Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 AM

14 posts, read 18,547 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm very appreciative of any input you can provide me about surbuban areas around Pittsburgh for a possible relocation. Here's the background:Family of 4 - two elementary school children. Lived in NJ suburbs of NYC our whole lives but have been interested in moving somewhere with a slower pace of life, friendly environment and higher quality of life. Currently we both have the option to work at home so literally can live anywhere in the US. Would prefer to have 4 seasons and the ability to drive occasionally within 6 or so hours to see family in NY and NJ. I guess we want the typical stuff that families want: would prefer to buy a 4 bedroom home in a town with a nice community feel and high rated schools. Price would be around $350K or less. We like to do outdoor stuff - hiking, biking, going to parks, see sport events and local cultural events. My son is into soccer, basketball and lacrosse. My daughter takes dance and gymnastics.Currently we live in large middle class township about 20 mis west of NYC. While there are aspects we like about the town (community feel) there is a whole keeping up with the Jones and uptight/unfriendly vibe permating this whole area. The NJ houswife-esque lifestyles are a turn off as well. We do like the older more established neighborhoods (50+ or more years old) and tree'd streets of our suburb so would like an area with that feel.Although we live close to NYC we don't generally take advantage of it much because of the traffic and expense and hassle to get in and out. We figure that maybe if we lived near a smaller/mid sized city we might go in more often.We visited Charlotte during the spring to see if that would fit our needs but I didn't like how new everything was or the tract housing, and was concerned about how hot it gets in the summer and how far it was from NJ/NY. I did some research on CD and online and some towns that seem like options include Sewickley, Aspinwall, Bellevue, Avalon, Bradford Woods and Oakmont.we plan to visit Pittsburgh in the next month to get a sense of the city. Any suggestions for places to check out would be appreciated. Thanks again for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
I was thinking "Sewickley" as I read this entire post. In terms of relatively upscale areas with good school districts, established but intact and attractive housing, tree-lined streets, and small-town business district vibe... I don't think it gets much better than that. (Actually, I have no idea what the school district is like there, but presumably good?) One to consider that isn't on your list: Mt. Lebanon.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
For people wanting what you're looking for, the top recommendations will always be Sewickley, Aspinwall, and Mount Lebanon. Keep in mind that while Pittsburgh is slower paced, these areas are among the wealthiest in Allegheny County, so you'll feel more of the snooty vibe there than anywhere else (although I think it would be less overall).

Although Oakmont is quite nice, and I think the public schools would fit you fine, they aren't in a top school district, because they share theirs with a working-class mill town (Verona). Bellevue/Avalon are slightly faded glories from their past days and also have a meh school district. Nearby Ben Avon and Ben Avon Heights have a more well-regarded school district and some housing stock of similar quality however.

Bradford Woods isn't very distinguishable from the rest of the suburban North Hills, from what I've seen. It's certainly one of the least "town" feeling of the boroughs in the county.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM

225 posts, read 323,846 times
Consider Ben Avon, which is just north of Bellevue, but in a better school district. It has the nice older homes and walkable streets.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
If you like good wines, be sure to stock up on your favorites (and scotch) before you move here.

Mt. Lebanon is a good choice. Upper St. Clair maybe. Advantage of both is that there's a trolley line into downtown (PNC/Heinz/Cultural District) that doesn't exist east, west or north of the city.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Although Oakmont is quite nice, and I think the public schools would fit you fine, they aren't in a top school district, because they share theirs with a working-class mill town (Verona)
Something else to be aware of regarding Oakmont.................we love it to death, but it can be very hard to access, especially during the work week. Allegheny River Boulevard backs up terrible coming or going during morning and evening rush hour, and the other major access point, the Hulton Bridge, backs up on to Freeport Road for well over a mile during evening rush hour. One of the most beautiful communities in our region becomes immediately unattractive because of this.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If you like good wines, be sure to stock up on your favorites (and scotch) before you move here
No idea about scotch, but access to good wine at reasonable prices is not a problem. You're somewhat bound by the PA wine stores selection, but it is pretty wide ranging, and there are many bargains to be had. Real bargains for quality wine, if that's your thing. There's very good wine store in Aspinwall that I'd recommend to anyone. Good reason to move there You can also get wine delivered from out of state. The rules/interpretations on this are not 100% clear, to me anyway, but I do it, getting wine delivered directly from west coast wineries to my home. That makes me happy.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Others can give better advice on neighborhoods although Squirrel hill is a favorite of mine. But based on your description of what you are looking for you are going to LOVE Pittsburgh.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We moved from Long Island last year to South Fayette schools ; esp for the schools. Like you, we did look at Sewickley, Aspinwall, ; looked at Quaker Valley, Fox Chapel and Hampton schools along with South Fayette. While we have a very small village area, the schools are fantastic, taxes are low and housing prices ; you can definately get something great for your price. I loved Aspinwall and almost bought a house there.

We packed up and came without jobs. I found a job within two weeks of looking for work. My dh decided to go back to school and do nursing. Our kids are in middle and high school and are very happy.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
Something else to be aware of regarding Oakmont.................we love it to death, but it can be very hard to access, especially during the work week. Allegheny River Boulevard backs up terrible coming or going during morning and evening rush hour, and the other major access point, the Hulton Bridge, backs up on to Freeport Road for well over a mile during evening rush hour. One of the most beautiful communities in our region becomes immediately unattractive because of this.
Just as an fyi, construction on the new Hulton Bridge just began - should be done by 2015. Also, if these folks are working from home, rush hour traffic isn't an issue. In non-rush hour traffic, you can be downtown in under 30 minutes from Oakmont, and in the East End in 15 minutes. Also, for traveling to NYC, Sewickley adds an extra hour to the trip than if they lived in the east in Oakmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh