Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

They are holding a hearing this evening in the City County Building this evening, proposing new registration fees and regulations turned against out of county landlords. Some of these fellows and young ladies are pretty hostile against the mayor's initiative, and a lot of speakers have signed on. Its a $65 per unit fee to the city for every housing unit, requires folks from Cranberry and other places outside the county to hire real estate agents to manage properties, among other new regs.

But what I find a little bit irksome is that the proudly full-time City Council who all receive considerable salaries, pensions and benefits couldn't make it to the hearing. It was on Channel 13 on the comcast cable in the city.

Two public hearings planned for Pittsburgh budget initiatives | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They are holding a hearing this evening in the City County Building this evening, proposing new registration fees and regulations turned against out of county landlords. Some of these fellows and young ladies are pretty hostile against the mayor's initiative, and a lot of speakers have signed on. Its a $65 per unit fee to the city for every housing unit, requires folks from Cranberry and other places outside the county to hire real estate agents to manage properties, among other new regs.

But what I find a little bit irksome is that the proudly full-time City Council who all receive considerable salaries, pensions and benefits couldn't make it to the hearing. It was on Channel 13 on the comcast cable in the city.

Two public hearings planned for Pittsburgh budget initiatives | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"young ladies"?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:

I am unable to see where it says it it applies to only out of county landlords, or anyone having to have to hitter real estate agents to manage the property.

Basically what this is, if you want to rent a property, pay a registration fee, and then let us know who we are to contact if you fail to properly maintain it.

Fee may be a little high, but concept seems okay. I mean how many absentee landlords are there in the city....

Old 12-01-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I am unable to see where it says it it applies to only out of county landlords, or anyone having to have to hitter real estate agents to manage the property.

Basically what this is, if you want to rent a property, pay a registration fee, and then let us know who we are to contact if you fail to properly maintain it.

Fee may be a little high, but concept seems okay. I mean how many absentee landlords are there in the city....

The whole law isn't in the PG link, but there is a provision for out of county landlords being required to hire real estate management firms.

The information about who the landlords are is already on the county real estate assessment website, the information can be compiled by computer without input at all from the landlords. Landlords who are corporate entities are registered with the Secretary of State.

Having people pay fees, hire a file clerk to sort out the information and sit in an office overlooking it, just seems to be a waste.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
"young ladies"?
I watched part of the hearing, most of the landlords are men, but there were also a number of young ladies speaking on the topic.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I watched part of the hearing, most of the landlords are men, but there were also a number of young ladies speaking on the topic.
Were they young gentlemen?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Were they young gentlemen?
Actually they were most old guys, like me.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Actually they were most old guys, like me.
Well, then why didn't you say young ladies and old gentlemen?
Alternately, men and women?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 PM

281 posts, read 340,755 times
Quote:
"young ladies"?

the same poster has also referred to women as "dames," has repeatedly called the Pittsburgh police force "the men," and invoked the name of Leonard Staisey who was an Allegheny County commissioner in the 60s and 70s. The clock stopped, and the only question is whether it stopped when seersucker suits were in or out of season.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
It does not matter if you hire a mgt company or not, if the owner doesn't pay the bills the mgt company is not going to keep up on the maintenance. A bad landlord is a bad landlord. All this is going to do is raise rents and help cheap mgt companies find customers.

I am not a problem landlord, and i dont need a mgt company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: