Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Although I like the idea, it won't ever happen. As for growth, I feel as though you know my opinion about it in the city. Its going to happen this census, and its not going to be a growth of 100,000 people. Its going to be small to modest growths (10,000-30,000) per decade. Manageable growth is smart growth. Even with these fake expanded borders, the growth couldn't be explosive since all that I included were all already built up.
10000-30000 every ten years could happen. It will depend on few things. The city public schools need to show tremendous improvement. There also has to be a dramatic increase in the amount of business startups in the city limits. If those things do not happen i do not see 10-30k as an attainable number every ten years.

Jobs will get people here and a better public school system keep them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
One major topic always argued about on this forum is about how small Pittsburgh's borders are, making the city have a tiny portion of the land. Although this will never happened, I expanded Pittsburgh's borders to make it comparable to our neighbor, Philadelphia (~135 square miles). I tried to only add denser, more city like neighborhoods.

If Pittsburgh Annexed:
South
Baldwin, Baldwin Township, Whitehall, Brentwood, Mt. Oliver, Mt. Lebanon, Castle Shannon, Dormont, Scott Township, Heidelburg, Homestead, West Homestead, Homestead, Whitaker, Munhall, Duquesne
West
Carnegie, Thornburg, Rossalyn Farms, Crafton, Ingram, Stowe Township, McKeesRocks, Bellevue
North
Reserve Township, Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall
East
Penn Hills, Wilkinsburg, Churchill, Wilkins Township, Edgewood, Swissvale, Forest Hills, Rankin, Braddock, Braddock Hills, North Braddock, East Pittsburgh, Turtle Creek, Wilmerding

It would approximately be the size of Philadelphia area wise, and not change demographically drastically, with the exception of income.

New Pittsburgh:
Population - 615,494
SQ MILE - 134.9 mi^2
Pop Density - 4562.6 people/mi^2
Average Family Income - $51,322
White Population - 430,805 (69.9%)
African American Population - 148,002 (24.1%)
Asian American Population - 21,255 (3.5%)
Hispanic Population - 11,681 (2.0%)
Other Population - 3,741 (0.5%)

Thoughts?
Well Done! This really should be the True Borders of the city. I've always said Pittsburgh functions more like a city with a population of ~600K-700K as opposed to ~300K. You bring anyone to the Burgh during the Business Day and no way do they come away with the impression this only a city of ~300K

Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Interesting premise. You missed two things though. Green Tree would remain an enclave within the city, as would Chalfant. In addition, Duquense wouldn't have a connection to the city unless you annexed West Mifflin to it, and you listed Homestead twice.

More comments incoming...

Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Interesting premise. You missed two things though. Green Tree would remain an enclave within the city, as would Chalfant. In addition, Duquense wouldn't have a connection to the city unless you annexed West Mifflin to it, and you listed Homestead twice.

More comments incoming...
I did include Green tree haha forgot to put it on my list. Also, I believe across the river Duquesne has a border with Braddock and north Braddock. I didn't include west mifflin because it has plenty of open space and sprawl type areas.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 14,749 times
This idea is like the relationship between the piranha and the goldfish; after it is done the piranha has a bigger belly and all that is left of the goldfish are fish guts floating in the water. All this does is provide more victims for Pittsburgh's bloated public employees unions and welfare deadbeats to feed off. Were I resident of one of these places you plan to conquer, I would fight your scheme with every breath of my body. And if it should happen, I'd vacate the place as soon as possible.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeAYinzer View Post
This idea is like the relationship between the piranha and the goldfish; after it is done the piranha has a bigger belly and all that is left of the goldfish are fish guts floating in the water. All this does is provide more victims for Pittsburgh's bloated public employees unions and welfare deadbeats to feed off. Were I resident of one of these places you plan to conquer, I would fight your scheme with every breath of my body. And if it should happen, I'd vacate the place as soon as possible.
You know, for all that people say the suburbs are more peaceful, the actual people in the suburbs seem really tense.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
I did include Green tree haha forgot to put it on my list. Also, I believe across the river Duquesne has a border with Braddock and north Braddock. I didn't include west mifflin because it has plenty of open space and sprawl type areas.
Is Green Tree and Scott one in the same?

Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You know, for all that people say the suburbs are more peaceful, the actual people in the suburbs seem really tense.
What I find interesting is the refusal to acknowledge that these suburbs only even exist as prosperous places because of the presence of a major city at their core.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
There are cases of cities with multiple, completely separate, public school districts. That is the only way this could happen for most of the municipalities listed.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
What I find interesting is the refusal to acknowledge that these suburbs only even exist as prosperous places because of the presence of a major city at their core.
Refusal by whom? Most urban/suburban residents agree that it takes both working in harmony to maintain a solid economy. My guess is you live in the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh