Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM

28 posts, read 54,263 times

Advertisements

I live in Beechview and we are all noticing a much increased police presence this week. Their are a lot of rumors flying but one caught my attention and is ringing true.

The Mexican gangs have arrived.

If you know my neighborhood it varies close to 60% Latin. Most of the nationalities are split between the town. South American on one side and Mexican on the other. The two groups hate each other. Recently the bar fights have started brewing.

This has a few of us on edge and the more paranoid of us saying after they bought IGA they moved the gangs in. Has anyone else seen or heard anything to that affect?

I do know if either of the two gangs came to Pittsburgh any of the little gangs we got now would get pushed out fast.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:44 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I live in Beechview and haven't noticed any police presence at all lately. And I think you mean 6%, not 60%.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:45 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And I think you mean 6%, not 60%.
I look at the 2010 census figures because I thought 60% sounded absurd. It was 5.6% then.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd1513 View Post
I live in Beechview and we are all noticing a much increased police presence this week. Their are a lot of rumors flying but one caught my attention and is ringing true.

If you know my neighborhood it varies close to 60% Latin. Most of the nationalities are split between the town. South American on one side and Mexican on the other. The two groups hate each other. Recently the bar fights have started brewing.

This has a few of us on edge and the more paranoid of us saying after they bought IGA they moved the gangs in. Has anyone else seen or heard anything to that affect?

I do know if either of the two gangs came to Pittsburgh any of the little gangs we got now would get pushed out fast.

MS-13 generally doesn't battle black gangs, and even if they were here, they would be smart enough to avoid conflict with gangs that outnumber them 100-1.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
If you know my neighborhood it varies close to 60% Latin.
As of the last census, Beechview was something like 5% Hispanic. It may have increased a little bit since, and it may seem like more right around Broadway, but it's nothing close to 60%.

Quote:
After "they" bought the IGA "they" moved the gangs in? Looking up online, the new owners of the IGA (the Berumen brothers) appear to be Mexican. But I can't see in what world you'd think it would be good for them to bring in gangs when they take over a supermarket. They've run smaller Las Palmas in the area for years with no "Latino gang" influx.

*headdesk*

Last edited by eschaton; 09-25-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 01:52 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
But I can't see in what world you'd think it would be good for them to bring in gangs when they take over a supermarket.
Gangs like Safeway. Everybody knows this.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
If either of these gangs were in PGH, you'd be seeing "LK" tags with little crowns or "MS XIII" ones. See any of those?

Who are these people saying that "they" bought the grocery store? It's best not to take insider tips on what gangs are in town from crazy racists.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Beechview is 60% Latin? Really? Did everyone else move out of Beechview?

Paranoid to say the least! What do you mean by "they moved the gangs in?" Like as they literally recruited Mexican gang members to move to Beechview now that they owned a struggling IGA supermarket?

I am assuming the "they" you are referring to are Gabriel and his brothers, who also own 3 other successful grocery stores in Pittsburgh and Washington, PA. Using "they" is horribly offensive.

As a Brookliner, the new owners of IGA have NOTHING to do with any sort of gang activity as far as anyone could ever tell. As owners of Las Palmas have been nothing but a great addition to our neighborhood and our business district.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:03 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
After "they" bought the IGA "they" moved the gangs in? Looking up online, the new owners of the IGA (the Berumen brothers) appear to be Mexican. But I can't see in what world you'd think it would be good for them to bring in gangs when they take over a supermarket. They've run smaller markets in Brookline, Oakland, Beechview, and Dormont for years with no "Latino gang" influx.

*headdesk*
And the Jimenez family has been running their store in Beechview for, like, ten years without bringing in gangs. Also, I didn't know that street gangs get brought into neighborhoods by request. Do they have a website, or do you just have to "like" them on Facebook?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:

Has anything gang related actually happened? If so, has it been a sudden increase?

No offense, but this sounds like the run up to a classic white flight situation. Lots of hearsay and rumors about "them." Don't let yourself get stressed out and fearful of something may not even be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh