Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

I am pretty excited to possibly ski this weekend. I rarely ski in November! What great weather we have been having.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 PM

706 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Aztec Camera - Walk Out To Winter (Album Version) - YouTube

Old 11-25-2013, 08:32 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times
Woo Hoo - November skiing in PA. Enjoy. And here's hoping for a long, cold, snowy winter. Dispel that global warming rubbish once and for all ...

Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM

288 posts, read 511,622 times
What's the easiest way to give skiing a try for someone who has never done it? Seems like a huge expense without knowing whether you'd emjoy it or not.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
What's the easiest way to give skiing a try for someone who has never done it? Seems like a huge expense without knowing whether you'd emjoy it or not.
Co-signed. I await the insight from the omniscient and omnipotent Dr. h_curtis, Esq., MBA, Ph.D., AIA

Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
What's the easiest way to give skiing a try for someone who has never done it?
The easiest way is to start before you're old enough that falling down hurts.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:36 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Just tell them to try it once. If you get an evening ticket its $40, and to rent maybe $15 if you get them at one of the shops on 31 instead of renting them. $55 is not that expensive and if you don't like it you won't have to try it again.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times
Most ski areas have deals for first timers - check the web site for 7 Springs/Hidden Valley. Things like $99 for 2 lessons/rental were common out west, and I've seen similar here.

Take lessons for sure. I didn't learn until grad school, and (touch wood) have done no more damage than a broken rib. Oh, and a broken thumb. Chipped elbow. Hairline ankle fracture. Nothing too serious

Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
(touch wood)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I will be sorely disappointed if I don't see a minimum of 5 inches

Is this sub-forum trying to tell me something as of late?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
I would go to Hidden Valley and if at all possible go on a weekday. Go during the day and not a night session. You could take a lesson or if you know someone that skis ask them to give a lesson. Check out YouTube and look for skiing lessons. You would be amazed at what you can pick up from there. Make sure the skis you rent are relatively short and they know it is your first time. They should be a bit short for your height to make it easier. Getting on lifts is easy, getting off can be a bit harder, but relax and just ski straight ahead off the lift. Others will get around you if you just go straight. You will come to a stop most likely, but that is fine. Take your time. A tow rope is another way of getting up the slopes. Obviously a bunny slope or very easy short run is what you are looking for. People WILL help you if you ask. If someone doesn't, which I doubt would happen, just ask someone else. Don't be surprised if you are skiing medium slopes by the end of the day. Yes, you can do pretty well on day one. The skies these days are really forgiving and if they are a bit short, you will have more fun because they are easy to control. Oh and be in a fun mood. You will probably fall a few times and that is fine. Laugh! It is fun, not a job. Keep it light and fun and assume you are going to fall on the snow. It won't hurt since you will slide a bit and whatever. Your attitude is important. If you are thinking you are going to be great right away or think of competition, that isn't a good way to start. Laughing and fun is key to the first day. You will then know after that day if you want to continue. SKiing isn't expensive if you get the gear. You can buy used super cheap. My current skies are probably worth $150 because they are getting older, but I love them and they are still great skies. Boots you will buy new. Poles can be used or new. A good pair of socks and the rest you might already own. Some people wear helmets, but I just wear a hat. Sorry, I have more, but that is some of the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh