Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 81,106 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are possibly relocating to the Pittsburgh area this summer (2014) from Denver, Colorado, due to a new job for my husband. We are quite enthusiastic about the prospect, having researched the area and having my ancestors settle in the Pennsylvania area when they came to the U.S. in the 1800s. (Though they settled in York).

We would like to identify the schools our children would be attending before we seek housing, as their schools would be our top priority.

I wonder if anyone can help me identify some Catholic Junior High (Middle) Schools and High schools. Both of my children will be in transition into these levels of schools this year.

My son will be entering Junior High (middle) school and my daughter will be entering high school. My son could probably do ok in an all-boy Junior High (middle) school, while my daughter would NOT do well in an all-girl high school. My daughter also has an IEP so she would need a school which would be willing to allow accommodations she needs. (I know this could be tricky in Catholic Schools--I am a Catholic School staff member and I know they don't have the same resources as public).

I am trying to identify schools that are close together and what neighborhoods they are in, so I am not driving one child to one school on one side of town and the other on the other side of town which I am doing in Denver, Colorado where we are now.

We would consider a public high school for my daughter, but that is only if we don't find a Catholic high school....

We are not interested in "progressive" Catholic schools.

My husband would be downtown on Liberty Ave right next to the train station, so we are willing to commute if there are schools outside of Pittsburgh where we could live near a train station.

Have heard about the Cranberry area and that is looking interesting.

But wonder if we should also consider the Greensburg Diocese as well? Or is that too far out of Pittsburgh? (I am trying to get my bearings by only researching online, not yet having had the opportunity to visit)

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Greensburg is a long trek from Pittsburgh as far as a commute.

Pittsburgh has several prominent Catholic prep schools- all boys Central Catholic and all girls Oakland Catholic in the city. North Catholic in Troy Hill, about to move to Cranberry, Vincentian Academy in the North Hills. They are all conservative as far as requiring dress codes/uniforms for their students, as far as "progressive" ideology or spirituality, you'll have to make that judgment for yourself.

The one thing you definitely do want to consider is that Pennsylvania School Districts do provide transportation for Catholic school students- IF they provide buses for their public school students. Mount Lebanon is one district that doesn't have transportation, there are others.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:38 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
You may want to look at the public schools here. We relocated almost 2 years ago from Long Island(NY) where our boys went to Catholic school. Here they are both in public school. One son has an IEP and is doing very well, the support is wonderful and he has great teachers. He is in 9th grade. My other son is in 8th and completely thriving ; he is a high honors student.

I commute daily to the city and the travel time is 45 mins.

Catholic high schools here are about 9k a year.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
I'd suggest the East End of the city proper to you. Oakland (our city's "eds" and "meds" hub) is home to both Oakland Catholic and Central Catholic, which would be perfect for your children, as both schools are literally within walking distance of each other. If you were to locate in a neighborhood like Shadyside, for example, you would be able to have a five-minute drive each way to each of their schools, and your husband could take rapid bus transit to work Downtown via the East Busway in 10-15 minutes. Shadyside has three small business districts, all of which have an assortment of specialty stores, grocery stores, restaurants, boutiques, medical/professional offices, etc. The city's Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. are located very near to Shadyside. The city's East End is very white-collar and affluent and is considered to be just as desirable as most suburbs (sans the potentially questionable public school quality). Squirrel Hill tends to be more of the "go-to" suggestion for new professional families with children, namely because it feeds into Taylor Allderdice High School (arguably the best public high school in the city), and I personally notice more families in Squirrel Hill and more DINKs (dual income/no kids) and 30- and 40-something singles in Shadyside, which also has a large LGBT community. Squirrel Hill is roughly 45% Jewish, if I'm not mistaken, and it doesn't seem to have a very large base of Roman Catholics if that's important to you.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
North Catholic moving to Cranberry is a big deal. Definitely look into that. I suspect enrollment is going to be huge. There might end up being a waiting list.

Aquinas Academy in Gibsonia is an excellent K through 12 school.

Vincentian Academy is a college prep International Baccalaureate high school.

Both of the above are in the North Hills---the direction in the suburbs Cranberry is located. I have no idea why you would think you should live in the Greensburg Diocese. That would be a crazy commute for your husband, and there's a greater selection of quality Catholic high schools are located in the Pittsburgh Diocese.

You don't have to worry about the schools being super close together. Pennsylvania state law requires public school districts to provide bus transportation to private schools located within 10 miles from the public school district's border.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:18 PM

I'm not aware of specific middle schools. Most of our Catholic schools are K-8 and high school.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Seton-LaSalle (8th-12th grade, and I believe offers IEP) is located in Mt. Lebanon, so you could easily consider Mt. Lebanon, Brookline, or Dormont. All are safe areas and public transportation to downtown from any of those areas is very easy.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,061 times
Both the St. Phillip School (K-8) and Bishop Canevin High School are well regarded catholic schools located in Crafton, less than a mile apart.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:58 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,894,638 times
Please do not judge Pittsburgh and the residents by what you find in Cranberry. The area has so much more to offer.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Please do not judge Pittsburgh and the residents by what you find in Cranberry. The area has so much more to offer.
You have to be honest with the OP and tell her your opinion is based on your not liking affluent suburban sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh