Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I assume most people would be using an FHA loan for their first homes. You can use a seller assist to cover closing costs up to 6% of sale price. and you can buy with 3.5% down so on a 100k home you can seriously walk out of closing with 4k or under out of pocket.

Now if buying a duplex or up to 4 unit, you can still do the above, but can also use the current rents (75%) as YOUR income to qualify you on more loan. and at closing you will get pro rated rents/security deposits back from the seller. So you can actually leave the closing table at almost a wash. I have done this exact scenario, so its not just in theory.
ITA. I have never paid full closing costs and our recent purchase the seller paid all of them. I was flabbergasted ( but very happy) when the buyer of our house did not ask for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
wow. 300 a month? How much did you put down or how much is this house?
4% interest conventional loan with no PMI (through a PHFA program), 5% down, and the house was $50K.

Even with 6% seller assist my cash due at closing was over 4 grand.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,435 times
Quote:
I assume most people would be using an FHA loan for their first homes. You can use a seller assist to cover closing costs up to 6% of sale price. and you can buy with 3.5% down so on a 100k home you can seriously walk out of closing with 4k or under out of pocket.

Now if buying a duplex or up to 4 unit, you can still do the above, but can also use the current rents (75%) as YOUR income to qualify you on more loan. and at closing you will get pro rated rents/security deposits back from the seller. So you can actually leave the closing table at almost a wash. I have done this exact scenario, so its not just in theory.
Yeah and under the new FHA rules you will have mortgage insurance premiums for the life of the mortgage. The FHA used to be a decent program, but now with all of the costs it is worth saving up and getting a conventional mortgage. When I purchased recently I looked into the FHA, but decided to go with a conventional mortgage because of all the upfront fees and the long term mortgage insurance associated with FHA loans now.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's also a Catch 22, though, because overpaying so much for rent makes it more difficult to save to buy a home.
Basically what you are doing is living above your means right now. Polish Hill is an arguable trendy neighborhood and clearly a more expensive neighborhood than you will end up purchasing a home. I think it is probably time that you give up the dream of living in the East End, if Polish Hill is the East End, and focus more on the dream of owning a home. By moving to a cheaper area you will save a few hundred bucks a month and be able to save up $4000 within a year or two.

Another thought, could your partner drive for your company one night a week and put his tips straight into a savings account. I would imagine you could give him a pretty sweet shift.

Last edited by robrobrob; 07-30-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,242 times
According to this article...unemployment in Pittsburgh drops to a new low:

Unemployment in Pittsburgh region falls to lowest in post-recession recovery - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
According to this article...unemployment in Pittsburgh drops to a new low:

Unemployment in Pittsburgh region falls to lowest in post-recession recovery - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Needs more U6 numbers n'at.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:

Sounds like what I did 20 plus years ago. Bought a duplex, the income from the unit was considered, the seller paid some of my closing costs, it was a win-win.

It's a great way to get into home ownership, and it's still relatively cheap in the Pgh area.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Needs more U6 numbers n'at.
Pittsburgh's "U6" is probably lower than that of most major metropolitan areas as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,229 times
The story about the house I posted in the Deutschtown thread was linked to this blog post from the P-G:

Little old houses ISO quirky niche market

Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

Sounds like what I did 20 plus years ago. Bought a duplex, the income from the unit was considered, the seller paid some of my closing costs, it was a win-win.

It's a great way to get into home ownership, and it's still relatively cheap in the Pgh area.
yeah it is. Great way to get into a home and start building equity.

I thought the new FHA regs with PMI for life of the loan didnt go into effect until 2014? currently you have to have PMI for a minimum of 5 years and you can lose it after that if you have 22% equity. so you would have to have an appraisal done showing the home has increased in calue or be paying extra per month to be at 22%.

but either way, in several years ( prob about 5-7) the option to refi to a conventional loan would allow the buyer to drop PMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh