Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:44 AM

733 posts, read 988,999 times

Advertisements

No hatred for anyone's food choices here.

I do have a tasting reserved for Superior Motors, though, and I have no problem waiting longer for it to open.

It will be a one of a kind place. It might not be everyone's style, but it will be something that you can only get in Braddock, nowhere else. That is special and a majorly cool thing for that neighborhood to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 10:33 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,579,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why all the hate for erieguy?

I'm a college-educated liberal 20-something who has a decent IQ and also happens to love Olive Garden's breadsticks. Does this make me part of the bottom barrel of America?
Likewise, I'm a college-educated conservative who has a decent IQ and also happens to like Olive Garden's bread sticks, soup & salad deal. I don't go there for the Eye-Talian food, just them there salad deals. Yinz guys are puttin' on airs n'at.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:34 PM

373 posts, read 379,000 times
Hey, snobs come in all shapes and sizes.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,950,152 times
I find it amusing that people try to stifle dissenting and/or "minority" opinions by trotting out the old "why can't you let others make their own decisions" line. This is merely a message board where the entire point is to share information and opinions about the aforementioned topics. Obviously no one is taking away your "right" to enjoy Olive Garden breadsticks just because they are criticizing its business model, process, and/or product. That just amounts to the AM Radio/FOX News--sponsored, tried-and-true tactic of calling any criticism of garden variety global capitalist crap "elitist". It's a pathetic tactic that makes you look defensive, insecure and unimaginative.

If you want to try to make an argument that manufacturing huge amounts of highly-processed "foodstuffs" in industrial facilities, freezing it, and then trucking the result across the country to be reheated in industrial microwaves is offering anything close to "quality"... then have at it. But I don't want to hear anything about condescension or "putting on airs". That's just a lazy approach to argument.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
^^^^This.

Whether one likes it or not, catering to the majority is where the $$$ is made.
If you're talking about raw dollars, yes. But if you're talking about profit margins, certainly not. The top 1% alone comprise 30% of America's consumer spending, last I checked.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:53 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,277,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you're talking about raw dollars, yes. But if you're talking about profit margins, certainly not. The top 1% alone comprise 30% of America's consumer spending, last I checked.
Of course I'm talking about raw $$$.

Rationalization is always entertaining. The minority here that have disdain for the chains that are talked about are a very small speck compared to the majority that choose to eat and spend their $$$ there.

The top 1% you're referring to aren't looking for the best deal or BYOB establishments, either.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I find it amusing that people try to stifle dissenting and/or "minority" opinions by trotting out the old "why can't you let others make their own decisions" line. This is merely a message board where the entire point is to share information and opinions about the aforementioned topics. Obviously no one is taking away your "right" to enjoy Olive Garden breadsticks just because they are criticizing its business model, process, and/or product. That just amounts to the AM Radio/FOX News--sponsored, tried-and-true tactic of calling any criticism of garden variety global capitalist crap "elitist". It's a pathetic tactic that makes you look defensive, insecure and unimaginative.

If you want to try to make an argument that manufacturing huge amounts of highly-processed "foodstuffs" in industrial facilities, freezing it, and then trucking the result across the country to be reheated in industrial microwaves is offering anything close to "quality"... then have at it. But I don't want to hear anything about condescension or "putting on airs". That's just a lazy approach to argument.
I'd be willing to bet everyone including yourself has frozen foods and a microwave in your/their home/s. I'd also bet most every restaurant in the city and burbs has microwaved food in some form. It really just comes down to how much of it there is and how much and where one chooses to eat it. Being so concerned about where one eats, however, is certainly the definition of defensive and insecure. A non-defensive and secure person couldn't care less where people choose to eat and spend their $$$.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:01 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,589,001 times
My original point stands. There is no point in engaging in discussion on Superior Motors, or Sousa, with ILS or anyone else with this tired Olive Garden pretentious "real Pittsburgh" affectation. They are not interested in a productive conversation.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:06 PM

Real tough to discuss a place that isn't even open and probably won't survive. If/when it does open I would expect the food to be excellent...but will there be enough people willing to go and pay for it. Those that choose to eat now will at least be able to actually eat at OG.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-16-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 02:32 PM

814 posts, read 1,152,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
My brother is younger than me, and earns 200k a year, loves the Olive Garden, eats there all the time.
But would your brother, even if he lived in Swissvale or something, drive to downtown Braddock just to eat at an Olive Garden? That's all I'm saying, I think for something to be a viable business in Braddock right now, it'd need to fill a narrow enough niche that people would be willing to go out of their way to such an "undesirable" area to patronize it. Of course, this isn't to say that Superior Motors is nailed-on to be successful, just that I just don't feel Olive Garden or any other generic chain would have that kind of pull if one were to open in the same location as Superior Motors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh