Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
He's banned.
Hallelujah. There is an e-god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i am sorry that zman is banned, if he actually is. i dont recall his ever being anything but honest. not everyone likes everything. i mean, if this were a lady gaga forum, im positive it would be trolled by people that hate her. its in HOW you say it - and i dont think he was malicious.

for the topic - this is great news! there are advantages in being mid-sized.
Szug, if I remember he personally attacked someone and went way over the line in doing so.

Topic (sorry YAC haha) - I think this stat is kind of useless. Tourism is a fickle and not really that much of an indicator of growth.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Having tourists is nice, but in no way should the local economy ever DEPEND on tourism, a la Las Vegas and a few other places. That's a recipe for instability.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Tourism is a fickle and not really that much of an indicator of growth.
Maybe not consistent growth no, but nothing is better for shedding old perceptions than a bunch of tourism. In the long-term that will trickle to more concrete economic growth.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:34 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Maybe not consistent growth no, but nothing is better for shedding old perceptions than a bunch of tourism. In the long-term that will trickle to more concrete economic growth.

Bingo. That what I was trying to construe, rather than having aspirations to have tourism be the new steel.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
The list looks like mostly convention traffic. I don't think anyone is really taking their family to Pittsburgh over Disney. Its a decent long weekend spot but that's about it.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
The list looks like mostly convention traffic. I don't think anyone is really taking their family to Pittsburgh over Disney. Its a decent long weekend spot but that's about it.

Nobody said nor was implying that Pittsburgh was a family destination over Disney. See the words "in our category." It takes way more than a weekend to see and enjoy all that Pittsburgh has to offer. What difference does it make if the visitors are coming here for conventions, baseball, sightseeing, art, whatever. Even if it is "mostly convention traffic" as you think. Is not trying to book conventions over other comparable cities of our size a competitive business? Are they having their convention in Pittsburgh because it is a lousy place to visit? The numbers don't lie.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
It takes way more than a weekend to see and enjoy all that Pittsburgh has to offer.
I think 3 full days in Pittsburgh is plenty for most tourists, unless you think they should visit tourist destinations like McKees Rocks? Or relax with a pina colada on the sandy shores of Neville Island lol.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Tourism should be nothing more than the cherry on top of a local economy. No economy that's based primarily on people from elsewhere spending money is sustainable, because people can spend money anywhere they want. Take a look at Las Vegas. It's going to be a long time before things are back to normal there, because no economic sectors other than tourism and construction were developed well enough.

The real value in tourism is the publicity. About six years ago I took a trip to Arkansas, because it was the only Southern state that I hadn't yet visited. At the time, there didn't seem to be any compelling reason to visit other than that, but that changed once I visited. Next time I go to Arkansas, I'll need to spend more time in the Ozark Mountains, and check out Hot Springs National Park as well. I might even swing by the town of Hope to see where Bill Clinton spent his childhood.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I think 3 full days in Pittsburgh is plenty for most tourists, unless you think they should visit tourist destinations like McKees Rocks? Or relax with a pina colada on the sandy shores of Neville Island lol.
Clearly you are unhappy here because you don't have a clue what all this city has going on. I am *never* able to pack in enough stuff in three days when friends visit. They always leave town super bummed out that they didn't make half their list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh