Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM

45,514 posts, read 60,746,993 times

Advertisements

The August before we moved to MD in 1983 a frost killed my tomatoes.

I've Trick or Treated in snow more than once growing up and ran into snow on Memorial Day at the cemetery near Bradford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
I think there are more absolutely cloudless days in the winter than the summer. It's usually bitter cold when that happens. I'm not saying winter isn't gloomy. I'm just saying that sometimes there is not one cloud in the sky. That's more rare in the summer.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Well, sure. When I lived in Savannah I had on overnight job. One week I picked up Saturday and Sunday shifts so for almost two weeks I left for work in the dark and returned home in the semi-dark. I slept for all of the daylight hours. But I didn't tell people: "Savannah is such a dark city! There is never any sunlight in the winter."
I don't think you get my point. If you're going through a string of cloudy days including weekends, you can go a while w/o seeing the sun, esp. if you work full time. Gnutella tells us there are only a few strings of more than 4 cloudy days in a row. I think 4 in a row is pretty cloudy. It's not that cloudy in (no, it's not what you think I'm going to say) Champaign, IL, a place I lived for 7 years. I think it's denialist to say that Pittsburgh isn't cloudy in the winter. Good Lord, I lived there long enough to know that!

ETA: From December 22, 2013-March 22, 2014, Champaign had
0 strings > 2 days of cloudy days in December
1 string of 5 days; 1 string of 4 days and 4 strings of 3 days in January
2 strings of 3 cloudy days in Feb
0 strings of >2 cloudy days until March 22.

That is assuming every day marked as snow was totally cloudy, which is probably untrue.

ETA: For the same period in Minneapolis, which had a brutal winter this past year:
1 string of 5 days in December (again, assuming every day with snow was totally cloudy)
1 string of 4 days and 1 string of 3 in January
I string of 3 days in Feb
1 string of 3 days in March

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-26-2014 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Add Minneapolis

Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,898,973 times
Check to see how many cloudy days we get compared to the PNW. It is a close race.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Check to see how many cloudy days we get compared to the PNW. It is a close race.
Have you ever been to the PNW? If you have, you didn't spend much time there. It rains almost everyday on Washington coast. As beautiful as the Oregon coast is, it's extremely difficult to enjoy it because high winds just beats you down. It takes a lot of energy to battle the wind. Inland isn't as bad but the winters are dreary. The plus side for both Washington and Oregon is the low humidity. Here you feel dirty before the day is over. There you can miss shower and realize you still feel clean.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, if you're working full time, that bold is entirely possible. You can go to work in the dark, or semi-dark, on a "partly cloudy" day and come home in the dark, or in semi-dark. Then if the weekend's cloudy, bingo! Two weeks gone w/o seeing the sun.
You're right of course, But that's not the weather's fault, I'm afraid. Its a side effect of less sun in winter, shorter days and g*&@!m work - it gets in the way of everything, darn work. Hate it

Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,097,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I'm sure I have said this before, but in Seattle, a partly cloudy day means that there is a bright spot where you might expect the sun to be, in a solidly overcast sky.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:14 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,784,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiana View Post
I think it's denialist to say that pittsburgh isn't cloudy in the winter. Good lord, i lived there long enough to know that!
NOBODY IS SAYING THAT PITTSBURGH ISN'T CLOUDY DURING THE WINTER. WE'RE SIMPLY REFUTING -- WITH FACTS, MIND YOU -- THE NOTION THAT "THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE FOR WEEKS ON END" THAT YOUR RUN-OF-THE-MILL MORON KEEPS INSISTING. WHAT PART OF "IT'S CLOUDY MORE OFTEN THAN NOT DURING THE WINTER, BUT THE SUN DOES STILL COME OUT" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

I'M TIRED OF HAVING WHAT I SAY MISCONSTRUED, AND I'M BEGINNING TO THINK THAT YOU DO IT DELIBERATELY. IF YOU DON'T, THEN YOUR READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS ARE POOR.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
NOBODY IS SAYING THAT PITTSBURGH ISN'T CLOUDY DURING THE WINTER. WE'RE SIMPLY REFUTING -- WITH FACTS, MIND YOU -- THE NOTION THAT "THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE FOR WEEKS ON END" THAT YOUR RUN-OF-THE-MILL MORON KEEPS INSISTING. WHAT PART OF "IT'S CLOUDY MORE OFTEN THAN NOT DURING THE WINTER, BUT THE SUN DOES STILL COME OUT" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

I'M TIRED OF HAVING WHAT I SAY MISCONSTRUED, AND I'M BEGINNING TO THINK THAT YOU DO IT DELIBERATELY. IF YOU DON'T, THEN YOUR READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS ARE POOR.
I'd so rep you if I could. Even for a post in caps - that was loud, man

Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,097,732 times
Anyways, summer is over when the grackles leave. I saw a bunch of them on top of one of the buildings, so they must be flocking and getting ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh