Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post

I've never actually been a fan of pumpkin beers, so unlikely to suffer that sticker shock, but do love Southern Tier - visited their brew pub last month, great place.

Beer should taste like beer, not pumpkins.

I'd rather go for an Iron or a Pabst- something that tastes like its supposed to taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'd rather go for an Iron or a Pabst- something that tastes like its supposed to taste.
Those taste as much like beer (or not) as anything with pumpkin or whatever else in it. But hey, drink what you like.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Those taste as much like beer (or not) as anything with pumpkin or whatever else in it. But hey, drink what you like.
I must confess I agree, but am also not a pumpkin/spice/fruit ale fan. Best beer tonight I tried in Industry was Great Lakes Octoberfest. Quite delicious. Of course this was the best of the 4 I tasted - 40 to go

Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 PM

419 posts, read 551,945 times
Quote:
I must confess I agree, but am also not a pumpkin/spice/fruit ale fan. Best beer tonight I tried in Industry was Great Lakes Octoberfest. Quite delicious. Of course this was the best of the 4 I tasted - 40 to go
Like I said bar food type town. The above examples cover the beer aspect of the Pittsburgh dining scene.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Like I said bar food type town. The above examples cover the beer aspect of the Pittsburgh dining scene.
Sorry pghdude28, seems we forgot the food for a little while with our enthusiasm for some of the excellent regional artisan seasonal beer.

Here's some Pittsburgh food I've eaten in last few weeks. Sorry if images are a bit big, but I took them just for you. How's this compare with your nightly delivery Pizza Hut order? With extra bread sticks and coke, of course ...

Old 09-22-2013, 06:09 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
What, no grilled cheese n'at?

I tend to agree, there are a ton of good restaurants in this area, wasted on my blue-collar palate. Luckily my wife has good taste.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
What, no grilled cheese n'at?

I tend to agree, there are a ton of good restaurants in this area, wasted on my blue-collar palate. Luckily my wife has good taste.
And many are not exactly expensive. You can spend as much on average bar or fast food as you can on delicious Asian fare in places like Squirrel Hill. the quality to cost ratio in thsi city is very pleasurable

Promised Industry Public House thoughts ...

Arrived about 7.15pm Friday and grabbed seats at the bar. Started with a delicious $5 (happy hour) mushroom and chevre flatbread. Then had the pot roast atop a pile of tasty mash and gravy, and the quesadilla-type plate with some superbly cooked, marinated flank steak. Pot roast was $14-ish, other a little cheaper I think. Definitely fits into its gastopub lablel as the food was, as someone has said already on here, 'upmarket bar food'. I rarely eat burgers but the ones we saw coming out looked worthy of trying next time.

The beer selection on tap is impressive - a nice seasonal selection right now, and East End brewing and Arsenal cider to support locals. Hopefully they'll carry the beers from the new Lawrenceville breweries soon. Wife has two cocktails including the smoke stack - quite a performance!! They were good - they pay attention to details and have homemade syrups/infusions. Excellent service too. Friendly bar staff.

Overall, liked it a lot. Great atmosphere, a place I could hang out, graze and drink for quite a while.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Sounds like you know your restaurants. I pretty much know all the dive places with good meatman meals and cheap beer. Thank God I married a woman with class.

Did you take those photos yourself? I recall reading an article that some restaurants were not allowing that.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Here's some Pittsburgh food I've eaten in last few weeks.
Nice pictures. 95% of non-pro food pictures online suck, but most of yours are nice, i.e., all but one make me want to take a bite. The exception: what foodstuff is that in Pic #5, on the turquoise bead plate? The apparent pureedness makes it look kind of like dog vomit, yet my brain tells me it's something I might really like.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Nice pictures. 95% of non-pro food pictures online suck, but most of yours are nice, i.e., all but one make me want to take a bite. The exception: what foodstuff is that in Pic #5, on the turquoise bead plate? The apparent pureedness makes it look kind of like dog vomit, yet my brain tells me it's something I might really like.
Korean-style kobe beef tartare - Notion in East Liberty. It was was very tasty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh