Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times

Advertisements

Since my daughter was born I basically stopped going to shows, but I went to quite a few over the first 3-4 years I lived in the area. Some of the more memorable ones:

The Andy Warhol Museum - Antony & the Johnsons, Matmos
Club Cafe - Crooked Fingers (most of Club Cafe's stuff was too "YEP" for me, but it's a nice, intimate venue)
Garfield Artworks - Wolf Eyes (plus numerous ****ty bands, and Girl Talk like 158 times)
Mr. Smalls - Animal Collective, Atmosphere, Blackalicious, Low
Modern Formations - Rachels
Various places at CMU Jarboe, Prefuse 73, Spoon
On Pitt Campus - Andrew Bird (saw him a second time at the Arts Festival one year, wasn't anywhere near as amazing as the first time)

I'm sure there's even more that I'm forgetting, particularly at Garfield Artworks and Mr. Smalls, since I went to so many shows there (many of them various levels of unimpressive).

Anyway, thought that this would spark some good discussion. Let's see...

Last edited by eschaton; 11-26-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,962,137 times
Erykah Badu - Club Laga

Jay Z - Kongs

Jill Scott - Benedum

Layla Hathaway - August Wilson

SOS Band - Emerald Room

The Roots - Strip

Sade - Benedum

Maze Featuring Frankie beverly - Heinz Hall

Wutang - Strip

Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,962,137 times
How could I forget the Fresh Fest of 1984 at the Civic Arena

Run DMC

Fat Boys

Curtis Blow

Dougie Fresh

and many others. I was 9 years old

I also attended the big concert in 87 or 88. Slick Rick, LL Cool J, Salt N Peppa, Keith Sweat, Big Daddy Kane among others. Concerts were huge back then.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 AM

373 posts, read 378,403 times
Laga was a trip. RIP. Never saw an AMAZING show there but enjoyed myself the handful of times I made it out there before it closed.

Gwar at Mr. Smalls is always a good time. Looking forward to that again in about a week and a half.

They Might Be Giants (also at Smalls) was especially great when I saw them perform Flood in its entirety. That was like a childhood dream come true.

Protomen at Altar Bar... amazing
Anamanaguchi at Garfield Artworks... amazing
Iron & Wine at Carnegie Library Music Hall... amazing
Streetlight Manifesto at Carnegie Library Music Hall... amazing
Neutral Milk Hotel at Carnegie Music Hall... amazing

Oneohtrix Point Never at the Warhol was pretty cool as an experience but I didn't really like the set and it was very short.

Nickel Creek at Stage AE was incredible. My buddy who went with me couldn't shut up about how it changed his life for days after the fact.

The best I've ever seen in Pittsburgh was Daikaiju (Alabama surf rock!) at a house show in south Oakland. This was in someone's kitchen. Masks. Cymbals set on fire. The band moving outside to play their last song and the band members and their equipment being held 5 feet in the air by the audience. Unstoppable.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Zeppelin at the Arena in 75 was excellent as well as ZZ Top and Aerosmith at 3 Rivers the following year.

Of course, Frankie Capri at the Liberty Belle in 96 was a unique event.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Old school here.

Boz Scaggs, 1977 at the Arena, he was great. Scored that night. Saw him 3 weeks ago, struck out. Different woman.

Linda Ronstadt at the Syria Mosque same year, back when she was H O T. So sad about her recent illness.

The last concert at the Arena, Carole King and James Taylor. No light show, back up dancers or lip syncing, just talent.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Linda Ronstadt at the Syria Mosque same year, back when she was H O T. So sad about her recent illness.
I saw her at Radio City that tour. You're so far from the stage there, no matter where you sit. It would have been nice to see her at Syria Mosque.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
Linda Ronstadt in 78. Remarkable vocalist. The entire audience was mesmerized and both girls and boys had a deep almost painful crush on her.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
The Who

Grateful Dead

Aerosmith

Rolling Stones

Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
Prince at Mellon Arena on the Musicology tour. Actually the 2nd best concert I've attended ever, anywhere.

Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Club Cafe.

Black 47 (Farewell Tour), Rex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh