Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenk1 View Post
From a few community organizers, the word has been that the Jubilee Kitchen is being looked at in a sense of "extinction".. they want to try to revitalize the area to the point where they would even convert that part to be a restaurant that would service the residence.

Would the solution come from a private held land bank that focused on mass rehab and sale?( Something similar to what happened to many DC neighborhoods during the early 200's? )
i was waiting for when that (Jubilee Kitchen) would come into the equation? im sure it doesnt fit into the long term visions some might have of the area. i volunteered there years ago. im sad that it would have to be pushed out - i think your comment, Ebenk, is the equivalent of "In the beginning" of what is yet to come.

DC is unreal - i remember when U Street was a dump in the 90s. its hard to believe its growth hadnt topped out. they keep comin' - because its the better way to live rather than be a slave to your car. i wonder whats been happening in the Bronx and Brooklyn as far as re-urbanization. a few yrs back, brooklyn saw suc an influx of people and money....oops, off - topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i was waiting for when that (Jubilee Kitchen) would come into the equation? im sure it doesnt fit into the long term visions some might have of the area. i volunteered there years ago. im sad that it would have to be pushed out - i think your comment, Ebenk, is the equivalent of "In the beginning" of what is yet to come.

There are other social service agencies at the Light of Life in the Central North Side and several out in central East Liberty, doesn't seem to be hampering the efforts to bring back those areas. And of course, there is a big Salvation Army rehab facility and other such efforts on the South Side.

I can't see Jubilee's presence on Wyandotte St. as an insurmountable barrier to Uptown coming back.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,719 times
I do live in Uptown, and when I moved here I loved it (still do) but really thought a change was coming. In the few years I've been here it's actually getting worse than better. The remodeled apartments sit vacant more often than not, crime has been increasing with neighbors and myself having issues weekly between vehicle break-ins and even some minor incidents of violence recently. Every time the possibility of a new business or anything gets mentioned we seem to end up getting screwed. I still think there is potential obviously, but it won't be anytime soon.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 AM

9 posts, read 15,461 times
If Duquesne Univeristy has any say in it, they will own most of uptown in the next 5-10 years. They already own a good portion of fifth avenue from the old Robert Morris building, all the way up to Stevenson Street. And don't forget about their Pharmacy up on center ave. They recently purchased the old Kadet Photo building across from consol as well, and I believe they have a new dorm in the works for Forbes Avenue. Pretty soon Duquesne will be to Uptown what Pitt is to Oakland.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 8,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urgher View Post
I do live in Uptown, and when I moved here I loved it (still do) but really thought a change was coming. In the few years I've been here it's actually getting worse than better. The remodeled apartments sit vacant more often than not, crime has been increasing with neighbors and myself having issues weekly between vehicle break-ins and even some minor incidents of violence recently. Every time the possibility of a new business or anything gets mentioned we seem to end up getting screwed. I still think there is potential obviously, but it won't be anytime soon.
How bad is the crime? I recently bought a place and plan on moving in, so was curious what I should know?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandasolecism View Post
If Duquesne Univeristy has any say in it, they will own most of uptown in the next 5-10 years. They already own a good portion of fifth avenue from the old Robert Morris building, all the way up to Stevenson Street. And don't forget about their Pharmacy up on center ave. They recently purchased the old Kadet Photo building across from consol as well, and I believe they have a new dorm in the works for Forbes Avenue. Pretty soon Duquesne will be to Uptown what Pitt is to Oakland.
ah, so thats why there is a feeling of *blah* there. that uninspiring, if not ugly campus has festered to the downtown like a cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh