Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 PM

146 posts, read 216,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
yes I do. traction/acceleration isn't the issue, its turning when the oems suck in ice/snow. so I know my car well enough to be slow when turning. although ive been practicing sliding to conserve gas
Seriously, BarqCider--listen to Hopes, North Beach Person, and everyone else. Get a shovel, get some kitty litter, and be prepared to dig out if needed. If you drive in enough bad weather, you'll see that ditches and medians are lined with crossover/SUVs whose drivers thought their vehicles could "handle it."

Be careful of how much confidence you put in those OEM tires. This video shows how a front-drive SUV with winter tires compares with a 4-wheel-drive version of the same vehicle on summer tires. Not saying that you need winter tires, just realize that tires make the biggest difference.

http://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Otoh...my mom moved back to Pittsburgh 2 years ago after we all assured her the winters aren't nearly as bad as they used to be.
Tell her it's temporary. We seem to get one or two bad winters every decade.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
My old 95 Buick Roadmaster was ideal for extreme conditions that might exist with this latest storm.

Weighing over 4000 pounds, the 5.7 Liter V-8 delivered 260 horsepower and 330 lbs of torque.

Never got stuck in the snow in that vehicle.
Yeah, I had a 93 Roadmaster. Great car in the snow. Actually, the only complaint I had was the plastic body trim that would constantly fall apart.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't worry. According to h_curtis we haven't even started to experience a "real" winter yet this season and all need to toughen up.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Don't worry. According to h_curtis we haven't even started to experience a "real" winter yet this season and all need to toughen up.
That's because he lives in THE BOROUGH where they over maintain the roads. He doesn't know what real life is.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
I've been stuck plenty of times in 4 wheel drive trucks with good tires, and not one time was in a ditch. You have to keep in mind that until it's plowed all the way to the curb, or the edge of the parking lot, every time a plow makes a pass, the area next to it has twice as much snow as there was to begin with...

Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
She's 86. She's been going on the presumption that everything may be her last [insert whatever is currently happening] ever, every year that goes by. She does have goals tho...she had to live to see the end of Lost. Now she has to live long enough to read the final books in the Gabaldon Outlander series. Now she has to watch the tv series of the books starting this summer...!
But the winters are tough. Her various medications have precluded her arthritis pain meds, so she's in a lot of pain now and the constant weather fronts going thru are hard on her. She feels them all. The cold is everywhere this year tho, she'd have had the same issues in Charlotte or Dallas.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 AM

419 posts, read 551,945 times
Quote:
Stop lying to the people. Winters here are horrible every single year. If it isn't nasty cold with tons of snow and ice, it is days upon days with no sunlight at all. Summers can be terrible as well. It rained almost EVERY day last summer. Horribly depressing.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
She's 86. She's been going on the presumption that everything may be her last [insert whatever is currently happening] ever, every year that goes by. She does have goals tho...she had to live to see the end of Lost. Now she has to live long enough to read the final books in the Gabaldon Outlander series. Now she has to watch the tv series of the books starting this summer...!
But the winters are tough. Her various medications have precluded her arthritis pain meds, so she's in a lot of pain now and the constant weather fronts going thru are hard on her. She feels them all. The cold is everywhere this year tho, she'd have had the same issues in Charlotte or Dallas.
I'm sorry the cold is difficult for her arthritis, but I have to say the bolded above is awesome!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Interestingly, when you look into the stats for centenarians in California and Florida, you discover that many are people who lived most of their lives in places with harsh winter climates, and then moved to CA and FL in their senior years.
Harsh climates make people more resilient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh