Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,101,702 times

Advertisements

Express bus plan in works for Oakland-Downtown link | TribLIVE

A bus station at Fifth and Atwood! That's why the former Children's land hasn't been developed yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,916,422 times
I thought UPMC was planning another Grandiose project for that plot of land. Lord knows it is in a prime location. They need to extend the stop further down towards Lothrop so that more buses can fit into the stop. Right now barely 2 Accordion Buses can fit into the stop and when a gang of Buses come at one time they create a solid line back past Bouquet street.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,934,763 times
Can't help thinking that Port Authority just did this because the transportation bill was just passed...

Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,101,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Can't help thinking that Port Authority just did this because the transportation bill was just passed...
Issued a press release?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:59 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,934,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Issued a press release?
Ha.

This is good news I suppose. I like that they're progressing ahead connecting Oakland and Downtown better. I still am a big advocate of rail vs BRT but guess this is better than nothing.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I thought UPMC was planning another Grandiose project for that plot of land. Lord knows it is in a prime location.
You're right. They certainly aren't using that whole plot for a bus station.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 PM

814 posts, read 1,153,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Right now barely 2 Accordion Buses can fit into the stop and when a gang of Buses come at one time they create a solid line back past Bouquet street.
Maybe this stop will be "express only" so that there's only ever one bus there at a time? Though it does seem kind of unfair to make everyone who wants to take a local bus wait at a shabby older stop on adjacent blocks.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,703,158 times
This is just the BRT plan that we've already talked about. Not much news here. It's moving forward and is a good idea!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:41 AM

994 posts, read 903,664 times
I am still not sure what the REAL benefit of the BRT is? An "express" bus line from Oakland to downtown does what, exactly? Decrease the travel time by 5 minutes? Are there even that many stops between Oakland and downtown to warrant an "express" bus? The buses are still going to be using the same roads and same traffic lights as cars, are they not? I am an advocate one dedicated rail line from downtown through the east end. Nore sure what the word billion scares people so much, but at $1 billion dollars for a rail extension, it would cost the citizens of Allegheny County $16 per year when the cost is spread out over a 50 years period, and a dedicated and functional rail line will benefit the region for more than 50 years and provide more than a billion dollars in return value over that period.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,863,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I am still not sure what the REAL benefit of the BRT is? An "express" bus line from Oakland to downtown does what, exactly? Decrease the travel time by 5 minutes? Are there even that many stops between Oakland and downtown to warrant an "express" bus? The buses are still going to be using the same roads and same traffic lights as cars, are they not? I am an advocate one dedicated rail line from downtown through the east end. Nore sure what the word billion scares people so much, but at $1 billion dollars for a rail extension, it would cost the citizens of Allegheny County $16 per year when the cost is spread out over a 50 years period, and a dedicated and functional rail line will benefit the region for more than 50 years and provide more than a billion dollars in return value over that period.
Quote:
Trips to Morewood Avenue, for example, would take 14:07 from Downtown, compared to an average time of 23:10 now.
Read more: Express bus plan in works for Oakland-Downtown link | TribLIVE
I'm having trouble understanding what costs $200 million dollars. a dedicated lane and a fancy station cost that much?

the first option is better for transit imo, have them both on the same street
Quote:
The first would leave the current bus lane on Fifth Avenue in place and add another on the north lane of Fifth, leaving three lanes for cars through Oakland. A second option would establish an outbound bus lane on Forbes Avenue with an inbound bus lane on Fifth Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh