Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
There is river access on the South Side, Emsworth/Glenfield, Leetsdale, Sharpsburg, Tarentum and other areas but no beaches.
There are quite a few beach-like areas on the banks of the Allegheny River along Lower Burrell and further north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are quite a few beach-like areas on the banks of the Allegheny River along Lower Burrell and further north.
"Beach-like"? Must be me but there's no way I would consider anything on the river beach-like.

I've boated the rivers for 25+ years and I haven't seen any appealing beach-like areas except for Sandcastle, Crowes Nest, Kelly's, Paradise Beach, etc...

Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
"Beach-like"? Must be me but there's no way I would consider anything on the river beach-like.

I've boated the rivers for 25+ years and I haven't seen any appealing beach-like areas except for Sandcastle, Crowes Nest, Kelly's, Paradise Beach, etc...
They're small sandbars near and next to the banks. The locals use them all the time like beaches. You've gotta keep in mind that these are RIVERS, not oceans or lakes. You take what you can when you want to hang by the river. These are actual places you can sit on a towel or a beach chair and walk out into the water because it's shallow.

I don't care how many years you've boated the river. You can't really degrade it unless you've actually tried these places the locals do.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They're small sandbars near and next to the banks. The locals use them all the time like beaches. You've gotta keep in mind that these are RIVERS, not oceans or lakes. You take what you can when you want to hang by the river. These are actual places you can sit on a towel or a beach chair and walk out into the water because it's shallow.

I don't care how many years you've boated the river. You can't really degrade it unless you've actually tried these places the locals do.
Ive seen those areas. Right, the 3 RIVERS, and theres also the Yough and Beaver.

More power to them if that's all there is...but the RIVERS are nasty and I would never recommend them or the shore to be used as "beach-like"...especially kids. The RIVERS change all the time with debris, garbage, etc..., being washed up. Some type of footwear is all but a must.

Somebody that's boated/walked/used the RIVERS for many years knows what they're really like. Those that are new to them do not.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Back in the day, Pittsburgh had Smoky City Beach on the south side.

South Side: Images 3: Smoky City Beach

Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Back in the day, Pittsburgh had Smoky City Beach on the south side.

South Side: Images 3: Smoky City Beach
Awesome.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
I wouldn't go on the Allegheny south of Emlenton unless I had shots first.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I wouldn't go on the Allegheny south of Emlenton unless I had shots first.
Why Emlenton, specifically? Is there something polluting the river there? I would feel safe anywhere above Freeport (confluence with the Kiskiminetas).

Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
There are some pretty great swimming spots on the Yough below the falls in Ohiopyle. Hike upstream from Cucumber Run along the Meadow Run trail and you will come across many great little pools riverside, sheltered from the rapids by the rocks. Some of these little pools are rather large, others only the size of a hot tub. It's a great place to cool off and watch the rafters go by.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
There are some pretty great swimming spots on the Yough below the falls in Ohiopyle. Hike upstream from Cucumber Run along the Meadow Run trail and you will come across many great little pools riverside, sheltered from the rapids by the rocks. Some of these little pools are rather large, others only the size of a hot tub. It's a great place to cool off and watch the rafters go by.
A neat place for sure.

The Clarion River and the Cooks Forest area is also a neat place and a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh