Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think this is a weak argument.

There is reason we don't put the decision of justice in the hands of the victim. A fair justice system takes into account all sides - the victim, the public and the perpetrator.

If one of my children were stabbed I would be angry, possibly vengeful. I hope I would calm down enough at some point to be objective about the situation though.

In a more cosmic sense I do think when we hurt others we must sacrifice in order to repent and pay our debt to society. More than that, as a society, our goal should be to rehabilitate and phase offenders back into our communities.
I think I've been making a pretty reasonable assessment of the situation. Curt is just a weird type of reactionary who says "kill it with fire" when the defendant is black and "oh won't someone please think of the children" when the defendant is white. Actually, it isn't weird. It's just plain racist.

Obviously there's a reason we don't put justice in the hands of the victim. Curt's idiosyncratically cavalier attitude just gets tiresome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think this is a weak argument.

There is reason we don't put the decision of justice in the hands of the victim. A fair justice system takes into account all sides - the victim, the public and the perpetrator.

If one of my children were stabbed I would be angry, possibly vengeful. I hope I would calm down enough at some point to be objective about the situation though.

In a more cosmic sense I do think when we hurt others we must sacrifice in order to repent and pay our debt to society. More than that, as a society, our goal should be to rehabilitate and phase offenders back into our communities.
Well stated. HeavenWood likes to present things like "outpatient" to try and strengthen his little arguments. I never mentioned outpatient, but that is his little trick to put words in my mouth, but I digress. Arguing with him gets boring fast.

I also hope I would be able to be calm after a few days and look at both sides and really all sides to understand the actual problem and situation. The real question is why did the kid snap. We probably will know a little more in a few weeks, but it will be hard to weed through all the media hype, so they get better ratings and get more money for advertising. Therefore, you will really have to listen to the people they talk to and tune the idiot interviewers and headline jerks out. Our news is horrible and really I feel they are one of the reasons there are these problems in the first place. Shock value sells though and it is all about money.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'll say this for you Mr. Curtis - you're a real free-thinker.

I can never predict which side of an issue you will come down on based upon your prior stated beliefs.
Thanks. I don't like to pigeonhole things like a HeavenWood. It is best to look at things from both sides. As you can tell, many people on here just want to fry this kid without looking into anything at all. Obviously, no one can condone the kid's actions. Goes without saying, but I guess I will need to spell every little detail out due to folks like HeavenWood reading and trying hard to understand. He is more interested in chasing me around the forum, than discussing the issues. It is what he enjoys to pass time I guess.

Well off to get some work done. I am sure there will be countless posts by HeavenWood. He lives for the forum. Go HeavenWood, go!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Well stated. HeavenWood likes to present things like "outpatient" to try and strengthen his little arguments. I never mentioned outpatient, but that is his little trick to put words in my mouth, but I digress. Arguing with him gets boring fast.

I also hope I would be able to be calm after a few days and look at both sides and really all sides to understand the actual problem and situation. The real question is why did the kid snap. We probably will know a little more in a few weeks, but it will be hard to weed through all the media hype, so they get better ratings and get more money for advertising. Therefore, you will really have to listen to the people they talk to and tune the idiot interviewers and headline jerks out. Our news is horrible and really I feel they are one of the reasons there are these problems in the first place. Shock value sells though and it is all about money.
Tell me about my little "tricks." They don't include stealth parking maneuvers if that's what you're alluding to.

I said he may very well be declared unfit to stand trial, which I predict will be the proper course of action. But he may be a competent defendant, in which case it will have to be decided whether he should be tried as a child or adult--not an easy decision. You seemed to imply he shouldn't be in a confined setting. You were less than clear.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's just plain racist.

Obviously there's a reason we don't put justice in the hands of the victim. Curt's idiosyncratically cavalier attitude just gets tiresome.
Here is a thought. Do us both a favor and put me on ignore. Calling me racist is a joke, but you love name calling when you run out of arguments. You clearly didn't read the article in the link I posted which clearly shows how minorities in the prison system could be compared to Nazi Germany. Does that sound racist to you. Also, quit changing the topic. It is getting more than old with you and your putting words in other's mouths. Stay on topic!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I don't like to pigeonhole things like a HeavenWood. It is best to look at things from both sides. As you can tell, many people on here just want to fry this kid without looking into anything at all. Obviously, no one can condone the kid's actions. Goes without saying, but I guess I will need to spell every little detail out due to folks like HeavenWood reading and trying hard to understand. He is more interested in chasing me around the forum, than discussing the issues. It is what he enjoys to pass time I guess.

Well off to get some work done. I am sure there will be countless posts by HeavenWood. He lives for the forum. Go HeavenWood, go!
Oh please, I'm doing the exact opposite of pigeon-holing.

And you have double my post count. Something about pots and kettles?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:33 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
You seemed to imply he shouldn't be in a confined setting. You were less than clear.
I never mentioned anything about confinement. I feel confinement would need years involved, but hopefully years of help, not rotting in some cell to be put into the labor force for massive profits! We can do better.

Anyway, post your final word. Lord knows you live for that.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Here is a thought. Do us both a favor and put me on ignore. Calling me racist is a joke, but you love name calling when you run out of arguments. You clearly didn't read the article in the link I posted which clearly shows how minorities in the prison system could be compared to Nazi Germany. Does that sound racist to you. Also, quit changing the topic. It is getting more than old with you and your putting words in other's mouths. Stay on topic!
I tell it like it is friend. I've made my position quite clear, and it's very much based on the idea that WE NEED MORE INFORMATION. The one clear conclusion is that this kid needs a confined setting, whatever the appropriate venue may be.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I never mentioned anything about confinement. I feel confinement would need years involved, but hopefully years of help, not rotting in some cell to be put into the labor force for massive profits! We can do better.

Anyway, post your final word. Lord knows you live for that.
I agree he needs help and I already said the state of our prison system is abhorrent.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Of course they say he wasn't. Maybe no one knows but him. If the kid is somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, who knows how he was handling it.

There is no defending at what the kid did, and he should be fully punished. But at the same time I doubt he flew off the handle like that for no reason, do you?

If it turns out he was bullied, those kids need to start being punished just as hard. I'm tired of hearing stories like this.
I'm not saying it happened for no reason but to say its because he was bullied is nothing but guessing as no one has a clue at this point and nothing has been presented thus far that indicates he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh