Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 PM

8 posts, read 18,680 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a early thirties single female thinking about moving to Pittsburgh for a job opportunity. I am currently living in New jersey. I have a few questions that hopefully some one can help me with!

1. Is the cost of living better then it is in NJ?

2. What is Pittsburgh really like? I have not heard much about it, I did however run across something that said it was the #1 most livable places in America, is this true??

3. What is the singles life like? I am past the partying phase, so is there things to do and professional singles to meet?

4. where are the best(safest) places to live and what are the not so safe areas?

Any replys would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe76 View Post
1. Is the cost of living better then it is in NJ?
Definitely! Without a doubt!

Quote:
2. What is Pittsburgh really like? I have not heard much about it, I did however run across something that said it was the #1 most livable places in America, is this true??
I think it's true! Seriously, the cost of living is very low. The commute to work is very short. Real estate is very affordable. The cultural arts is extensive for a city this size so there's always something to do. One thing you'll notice that's completely different from Jersey is it's not super stressful driving here.

Quote:
3. What is the singles life like? I am past the partying phase, so is there things to do and professional singles to meet?
You're in luck. The singles life is better for someone who is done with the partying phase!

Some people complain that they have a hard time making friends.

Most people say they have had no problem because they got actively involved in doing things that connect them with people.

We can help point you in the right direction depending on your interests.

Quote:
4. where are the best(safest) places to live and what are the not so safe areas?
That will depend if you want to live in the city or the suburbs, own a car or use public transportation, where you'll be working, how long you ant your commute, etc.

You really need to tell us what you want in a neighborhood, and we'll tell you the best places that fit your criteria.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I can't really improve on Hopes's response, so um . . . ditto!

I'd just add that Pittsburgh has some pretty dynamic topography (the three rivers and various streams have carved out a system of deep valleys and ravines, leaving high spots we call hills), and as a byproduct we have all sorts of smallish neighborhoods with their own history and vibe. As far as desirable neighborhoods, I might note we are particularly loaded with historic homes in pleasant walkable neighborhoods which are priced very reasonably by East Coast standards, but we really have all sorts of neighborhoods and housing available. So as Hopes suggests, if you start describing what you would be looking for (and your estimated budget), and we can narrow things down for you.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:38 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
If you decide to rent, occupancy percentage rates are at some ungodly number, like 94%, I can't remember exactly. So you may run into some trouble/setbacks there in finding the exact type of place you want.

I personally have not had trouble making friends or meeting singles, and I'm around the same age as you. I always tell people to just get out and do things, there's plenty of groups to join too for just about any type of activity.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:50 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,270 times
Everything about Pittsburgh is better than New Jersey, not just the cost of living.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
If you decide to rent, occupancy percentage rates are at some ungodly number, like 94%, I can't remember exactly. So you may run into some trouble/setbacks there in finding the exact type of place you want.
Really? Wow! Why?

A shortage in rental units explains the question in my other thread wondering why it's cheaper to own than rent!

I guess all of the development has been on single family homes.

I also suspect now is a good time to buy property and turn it into rentals!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Ok, so it's 96.6% These articles might help explain it a little.

It's cheaper to own than to rent in region - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Pittsburgh again ranks No. 1 nationwide for apartment occupancy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I would be traveling alot, so I would like to live somewhere near the airport. I would not have to necessarily live downtown in the heart of everything since it seems from the posts that it is easy to get around in Pittsburgh. I would just like something safe, quiet, and near amenities such as grocery stores, malls etc.

So from this post what I'm getting is that it is difficult finding an apartment? I don't want to buy, as I plan on moving back down South, where I'm from in a few years.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 PM

I think the post on apartment shortages focused mostly on the city proper.

You shouldn't have a difficult time finding an apartment in suburbs.

Since you want to live near the airport, your focus will be the suburbs in the South and the West.

What do you want from your suburban neighborhood?

Do you want walkable? Mt. Lebanon is one walkable suburban neighborhood that has a little urban vibe with stores and restaurants.

Or would you rather live near a park? Or in a subdivision? Or an apartment complex? Or an old building that was converted into a few apartments?

Give us specifics. What are your interests? What do you like to do in your free time? All of these things help us point you in the direction of the best fit.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM

I guess what I'm looking for is a neighborhood with a little Urban life. I don't want to live in a neighborhood with families/lots of kids. I would also like an area with some nature, not buildings and concrete. I'm also looking for new/recently built apartments, or even an older building that has been updated, however it would have to be REALLY updated.

What I like to do in my free time: watch movies, shop, going to museums, going to trendy bars for happy hour. Is this enough to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh