Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That is the same way I feel. Wow, something in common! Don't waste your time at Wingarts or BRGR. Go to Tessaro's in Bloomfield. That is the only place that you could get a naked burger or one with just cheese and be impressed. The other places just grill their burgers on a piece of metal, so they can't be all that great.

I just KNEW one day me and you would agree on something, other than agreeing to disagreeing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I eat way too many burgers, including all of the hot burger spots... so far I think Winghart's has the best, edging out BRGR and Burgatory. Butterjoint (Legume's high-end cocktail bar) gives them a run for their money though.
I sat at the bar at Butterjoint watching someone eat a burger and it looked/smelt great. I should try ....

Old 07-04-2014, 06:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I agree that some dive bars have the best burgers.

Walsh's, formerly at 6018 Broad St. Mall, had very good burgers. And very cold beer. At least until they were closed down as a bit too low brow for the emerging East Liberty yuppietown identity.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:44 PM

39 posts, read 54,727 times
Sidelines. Tender Bar.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I haven't tried most of the newer places mentioned. But of Burgatory/BRGR/Tessaro's/Wingharts, I'll take Wingharts. The meat is packed much looser so it has a completely different texture from the others - and one that's conducive to tasty grease getting all over the place. Love the fries too. My main complaint with Wingharts is that their buns can't deal with a really juicy burger - they tend to disintegrate.

I find Burgatory/BRGR to be about the same. Tessaro's is good, but far too many people told me it was by far the best that when I actually got around to having one, it couldn't meet my expectations. And it didn't.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'll take Wingharts. The meat is packed much looser so it has a completely different texture from the others ….
They must have changed the way they make the burgers. I sat at the counter and they put the burger down on the grill and smash it down right away to form it to the size they want. Thankfully they didn't press on it after it was being cooked or it would totally destroy it, but I would hardly call it loosely packed.

I gotta have mine cooked on a flame of some kind. I need the flavor from the burger, not a bunch of toppings masking the meat. To each their own though.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Tessaro's is certainly the most overrated burger. I haven't found anything there worth leaving the bar for.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Winghearts "shipwreck"
I ate this burger the other day. It was pretty good. My main complaint is that it came smothered in at least a quarter cup of aioli, which is basically just mayonnaise. In fact, based on the taste, I wouldn't be surprised if they just plopped store bought whipped mayonnaise, as opposed to making true aioli from scratch. Next time, I'll get the aioli on the side and put just a smear on my bun. Then, I'll be able to taste the burger and other ingredients.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I find wingharts to be ok, not a huge fan of whatever seasoning they load the meat with.

Ruggers pub makes a decent burger & has generally decent food overall for a dive bar.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Burgers & Sandwiches

Not your conventional burger but The Big Aristotle is awesome. What it doesn't say is the bun is replaced by grilled cheese sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh