Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times

Advertisements

The Invention of Jaywalking

Quote:
One key turning point, according to Norton, came in 1923 in Cincinnati. Citizens’ anger over pedestrian deaths gave rise to a referendum drive. It gathered some 7,000 signatures in support of a rule that would have required all vehicles in the city to be fitted with speed governors limiting them to 25 miles per hour.

Local auto clubs and dealers recognized that cars would be a lot harder to sell if there was a cap on their speed. So they went into overdrive in their campaign against the initiative. They sent letters to every individual with a car in the city, saying that the rule would condemn the U.S. to the fate of China, which they painted as the world’s most backward nation. They even hired pretty women to invite men to head to the polls and vote against the rule. And the measure failed.

They also got Detroit involved. The automakers banded together to help fight the Cincinnati rule, according to Norton. “And they remained organized after that,” he says.

The industry lobbied to change the law, promoting the adoption of traffic statutes to supplant common law. The statutes were designed to restrict pedestrian use of the street and give primacy to cars. The idea of "jaywalking” – a concept that had not really existed prior to 1920 – was enshrined in law.
Personally I think that the streets should belong to everyone and I jaywalk with pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
"tens of thousands of people a year"? Me thinks there's more exaggerating going on.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Speaking of speed governors, why are cars manufactured with speedometers that go up to 155 or more?

Early in the 1900s, in Boston required that an automobile be preceded by a man waving around a warning flag by ten feet or so.

Last edited by LIRefugee; 03-22-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 AM

458 posts, read 656,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Speaking of seed governors, why are cars manufactured with speedometers that go up to 155 or more?

Early in the 1900s, in Boston required that an automobile be preceded by a man waving around a warning flag by ten feet or so.
I can't believe where this discussion has gone.......................if someone is in a crosswalk, no matter how a neighborhood is designed...........you stop. Period.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

If I'm turning from Oakland Avenue onto Forbes Avenue, and if these college kids keep marching into my path while their light has been blinking with the red hand for a few seconds, I'll turn and force them to walk around me or yield to me.
This is "College student 101" behavior. I don't usually say this, but. . . it happens in every college town I've ever driven in. I was a visiting nurse in Champaign, IL. What a challenge! I remember a group of ROTC students walking practically in front of my moving car one time. I've lived in Boulder County CO for 30 odd years (yeah, real odd!) and almost every time I drive there I encounter some version of same. I don't remember it so much when I was a Pitt student, but I was a part of the pedestrians then.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
"tens of thousands of people a year"? Me thinks there's more exaggerating going on.
In 2012, 34,080 people died in accidents involving automobiles. You want to argue that 14,081 of them weren't caused by a driver breaking the law, I'll listen. But I think you've got a tough road to travel because I usually hear that 1/3 to 1/2 involve a drunk driver. That's not much slack left to play with.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
I'm looking forward to the era of self-driving cars that won't even allow the driver to break traffic laws.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is "College student 101" behavior. I don't usually say this, but. . . it happens in every college town I've ever driven in. I was a visiting nurse in Champaign, IL. What a challenge! I remember a group of ROTC students walking practically in front of my moving car one time. I've lived in Boulder County CO for 30 odd years (yeah, real odd!) and almost every time I drive there I encounter some version of same. I don't remember it so much when I was a Pitt student, but I was a part of the pedestrians then.
I feel there is a MUCH better relationship between cars/pedestrians/cyclists in Boulder. The attitude is WAY better. I do agree college students do dumb things when walking around. There are tons of them and they seem to think everyone will yield to them. I don't have a huge problem with it. It is a campus and part of the atmosphere, so people seem to make due.

I tend to give pedestrians a break for the most part, unless I am trying to take a left in front of Target to get on Penn and I have that green arrow that lasts for like one second. That really grinds my gears, but I also know I will never educate those idiots that cross when they shouldn't. I try not to drive much. Pittsburgh isn't as friendly as years ago. People just seem more angry when they drive compared to the 80's and 90's. I think they forgot driving is a privilege and people are lucky to even be able to do so. Spoiled and super selfish people fill the roadways and everyone has a frown on their face. Self importance is the flavor of this generation and there is no stopping it.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:58 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
In 2012, 34,080 people died in accidents involving automobiles. You want to argue that 14,081 of them weren't caused by a driver breaking the law, I'll listen. But I think you've got a tough road to travel because I usually hear that 1/3 to 1/2 involve a drunk driver. That's not much slack left to play with.
"tens of thousands" were pedestrians, caused by a driver breaking the rules?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I feel there is a MUCH better relationship between cars/pedestrians/cyclists in Boulder. The attitude is WAY better. I do agree college students do dumb things when walking around. There are tons of them and they seem to think everyone will yield to them. I don't have a huge problem with it. It is a campus and part of the atmosphere, so people seem to make due.

I tend to give pedestrians a break for the most part, unless I am trying to take a left in front of Target to get on Penn and I have that green arrow that lasts for like one second. That really grinds my gears, but I also know I will never educate those idiots that cross when they shouldn't. I try not to drive much. Pittsburgh isn't as friendly as years ago. People just seem more angry when they drive compared to the 80's and 90's. I think they forgot driving is a privilege and people are lucky to even be able to do so. Spoiled and super selfish people fill the roadways and everyone has a frown on their face. Self importance is the flavor of this generation and there is no stopping it.
LOL! 30 years' experience tells me it's not so. The attitude, if anything, is worse. At least those CMU engineers know the basic physics involved in getting hit by a car, and those Pitt health care people have an idea of what one looks like after getting hit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh