Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Or maybe Greenfield, for example: Charming 4BR/2BA Remodeled Single Family House Not as walkable as others but there are a couple places. It's near Big Jim's! Only bad thing about this is a bridge that is closing will make it harder to get some places, or at least might make the traffic somewhat worse down in that spot.

BTW if searching Craigslist don't automatically assume people will have checked the "dogs" box in their ad. I have seen some ads where they don't bother but still say pets are okay, and some small landlords may be flexible when you talk to them.
If the hospital OP will be working at is in Oakland, that location is perfect. She could walk to work via the Panther Hollow Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:21 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If the hospital OP will be working at is in Oakland, that location is perfect. She could walk to work via the Panther Hollow Trail.
A colleague of mine lives here in "The Run", and she loves it. She calls it the nation's "biggest cul-de-sac" because there are a couple hundred homes down there, yet everyone seems to generally know everyone being that there's really only one way in and one way out. I agree it's ideal for commuting into Oakland via walking or cycling.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaxie View Post
Thank you for the info! It is sounding like Brookline is an area we need to look at. I have heard conflicting opinions on Garfield. My dog is small...under 25 lbs. I do understand that due to the age of most housing in Pittsburgh, 2 bathrooms is definitely hard to find. We are flexible on the size of a rental. We really only need 2 bedrooms and will adjust to the 1 bathroom situation. We have been hesitant to consider apartments or 2nd floor duplex type rentals, mainly because we are concerned this would be a hassle with our dog. We have never lived in this type of a rental, and just don't want our dog barking every time he hears a door slam, etc. It is sounding like we may need to open our minds to this type of housing though. I appreciate any other thoughts/opinions. We are planning a trip to the area at the end of the month to check it out.
Even though our forum tends to be very East-End-centric due to having a dense concentration of members who live here (we do house just over 50% of the city's population, too), I'm a big proponent of the walkable South Hills areas (particulary Brookline) making a huge comeback in relatively short time. The East End rental market will eventually be pricing out many entry-level homebuyers and younger renters in the coming years, and they'll want to pounce upon areas that are within their budget and still "city-like". Brookline Boulevard, the main drag through the neighborhood, is currently undergoing a great streetscape overhaul with new lighting, benches, landscaping, etc. The business district is very usable for day-to-day needs of residents, and I predict the gussying up of the streetscape will only further attract more businesses. I'm actually predicting that Brookline Boulevard will eventually (longer-term) fare as well as Butler Street in Lawrenceville, Carson Street in the South Side, or Walnut Street in Shadyside in terms of variety of restaurants, grocers, retailers, nightlife, etc. because the South Hills neighborhoods of the city don't really have a very vital business district like any of these examples but are becoming more gentrified and will soon demand one nearby.

I also really like Beechview. I tend to think rental prices will appreciate more rapidly in the coming years in Brookline than in Beechview, even though Beechview is walkable to the "T" (light rail), because Beechview's business district is much more anemic than Brookline's and its topography, overall, is very hilly. Beechview always reminded me of the "Greenfield of the South Hills". It's a perfectly safe and affordable neighborhood with great people, but it's not particularly pretty or as easy to walk around in as many other nearby neighborhoods.

Greg42 was also spot-on about recommending Dormont. While I always advocate city living Dormont is actually more dense in terms of built environment than many city neighborhoods, is walkable to the "T", and is close to the Liberty Tunnel, as well as Uptown Mt. Lebanon and South Hills Village/Galleria. Dormont being a suburb also means you'd pay a lower local income tax. I also really personally like the residential architecture in Dormont. I've heard property taxes are high in Dormont, but if you're renting this may not be an issue, as I've noticed on CraigsList that Dormont's rents tend to still be cheaper than comparable city neighborhoods' rents.

Garfield is still a bit of an "urban pioneer" area. We have a lesbian couple as friends who have been living happily on Dearborn Street and want us (gay couple) to buy there also to be their neighbors. Penn Avenue is an odd mish-mash right now of hipster hangouts catering to Friendship residents (i.e. Quiet Storm), upscale restaurants catering to those in wealthier East End neighborhoods (Salt of the Earth/NaCL, Verde, etc.), and businesses that still cater to the black community of the "hill" in Garfield. I think Garfield, given its unique location, is poised for successful mixed-race/mixed-income revival in the next decade or so, but right now you'd have to be taking a gamble hoping that the neighborhood DOES improve and not decline.

Greenfield is similar to Beechview, in my humble opinion. Hilly, uninteresting architecture, safe, relatively affordable, somewhat (although not very) walkable. Greenfield is in a good public school feeder pattern, though, which has begun to nudge rental prices upwards as families are priced out of nearby Squirrel Hill yet still want to be close to the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh