Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:15 PM

43 posts, read 150,563 times

Advertisements

I realize every city has some proud fans and some places are better known for pro sports than others, but what do you think causes pro sports in Pittsburgh to take on almost a cult-like following? Blue-collared background? Being kind of isolated from other cities? Same colors for all teams? Good marketing?

Before you say I'm over-exaggerating...have you ever gone for a drive around town or to the grocery store while a Steelers game was in progress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
It's not just Pittsburgh. My wife was teaching in Columbus years ago on a Saturday, and half of the people that signed up for the seminar cancelled. There was an Ohio State game that day, game didn't start until 8PM, and it was in Texas.

Some people just love their teams.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I find sports more preeminent here, too, compared to DC or NJ. Yes, people love sports everywhere. No, I don't recall ever thinking "Great, the store won't be crowded" on days when there was a Redskins game. Of course, I lived in Dupont Circle, not NoVa or Montgomery County.

Last edited by jay5835; 10-26-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
To this day I'm still amazed that enthusiasm for sports is romanticized when it involves the people where I currently live, but demonized when it involves the people where I used to live.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:03 PM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It's not just Pittsburgh. My wife was teaching in Columbus years ago on a Saturday, and half of the people that signed up for the seminar cancelled. There was an Ohio State game that day, game didn't start until 8PM, and it was in Texas.

Some people just love their teams.
On the other hand, we were in NYC as the Stanley cup playoffs started this year. For those who aren't necessarily big sports fans, the NYC metro area has two NFL teams, three NHL teams (including the NJ Devils), two NBA teams and two MLB teams. These people take their sports as serious as anyone.

During our visit (again, early May when the Stanley Cup Playoffs started), you would have never known the Rangers or the Islanders where involved. Although I am a huge hockey fan, it was so refreshing to go about our way and not see people wearing sports jerseys everywhere you go.

I can't remember which magazine it was, but Pittsburgh was named one of the worst dressed cities in the US, and they called the sense of style here "game day casual", which is spot on.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
I realize every city has some proud fans and some places are better known for pro sports than others, but what do you think causes pro sports in Pittsburgh to take on almost a cult-like following? Blue-collared background? Being kind of isolated from other cities? Same colors for all teams? Good marketing?

Before you say I'm over-exaggerating...have you ever gone for a drive around town or to the grocery store while a Steelers game was in progress?
You are just over-exaggerating.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You are just over-exaggerating.
Couldn't agree more. Many places are like Pittsburgh, I'm sure. Life in the whole of WA is quiet when the Seahawks play. At ski hills, the lift lines disappear if they're playing at home Sunday at 1.30. Same in OR when either of the college teams played. We loved it

Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 PM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
Better yet, have you ever been ANYWHERE in Allegheny, Butler, Westmoreland, or Fayette counties and not seen ANYONE with Steelers or Penguins clothing on?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
We need an auto-delete feature in this forum for threads that are started to complain about, sports, the lack of diversity, and the yinzers. Just post in one of the hundreds of others threads already dedicated to these subjects. Better yet, don't come to Pittsburgh if you can't respect the things that give the city it's own local flavor.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
We need an auto-delete feature in this forum for threads that are started to complain about, sports, the lack of diversity, and the yinzers. Just post in one of the hundreds of others threads already dedicated to these subjects. Better yet, don't come to Pittsburgh if you can't respect the things that give the city it's own local flavor.
I'd second that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh