Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times

Advertisements

I was wondering where I should look in the area that would sell old cameras and film? I know of the Camera Exchange on the North Side, but I don't know anything about it really. How about local pawn shops?

I was interested in maybe picking up photography as a hobby but also with retro style pictures. I have a regular point and shoot digital camera that's OK, but doesn't do justice with nicer pix. I do use a Pixl-r-omatic program on my computer which is cool, but I guess I wanted to try it out using the real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
I have a bunch of old Pentax SLRs, make an offer.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,371 times
Check Craigslist too. I just sold an older 35mm camera on there last week and I know there were others for sale as well.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
I'm not really sure what you want to do, but I can't see an old slr camera being what you want, unless you collect vintage cameras. If you want to get into photography as a hobby, you do not want a film camera (way too expensive).

What do you mean by "retro style pictures"? Let us know in more detail, what it is you want to do.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
I'm a shooter, and I have dozens of old cameras, including a Speed Graphic. Digital has blown film away, and my film cameras are now collecting dust.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 AM

472 posts, read 626,560 times
There is a camera repair shop in market square that sells old cameras (this was as of last year.)

Also, agree with above posters, get yourself a Digital SLR

But if you really do want to get into 35MM check craigslist or B&H (they might sell used cameras) Take an intro to B&W Photography at Filmmakers they have great facilities you can buy a membership and use their equipment freely. Getting your film done is pricey and time consuming if you don't do it yourself all 35 and 120 non C-41 processed film needs to be shipped to a remote developer.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 AM

472 posts, read 626,560 times
I still use film occasionally I always take a 35MM camera or my medium format camera on trips along with my digital to shoot a roll or two if you have the slightest interest and don't know how to chemically process film I do reccomend learning now access to facilities will only decrease and it's extrememly satisfying making prints yourself, just like I enjoy screenprinting sometimes vs. just laser printing images.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
What do you mean by "retro style pictures"? Let us know in more detail, what it is you want to do.
Hipstamatic pictures. The ones that look like they were taken in the 70s.

Sort of like these...

hipstamatic pictures - Google Search

Or anything else with cool effects.

Like with these types

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_camera

I don't think I'm going to get that look with a regular digital SLR, so I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
For those you just need an iPhone and app.

Seriously though, I think you'd have to get *really* into it to want to deal with actual film. It's kind of hard to dabble without still spending a fortune, although I guess you could try to locate an old camera that actually operates the way that the effects sometimes mimic. You can't always get the film and/or processing you need anymore anyway. You could learn your own b&w processing easily enough, probably, and use a 35mm. (I did b&w 35mm processing and printing in high school, never color.)

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
For those you just need an iPhone and app.
That's also what I have been told, but I have friends on Facebook who also use the old cameras and play around with those and get some really cool pictures. One of them has what is called a "Diana" camera (I think there is a pic on the Wiki link I posted.) I was wondering if there was anyplace in the area that would have something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Seriously though, I think you'd have to get *really* into it to want to deal with actual film. It's kind of hard to dabble without still spending a fortune, although I guess you could try to locate an old camera that actually operates the way that the effects sometimes mimic. You can't always get the film and/or processing you need anymore anyway. You could learn your own b&w processing easily enough, probably, and use a 35mm. (I did b&w 35mm processing and printing in high school, never color.)
I may consider taking some continuing education classes at CCAC to see if I would want to go that route
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh