Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Trying to picture these. Not coming up with anything.
I'm surprised you've never been along Fifth Avenue in Shadyside before.

Pretty much 75% of the architecture along Fifth Avenue between Aiken & Shady is bland, tan, utilitarian, "garden-styled" garbage. Yes, the landscaping is pretty, but otherwise the entire corridor looks very dated and "ho-hum"; this is certainly NOT what I want to see replicated via One Grandview.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm surprised you've never been along Fifth Avenue in Shadyside before.

Pretty much 75% of the architecture along Fifth Avenue between Aiken & Shady is bland, tan, utilitarian, "garden-styled" garbage. Yes, the landscaping is pretty, but otherwise the entire corridor looks very dated and "ho-hum"; this is certainly NOT what I want to see replicated via One Grandview.
They're hardly "tenement styled." And when you put forth such ludicrous exaggerations, you render suspect everything else you say.

Goodness.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM

288 posts, read 511,528 times
The article mentions a platform being stage one of connecting a glass stairway from there to East Carson street. If that actually took place, it would be pretty cool. Fitness fanatics could all move to Mt. Washington and traverse the stairs everyday to and from work.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:22 PM

252 posts, read 348,301 times
Quote:
Pretty much 75% of the architecture along Fifth Avenue between Aiken & Shady is bland, tan, utilitarian, "garden-styled" garbage.
SCR, have you been in any of those buildings? The outsides may not be interesting but the one South of Fifth at Fifth and Shady is actually rather nice on the inside and IIRC has original hardwood floors. Personally I'd rather have buildings that are nice on the inside and cheap on the facade than the other way around, although with a lot of newer construction you end up with both!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
SCR, have you been in any of those buildings? The outsides may not be interesting but the one South of Fifth at Fifth and Shady is actually rather nice on the inside and IIRC has original hardwood floors. Personally I'd rather have buildings that are nice on the inside and cheap on the facade than the other way around, although with a lot of newer construction you end up with both!
Considering the vast majority of the rest of Shadyside is comprised of stately Victorian-styled architecture I just think having Fifth Avenue lined with stoic-looking, bland, beige/tan, 1960s-era garden-styled apartments is quite unfortunate. What was originally located where all of these buildings are? Were these lots all once home to beautiful mansions like the ones near Fifth & Amberson? I just don't want to see buildings like this built at the One Grandview site, and it looks as if the developer(s) may have taken a cue from this, as the most current plans call for a 20-story high-rise after all.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
What was originally located where all of these buildings are? Were these lots all once home to beautiful mansions like the ones near Fifth & Amberson?
Yes. And it's a building style that's fairly limited to the 1960s, maybe '50s.

Quote:
I just don't want to see buildings like this built at the One Grandview site, and it looks as if the developer(s) may have taken a cue from this, as the most current plans call for a 20-story high-rise after all.
These days, a new apartment building will probably look more like the condo next to Temple Beth Shalom at 5859 Beacon Street. But who knows?

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CC8QxB0wAA

Old 01-10-2015, 12:19 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
There is to be yet another new proposal on the 1 grandview site. Details are to be laid out at the community meeting this thursday evening. I will try to make it and report back on the news.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 AM

664 posts, read 807,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
We're talking about prime real estate
There's prime, and then there's PRIME.

The problem with Mount Washington is that all it has going for it is a view. A magnificent view, to be sure, but JUST a view.

Outside of the view, the neighborhood of Mount Washington is pretty dumpy, parking is nearly impossible, the streets are difficult to navigate, there's pretty much only one way to access the neighborhood (and unless you live there it's completely out of your way), and there's really nothing else there, like clubs, restaurants, or coffeehouses like you might find in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:43 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
^^^^ You haven't been up to Mt Washington in a while its not a complete dump... It has a nice business district off of Grandview.

I've said this before and I stand by my assertion that Mt. Washington has the bones to be and will be the next "hipster haven" ala L'ville except with more luxury living along Grandview. It's already starting its Gentrification process as it feeds from the popularity of SS Flats.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM

664 posts, read 807,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
^^^^ You haven't been up to Mt Washington in a while its not a complete dump... It has a nice business district off of Grandview.

I've said this before and I stand by my assertion that Mt. Washington has the bones to be and will be the next "hipster haven" ala L'ville except with more luxury living along Grandview. It's already starting its Gentrification process as it feeds from the popularity of SS Flats.
I was up on Mount Washington last October. Has it changed much since then?

Look, I never said it was a "complete dump". And yes, it does have a nice business district.

But so does Bloomfield. And so does Etna. And so do most other economically viable neighborhoods. But that's not really a draw. Mt. Washington needs much, much more than a nice view (from one street) to be considered "prime" real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh