Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,338 times

Advertisements

So I landed the job I really wanted in Pittsburgh, but can't find anywhere to live. I have a Labrador so apparently my choices are non-existent from what I've been reading? (sigh) Many of my new co-workers have dogs and rent. I think most are in 1 bedroom apts though. I'd go nuts with dog and husband and all our stuff in 600 square feet.

I have some long-shot leads in Banksville/Westwood and possibly Crafton, but don't know anything about that area. Safe? Decent? Houses are selling really cheap there so I wasn't too sure. I just need a place for 6 months to a year. I'm fine with run-down but want to avoid criminal.

Keeping expenses low is extremely important because I still have to pay my current mortgage until the house sells. (Anyone wanna buy a house in Erie?)

After reading posts and writing this one, I'm not feeling confident. I figured I'd reach out just to see if anyone has any new info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Those are safe areas.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
Crafton is extremely safe and a great place to live, rent or own. Westwood is safe, too. The apartment complexes in Westwood aren't fancy and are largely occupied by lower income families and older folks. I worry sometimes about a downward trajectory of those complexes but for now, they are safe.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
I would also suggest looking in Crafton Heights in the area directly adjacent to Crafton and Westwood (basically the area bounded by Clearview Ave. and Noblestown Rd.).

You might also want to check Carnegie. It is a safe town (apart from the area surrounding the "towers") and may offer more in the way of rentals.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
I have seen some good rentals in Carnegie on Craigs List recently. I browse CL a lot checking out the rentals because I will be looking for a one bedroom for myself some time next year. If you want to share a price limit and details about what you want, I can keep an eye out for things that might work for you.

Just came across this one this morning in Pittsburgh. This is a pretty nice deal and pets are okay.
Affordable Convenient House For Rent - Pets/Smoking OK!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Thank you so much for all that information! I have to make some more phone calls today so we'll see what happens!

Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Crafton and Ingram might be cool for you. Its not a dangerous area, and convenient to the busway if you want to public transit to work, as well as the Crafton Ingram SC for your shopping needs.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 AM

21 posts, read 33,704 times
As a landlord myself, a suggestion to help you get into a place with your dog:

One thing that you need to understand is that many animals - including your Labrador - can do much more damage than you can possibly pay for or provide a deposit for. It doesn't matter what *your* dog is like, because your potential landlord won't know your dog, and wouldn't want to take the chance anyway. I have spent many thousands of dollars cleaning up after "nice, trouble-free" pets. This is the concern that you need to overcome.

The only realistic way to do this is to find a renter's policy that will cover all pet damage to the unit (after the deductible), liability to anybody who is attacked, and that has the LANDLORD's name on the policy. Once you find that, you explain to any potential landlord that you will buy this policy and keep it in effect, and provide proof of coverage prior to taking possession of the unit. You should have this all worked out before viewing a unit. The landlord will likely make an exception for you, since you have so obviously acknowledged the problem, taken responsibility for it, and have a clear plan to not make it HIS problem.

I hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK. :-)

Michael

Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Offering a second security deposit inspires many landlords. It tells them you're confident enough in your dog that you don't fear losing money.

My dogs never damaged my house. One was a Labrador who lived here for 16 years. My kids, on the other hand, did quite a number on the carpeting by spilling drinks and such. One tried to do pull-ups on the bathroom towel bar. That's about the only damage they did in their 20 years of living in this house. Oh, there was the rock and window incident. I forgot about that one. The dogs? Not one bit of damage. They were perfectly trained and well behaved dogs.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:20 AM

Thank you, Michael, for a perspective "from the other side". I go into renting as I'm living in someone else's house, and I am going to take care of it like it was my own. Obviously not everyone feels that way. So there's always going to be bad dogs, but really, there is a person owning that dog who should be taking care of it and the property.

And Hopes, I'm with you. Any kids we had in (my own) house always did a tremendous amount of damage. Stained carpets, holes in the walls, plumbing issues, you name it. I guess after that anything that pets do seems somewhat tame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh