Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Always nice to get national attention. Paul Krugman explains when (and possibly how) the fates of Detroit and Pittsburgh diverged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
I don't understand Krugman's explanation.

He assigns blame for Detroit's economic collapse to "sprawl", but I don't see the logic. Plenty of sprawling cities are doing just fine, and Pittsburgh's biggest areas of growth are outside the center core- in Washington County and points north.

I think he's just choosing to blame Detroit on one of his boogeymen, "sprawl", because that's why he's preconditioned to do.

A conservative that was as preconditioned might assign Detroit's failure to its ultraliberal politics- but that wouldn't be fair either, as some hard left towns like Austin Texas seem to be doing just fine.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

He assigns blame for Detroit's economic collapse to "sprawl", but I don't see the logic. Plenty of sprawling cities are doing just fine, and Pittsburgh's biggest areas of growth are outside the center core- in Washington County and points north.

I think he's just choosing to blame Detroit on one of his boogeymen, "sprawl", because that's why he's preconditioned to do.

A conservative that was as preconditioned might assign Detroit's failure to its ultraliberal politics- but that wouldn't be fair either, as some hard left towns like Austin Texas seem to be doing just fine.
As former posts have noted, Pittsburgh is highly unusual in terms of the number of jobs we've retained downtown, so I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility to suggest part of why we've stayed so healthy is our downtown has stayed so important to the region.

On the other hand, one could argue, as I think Krugman is in his last sentence, that the Detroit metro is an excellent example of why what the Detroit suburbs needed was not so much a healthy auto industry, but a healthy core city. A ring of sprawling, decentralized suburbs cannot reinvent themselves when the central city is shot to hell. Cities are (except in rare cases, like Silicon valley) the engines of new ideas, new industries, and new businesses. Even if everyone doesn't want to live there, they still can't be lived without.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:49 PM

416 posts, read 581,399 times
Quote:
Imagine if those sprawling cities and Pittsburgh had abandoned huge swaths of their central business districts and core urban neighborhoods. Imagine if the East End were a collection of largely abandoned residential areas and manufacturing plants. That is essentially what happened in central Detroit. A city needs those areas to thrive. Most people don't understand that the "ruins of Detroit" are not fringe areas. They are walking distance from downtown. The nice parts within the city limits are largely farther out closer to the suburbs (Palmer Woods, Bagley, Rosedale Park, etc). In the 1950s Detroit became a sprawling city without a cohesive urban center and this contributed to its decline.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
Imagine if those sprawling cities and Pittsburgh had abandoned huge swaths of their central business districts and core urban neighborhoods. Imagine if the East End were a collection of largely abandoned residential areas and manufacturing plants. That is essentially what happened in central Detroit. A city needs those areas to thrive. Most people don't understand that the "ruins of Detroit" are not fringe areas. They are walking distance from downtown. The nice parts within the city limits are largely farther out closer to the suburbs (Palmer Woods, Bagley, Rosedale Park, etc). In the 1950s Detroit became a sprawling city without a cohesive urban center and this contributed to its decline.

Pittsburgh has a fair number of "ruins" as well, if you've been out to Esplen, Homewood Brushton, Braddock and other areas not terribly far from the center of the area.

Of course our geography is a lot different than Detroit's, a lot more physical and natural barriers around

Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 PM

416 posts, read 581,399 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh has a fair number of "ruins" as well, if you've been out to Esplen, Homewood Brushton, Braddock and other areas not terribly far from the center of the area.

Of course our geography is a lot different than Detroit's, a lot more physical and natural barriers around
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The areas I'm talking about are adjacent to downtown and well within the city limits. They are core areas. Homewood-Brushton and Esplen are not within the urban core and Braddock isn't even part of Pittsburgh. I'm not trying to downplay the obvious decay that exists here. But in Pittsburgh many of the most desirable areas are relatively close to downtown and even have their own commercial districts. The opposite is true in Detroit. The sprawl is a serious problem.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:

I agree. I think I read somewhere that Pittsburgh has over 20,000 vacant lots and around 20,000 vacant houses. As a city resident I do see a change in that things are getting better in my area. I reside in the north side area. It seems to be a double edged sword. Do you keep the vacant houses or tear them down? I am in favor of both. If houses can be saved then save them, refurbish and connect to new housing a buildings built around them. Pittsburgh and other cities facing similar issues such as cleveland, buffalo and detroit need to have a controlled growth plan as a region. They need to reuse old abandoned areas and put in restrictions not to destroy forests or farms to build new houses. Places like cranberry township are unsustainable without a strong city.

Pittsburgh cannot grow without migration (either from domestic and/or foreign). People have to want to move here. The issue is when they get here will their family and new ideas be welcomed? That to me is the biggest problem. Without new blood things stay stagnant.

The next biggest problem with western pa is going to be the suburbs and rural towns. If Pittsburgh does grow, the new migrants will be coming to the city and not the suburbs. There is going to be a surplus of vacant rural and suburban housing when the baby boomers pass away. Who is going to occupy them? Will they be the new slums in 10 years?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM

102 posts, read 197,068 times
Quote:

Name one big city in America that's conservative. I'll wait (I can think of Miami but Republicans do very well there due to Cuban poltiics). Even Houston has an openly gay democratic mayor.

Sprawl is a huge factor, crime, poor management. It's tragic. Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor look great though in comparison.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politiker View Post
Name one big city in America that's conservative. I'll wait (I can think of Miami but Republicans do very well there due to Cuban poltiics). Even Houston has an openly gay democratic mayor.

Sprawl is a huge factor, crime, poor management. It's tragic. Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor look great though in comparison.
Correlation does not equal causation.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM

172 posts, read 333,129 times
I don't understand Krugman's explanation, either. A couple of points:

1. Krugman notes that the metro areas of both Pittsburgh and Detroit were doing comparably until about 2006. But Detroit went ghetto long before that: its white population went from 70% of the city in 1960 to 30% of the city in 1980. The white population didn't flee the area; it just fled the city for the suburbs. So we have the question: if sprawl caused Detroit to decline post-2006, why did it wait 25 years (from 1980 or so) to do it?

2. Yes, Detroit has ghettos immediately adjacent to downtown. So does Pittsburgh: it's called the Hill District.

3. Pittsburgh has also sprawled; the Brookings Institute, which Krugman cites, found in 2001 that Pittsburgh had one of the worst sprawl issues in the country, as other metro areas were sprawling and adding population, while we were sprawling but losing or staying static in population.

4. Krugman suggested that Pittsburgh was once a once-industry town just like Detroit. Not so; Pittsburgh had US Steel but also Heinz, Westinghouse, Koppers, Alcoa, Gulf, and many more. Steel was huge here, but never as huge as the auto industry was for Detroit.

I grew up in metro Detroit and can think of reason after reason why metro Pittsburgh is a better place; the health of the center city is one of them. But sprawl didn't cause metro Detroit's economy to tank post-2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh