Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 4,919 times

Advertisements

Hi All.....thanks for taking the time to read and respond. We are currently living in the Atlanta burbs but inherited some real estate in Carrick area and thinking of moving up to the burgh. The house is very small but we would only have to live there a couple years before we could move to a little better area. The house is near Brownsville Rd/Maytide St. We have visited it several times and while not great it does not seem overly dangerous - but again I don't live there so not 100% sure....any immediate thoughts on that area of Carrick? It would be my wife, our 2 year old and myself. I work from home and our little one would be in daycare. Wife has family in the area and is somewhat of a home body but I am very active outdoors, running, racquetball, etc. Also love to play poker =)

Also - my wife is a teacher and looking at a teaching position in the East Liberty area....just a quick search shows this area less than great but undergoing a lot of revitalization and urban renewal. There would not be much traveling to the area outside of school time: 7AM -3PM..maybe rare occasion of after school mtg or Parent teacher conference, etc.

We need to possibly make a decision soon and it is a huge move for us..we are in a very nice, safe community right now but being close to her family would make my wife very happy and having the house given to us would be a nice asset to have even if it is pretty small. I do also have my real estate license, btw.

Thanks in advance!

Elapidae18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
I don't know much about Carrick so I won't say anything there, but there's no need to be concerned about traveling to East LIberty for work during regular business hours. It's still a little rough around the edges in areas, but nothing to be concerned about beyond regular street smarts that you need in any city neighborhood.

Would she be driving or using public transportation?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Is the house actually on Maytide? When it comes to crime in the neighborhood the rule of thumb usually is that the closer you are to a highly traveled walking path the higher the chance you will experience theft or other crimes. Since Maytide is not often used as a walking path but rather a driving path you should be ok. However I should point out that parking/pulling out on a house on Maytide is... challenging, especially in the winter.

Honestly I feel safer walking around East Liberty than I do Carrick, wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are coming from a safe neighborhood there may be a bit of culture shock hanging out in these two neighborhoods.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 4,919 times
@ferraris - she would be driving all the time for sure. Thanks for the input on the area..

@aqua teen carl - it's not actually on Maytide but very close...couple streets over. Yes...we have visited her family 3-4 times in last couple years...it's definitely different. I am ok with different as long as it's not dangerous. It's a temporary move, IMO. I think the weather will be the biggest thing coming from Atlanta!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
Driving to east lib from carrick and back could be rough.

The traffic during rush hour Is often at a standstill near the liberty tunnels or e Carson.

That area of carrick is ok. Maytide is busy and parking sucks on that street.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 PM

419 posts, read 551,746 times
So you have inherited this house in Pittsburgh. I think a much broader question you should be asking is why do you want to leave Atlanta? I understand family reasons may be one and moving because of family has its pros and cons. My advice to you would be to actually visit Pittsburgh first and get a "feel" for it. Tour around the neighborhoods. Drive on some of the roads. Picture yourself having a daily routine and life there. You may find it as an appealing, livable, dreamy place or a run down, depressing nightmare. If I had a choice between East Liberty or Carrick, it would definitely be East Liberty.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Maytide is a very busy secondary street with access from Brownsville Road to Rte 51. Generally a good area, don't think there is much in the way of crime there.

Let's wait for Uptown Kid!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Let's wait for Uptown Kid!!!
He covers the crime beat.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
So you have inherited this house in Pittsburgh. I think a much broader question you should be asking is why do you want to leave Atlanta? I understand family reasons may be one and moving because of family has its pros and cons. My advice to you would be to actually visit Pittsburgh first and get a "feel" for it. Tour around the neighborhoods. Drive on some of the roads. Picture yourself having a daily routine and life there. You may find it as an appealing, livable, dreamy place or a run down, depressing nightmare. If I had a choice between East Liberty or Carrick, it would definitely be East Liberty.

Sheesh, PghDude, you are so depressing. Do you ever have a good day?

There are some decent places in Carrick, who is to say it won't be a good move for the poster?

Debbie Downer.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
If you decide you don't want the house, maybe SteelCityRising will buy it from you. It's only 0.4 mi to Long John Silver's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh