Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
SCR calling older, less-educated, blue collar PGH natives "urban rednecks" behind the safety of a computer screen is acceptable.

A woman who makes fun of you within earshot (for what exactly? Driving an "ecologically unsound" car?) and who for all you know could be from some suburb IS AN ELITIST PIG.

Just so I'm understanding you correctly?
That's what I don't get. SCR says he desperately wants to live in the East End, but he hates the people (both transplants and lifers,) he complains that there aren't enough chain restaurants, he doesn't like the housing stock, he wants wide streets and ample, free parking, etc. Sort of like how the loudest homophobes are probably secretly gay, SCR, deep down, really wants to live in Cranberry.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-09-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's what I don't get. SCR says he desperately wants to live in the East End, but he hates the people (both transplants and lifers,) he complains that there aren't enough chain restaurants, he doesn't like the housing stock, he wants wide streets and ample, free parking, etc. Sort of like how the loudest homophobes are probably secretly gay, SCR, deep down, really wants to live in Cranberry.

Uh, Oh, Fleetie, I think I hear the Yac-Meister coming.

There is a very active gay community in Soulless Cranberry. And monkeys just flew out of my butt.

To make sure this post doesn't get deleted, I hope Braddock turns the corner. I grew up about 5 miles East of that place, it started going downhill in the 60's.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I suggest you try talking to a bank about starting a business in Braddock that's not manufacturing or processing. In my experience banks have no interest in lending to new business in the foodservice industry, even to someone who's developed and successfully sold a foodservice business.
I don't think there even is a bank branch of any kind in Braddock?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
No banks, no restaurants, no supermarkets, no laundromat, no dry cleaners, no jewelry stores, no clothing stores. There is a news stand, a small grocery, a pawn shop (I think). Contrast that with Braddock Ave in old photos that shows an avenue lined with so many stores that one didn't need to venture out of the town for most things. There was even a JC Penney until 1963 or 64 until it moved to Eastland Mall, plus the Famous (department store), Jaisson's (clothing), Isaly's, and three train stations.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,731,734 times
Folks, remember to focus on the topic, not on each other.
Yac.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
How is using a kickstarter to expand your line of restaurants "taking a risk"? It's not like he's quitting his day job to start this restaurant, and if it fails, well it's not like they'll be defaulting on a loan or anything either.

I'm not a fan of him using the kickstarter approach really. I feel like his track record is such that he could get private backing, either from independent investors who would take partial ownership or from a bank. A similar thing happened in the movie industry: Kevin Smith says no to Kickstarter

Personally the kickstarter route just seems strange to me...if I'm "investing" even $250 of the $250,000 it takes to start up a business then I want a 1/1000th share of ownership.
The main difference between Kevin Sousa and Kevin Smith is that by using Kickstarter, Sousa isn't taking away resources from anyone else who wants to open a restaurant in Braddock. Nobody else wants to. And I imagine if they did, and if they had a good plan, Fetterman would be helping them get funding, too.

I was kind of put off by the Kickstarter thing at first, too. It felt like he was begging for money from the public for a venture that had a low chance of success. But then I realized that the only way to do what he's planning for the community- like offering job training and a sliding scale menu- is to keep overhead ridiculously low. No debt, no rent, growing own vegetables, using stagieres for labor? Really smart. It's also an indicator of how many people will actually support the restaurant when it opens. If nobody wants it, he's not going to build it.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,040,077 times
There's no way people are just going to give him $250,000. Times are tough. I'm actually shocked he has managed to raise $67k so far.

For $250k you could buy the whole city.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM

268 posts, read 385,611 times
Maybe some folks can't get behind the project and the Kickstarter approach, but the project has raised over $104k so far though it still needs another $146k within 15 days to make it. The beauty of Kickstarter is that it lets the people decide, and if they don't raise enough then they don't raise enough. If it gets over the half way mark I've got to think they have an angel investor waiting in the wings to push it over the top and release the rest of the funds...we shall see.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If 25 of us chip in $400 we can have one hell of a party...
Out of all the pledge options, this is the best proposition. I'm in. Find 22 other people.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Out of all the pledge options, this is the best proposition. I'm in. Find 22 other people.

Make that 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh