Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:34 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

I had to make sure my post-playoff game misery wasn't clouding my judgement, and that I stumbled into Buffalo's forum instead.

But yea, I will state that with my albeit limited experience, greater Buffalo is....nice, for lack of a better word. I can surely see myself living in western NY. It's not a paradise, by any means, but it for the middle aged who maybe has achieved financial stability and wants to play (boating, biking, skiing, etc.), its purty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I had to make sure my post-playoff game misery wasn't clouding my judgement, and that I stumbled into Buffalo's forum instead.

But yea, I will state that with my albeit limited experience, greater Buffalo is....nice, for lack of a better word. I can surely see myself living in western NY. It's not a paradise, by any means, but it for the middle aged who maybe has achieved financial stability and wants to play (boating, biking, skiing, etc.), its purty good.
Nice wine too in the Fingers Lakes. It is a beautiful part of the world. For once, I'm with the bear on this one in terms of the attractions of the WNY region.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

But the issue is these millennials are urban oriented. Selling them on having to drive for miles to take in greater Buffalo's amenities probably won't work.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But the issue is these millennials are urban oriented. Selling them on having to drive for miles to take in greater Buffalo's amenities probably won't work.
The drive doesn't feel that long compared to the PA mountains. For instance, boating can be 30 min or less away depending on location. Skiing is about 1 hr tops again, depending on location. Niagara Falls for when the guests come to town. Whatever concerts and shows aren't in Buffalo can be found in Toronto. Lakes are everywhere. Buffalo has a pretty decent park system. The Football and Hockey fans are a smaller fan base but as devoted as Steeler fans. Festivals all year round including Winter festivals. Chautauqua/Peek N'Peak/Holiday Valley always have something going on. Hiking and fishing. There is no drilling and little mining so the water is pretty decent out in the countryside. The Finger Lakes have a rep for water quality. Amish counties. Almost zero humidity in the summer. Wine country.

The only downside is there are specific spots that receive about 10 feet or more of snow a year (sarcasm, sorta) and the NY government. Otherwise, it is a hidden paradise.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Mostly if you are into cross-country skiing. I believe Buffalo is pretty flat. And IBM ain't what it used to be; I'd take Google over IBM any day.
So you can choose which 16 hours of the day to work, and which 1/2 day a week to take off? Arrgh!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Buffalo is a very urban city. The downtown is surrounded by hip, historic, urban, walkable Victorian neighborhoods like Allentown (my favorite) and Elmwood Village, among others. It's kind of like Erie times ten, but with more vitality and a skyline.

I would move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the lake effect snow.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Buffalo is a very urban city. The downtown is surrounded by hip, historic, urban, walkable Victorian neighborhoods like Allentown (my favorite) and Elmwood Village, among others. It's kind of like Erie times ten, but with more vitality and a skyline.

I think Forbes listed Buffalo among its "dying" cities. A person wants a place that has jobs first of all. I couldn't care less about hipness if I can't make a living.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you can choose which 16 hours of the day to work, and which 1/2 day a week to take off? Arrgh!
Google is often listed among the best companies to work for, plus IBM has been marginalized and one needs to think about career.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The drive doesn't feel that long compared to the PA mountains. For instance, boating can be 30 min or less away depending on location. Skiing is about 1 hr tops again, depending on location. Niagara Falls for when the guests come to town. Whatever concerts and shows aren't in Buffalo can be found in Toronto. Lakes are everywhere. Buffalo has a pretty decent park system. The Football and Hockey fans are a smaller fan base but as devoted as Steeler fans. Festivals all year round including Winter festivals. Chautauqua/Peek N'Peak/Holiday Valley always have something going on. Hiking and fishing. There is no drilling and little mining so the water is pretty decent out in the countryside. The Finger Lakes have a rep for water quality. Amish counties. Almost zero humidity in the summer. Wine country.

The only downside is there are specific spots that receive about 10 feet or more of snow a year (sarcasm, sorta) and the NY government. Otherwise, it is a hidden paradise.
Millennials want a car-less existence so 30 minutes or 1 hour are unattainable distances. And I'd hate zero humidity. Super dry air is as annoying as water ladened air.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:39 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post

I havent been to Buffalo in about 7 years, and although Allentown was a nice area (my friend lived there), the rest of the places we went seemed empty...like ghosttown empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh