Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times

Advertisements

the kid is probably the outcome of bullying, an empty household and this is what is the result of those two things.

Jail time won't fix him. he needs to be rehabbed and the students need to be re-educated about bullies and how it affects those who are bullied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Because, until I looked up the demographics, I presumed that the gang violence had finally boiled over down there. Shootings by night, stabbings in the schools by day, you know, that sort of thing.
There aren't gangs at Franklin Regional. You don't know the metro very well.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Violence in suburban schools for some reason has a different dynamic that urban schools. Almost all of the mass shootings since Columbine have been in more upscale ("good," "safe," "family-oriented," "high property values") suburban districts and very little (I can't think of one mass shooting) in an urban district. Don't know why this happens this way - maybe there's more of a simmering problem that is hidden until it blows up or something.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
What a tragedy! I hate to hear about things like this.

My sister just took a job teaching in Azerbaijan. Family members were concerned for her safety, and her response was that these days it's just as dangerous to teach in the US, since incidents like this can happen anywhere. What's the world coming to?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Violence in suburban schools for some reason has a different dynamic that urban schools. Almost all of the mass shootings since Columbine have been in more upscale ("good," "safe," "family-oriented," "high property values") suburban districts and very little (I can't think of one mass shooting) in an urban district. Don't know why this happens this way - maybe there's more of a simmering problem that is hidden until it blows up or something.
That is an astute observation, though perhaps part of that may be that mass suburban shootings/stabbings are more sensationalized by the media. At the same time, I can't think of anything in a urban area either, except for the shootings at that football game at Peabody, which wasn't so much a school shooting as it was a shooting at a school (i.e. it wasn't somebody walking into school during normal school hours and attacking people).

I worry this will further stigmatize those who have mental illnesses.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
the kid is probably the outcome of bullying, an empty household and this is what is the result of those two things.

Jail time won't fix him. he needs to be rehabbed and the students need to be re-educated about bullies and how it affects those who are bullied.
Why even bother with rehab? Remove from the gene pool. Re open the massive state mental hospitals and lock the crazies up again. Stop trying to medicate everyone.

This wasn't an issue back in the day when students were allowed to stick up for themselves w/o being expelled. Any type of fight now results in massive punishment. Its human nature for kids to be cruel and establish hierarchies, its always happened and always will. A few happy episodes of Glee wont fix that. I do think that TV and video games doesn't help matters either. We played Genesis in the cold months, but the rest of us ran home from the bus, grabbed our hockey gear and played street hockey almost every night. Even if not all of us liked each other, we still played together.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM

632 posts, read 853,732 times
As I said during the shooting incident at Brashear, something like this can happen at any high-school at any time.

Adolescence is, by it's very nature, an unstable time. Some without the correct family support and values do not handle it as well as most. In any school of several hundred adolescents I suspect there will always be a handful who are capable of such things.

The onus is on gun-owning parents to be responsible and keep their weapons locked up.
Knives are so ubiquitous I am not sure what can ever be done about that.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Why even bother with rehab? Remove from the gene pool. Re open the massive state mental hospitals and lock the crazies up again. Stop trying to medicate everyone.

This wasn't an issue back in the day when students were allowed to stick up for themselves w/o being expelled. Any type of fight now results in massive punishment. Its human nature for kids to be cruel and establish hierarchies, its always happened and always will. A few happy episodes of Glee wont fix that. I do think that TV and video games doesn't help matters either. We played Genesis in the cold months, but the rest of us ran home from the bus, grabbed our hockey gear and played street hockey almost every night. Even if not all of us liked each other, we still played together.

Because we aren't animals or barbarians.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post

you dont need medicationt o rehab a person. this kind of thing was common back in the day, the only difference was the technology and availability to provide the news to people isnt like it is today.

you also need to figure out that folks can bully others not just in person, but online too. Video games, facebook you name it. At least back int he day kids had relief from bullying but not today. Hell you dont even have to go to the same school today to have anonymous kids bullying you and messing with you in real life by gathering your info and harassing you that way.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
you dont need medicationt o rehab a person. this kind of thing was common back in the day, the only difference was the technology and availability to provide the news to people isnt like it is today.

you also need to figure out that folks can bully others not just in person, but online too. Video games, facebook you name it. At least back int he day kids had relief from bullying but not today. Hell you dont even have to go to the same school today to have anonymous kids bullying you and messing with you in real life by gathering your info and harassing you that way.
I agree, bullying is much worse today than it was back in the 90's with social media, it can make life much more difficult. I still think Facebook/Twitter is pretty lame and hopefully a fad that will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh