouldn't mind living "further" away if there would be bus connection in some kind of way, then I am open for that as a start, and then once the situation gets better, I could relocate to make it easier when I got everyhing in place. Haha really? So it's an advanatge being European? I didn't know. However I am sure people are firendly, that is the image and experiences I have from Americans I've met
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh