Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,612,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
"tens of thousands" were pedestrians, caused by a driver breaking the rules?
I don't see why other drivers and passengers don't count in making the point that cars are very dangerous to those around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,260,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't see why other drivers and passengers don't count in making the point that cars are very dangerous to those around them.
You said tens of thousands were pedestrians. Other drivers and passengers are not pedestrians. Exaggerating doesnt reinforce the complaint.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
You said tens of thousands were pedestrians. Other drivers and passengers are not pedestrians.

I said, "Because pedestrians who fail to follow the rules are highly unlikely to hurt anyone other than themselves but car drivers who don't follow the rules kill tens of thousands of people a year."

It's perfectly clear and doesn't mention pedestrians at all in the part about deaths caused by cars.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! 30 years' experience tells me it's not so. The attitude, if anything, is worse. At least those CMU engineers know the basic physics involved in getting hit by a car, and those Pitt health care people have an idea of what one looks like after getting hit!
I think you misunderstood. The attitude from auto drivers towards pedestrians and cyclists is WAY BETTER. That I know from just being there and not having a car. You are not in Boulder and drive everywhere and would have a very different view than someone who is exposed to the real dangers and unprotected. As far as students go, I don't know what is worse. Pitt is much worse than CMU, but Pitt students need to cross the road way more than CMU students. CMU is a better campus and much smaller. Pitt is all over Oakland and the students are forced to walk across some crazy streets all the time. I can't comment on U of CO Boulder and their behavior.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I said, "Because pedestrians who fail to follow the rules are highly unlikely to hurt anyone other than themselves but car drivers who don't follow the rules kill tens of thousands of people a year."

It's perfectly clear and doesn't mention pedestrians at all.
You said tens of thousands of pedestrians were killed each year. I said that was an exaggeration. It obviously is or you wouldn't be rationalizing it.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,809,395 times
Does anyone disagree with the sentiment that all motorized vehicles should yield to pedestrians even if the pedestrian is not in a crosswalk?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
You said tens of thousands of pedestrians were killed each year. I said that was an exaggeration. It obviously is or you wouldn't be rationalizing it.
Nobody else misread me.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think you misunderstood. The attitude from auto drivers towards pedestrians and cyclists is WAY BETTER. That I know from just being there and not having a car. You are not in Boulder and drive everywhere and would have a very different view than someone who is exposed to the real dangers and unprotected. As far as students go, I don't know what is worse. Pitt is much worse than CMU, but Pitt students need to cross the road way more than CMU students. CMU is a better campus and much smaller. Pitt is all over Oakland and the students are forced to walk across some crazy streets all the time. I can't comment on U of CO Boulder and their behavior.
You've used that line before. I live 5 miles from Boulder; I have for over 30 years. I've worked in Boulder. My husband works there now, and has for >10 years. When we first moved here, we had to go to Boulder for practically everything other than groceries and a few hardware supplies. I still go there at least once a week, to church if nothing else. Also, once one gets to Boulder, one has to park the car and walk around, especially if going to the Pearl St. Mall. Plus, if I am a driver, one would presume I know something about driver's attitudes, no?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Does anyone disagree with the sentiment that all motorized vehicles should yield to pedestrians even if the pedestrian is not in a crosswalk?
Unless you are a murderer, I suspect the answer would be you yield to pedestrians. You are driving a weapon. Sadly, people kill others all the time in vehicles and they get a little slap on the wrist. Heck that guy that ran over the cyclist on Harts Run Road a while back didn't even have to do some community service. He just went out for a steak dinner and enjoyed the day. Nothing you can do about a car centric society.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Nobody else misread me.
Do you own an automobile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh