Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
All I know is, nobody I know in Pittsburgh is being "left behind." They're all gainfully employed. My brother and his fiancee are saving money to buy a house in North Huntingdon Township. My best childhood friend bought a house on the North Side five years ago, and got married last year. Another friend I reconnected with last year is ****ing loaded, and living very comfortably in Richland Township, and he told me that one of my old friends that I've lost touch with has a family of six and is doing well in Hampton Township.
Ugh, they probably eat Fro-Yo too....

Old 01-28-2015, 02:35 AM

664 posts, read 807,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Why are PA's high business taxes an "excuse" to you? What's your axe to grind? Why, living in NYC, would you even care to have such an opinion?
Because I own property and business interests in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think you've confused common sense regulation with actual regulation. Actual regulation might be a fixed medallion taxi system, liquor licensing that drives up the cost of opening a bar out of the reach of regular people, education requirements that serve no purpose than to drive up the cost of getting into a business. Frankly it's naive to think that all regulation is common sense or necessary. Even strict zoning codes primarily serve to restrict competition. These are the sorts of things slow growing states like Pennsylvania do poorly and they do affect job growth. Common sense regulation is a good goal you just need to recognize it isn't a reality
I think what you say is fair. I will agree that not all regulation is common sense and much of it is antiquated, and it is important to winnow regulations down to those that make the most sense for the present day (believe me, I'm not for regulation just for regulations' sake), but I think this is exactly the kind of conversation that our political leaders need to have. The platitudes about how "government is too bureaucratic and onerous" is not helpful.

A thoughtful conversation about how to improve government would go much longer, bi-partisan way, instead of nonsense rhetoric about getting rid of government oversight altogether (not that I'm implying you've argued that, but it's certainly a mindset among some politicians).

Last edited by Duderino; 01-28-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
I think the brisk US economy will always leave Pittsburgh and all PA cities behind. Just look how the government treats us. We have some of the highest fuel prices in our region. We play 30% extra tax for a flood that happened in 1936!!!!!!!!! Then of course we have our nice extra local onorato tax. What about our wildly high state income tax? Lets face it, this stats sucks and it will never compete in this competitive market. Just tons and tons of taxes to line the pockets of a few idiot doing nothing. We get NOTHING for all these extra expenses. I wonder what new taxes are on the table as I type this? I am sure we are due for another one.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think the brisk US economy will always leave Pittsburgh and all PA cities behind. Just look how the government treats us. We have some of the highest fuel prices in our region. We play 30% extra tax for a flood that happened in 1936!!!!!!!!! Then of course we have our nice extra local onorato tax. What about our wildly high state income tax? Lets face it, this stats sucks and it will never compete in this competitive market. Just tons and tons of taxes to line the pockets of a few idiot doing nothing. We get NOTHING for all these extra expenses. I wonder what new taxes are on the table as I type this? I am sure we are due for another one.
according to this - States with the highest and lowest taxes - PA ranks 10th is state tax burden. Not crazy high like some falling apart states with higher tax burdens like CA and NY

Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
according to this - States with the highest and lowest taxes - PA ranks 10th is state tax burden. Not crazy high like some falling apart states with higher tax burdens like CA and NY
Ny is indeed falling apart. Perhaps more importantly it mentions Pennsylvania's relatively low personal income tax which would indicate that it's made up elsewhere. Now the corporate income tax is in fact very high

Old 01-29-2015, 07:00 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Yeah, we rank 10th, how wonderful. Add in we are the only state that has a monopoly on alcohol, paying for some flood in the 30's, that was paid for many decades ago, not to mention we have some of the highest fuel prices. You need to add all the mess up.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:10 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,094,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yeah, we rank 10th, how wonderful. Add in we are the only state that has a monopoly on alcohol, paying for some flood in the 30's, that was paid for many decades ago, not to mention we have some of the highest fuel prices. You need to add all the mess up.
Incorrect.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
The majority of restrictions listed there are from wholesaling and contracting. It appears that PA is the only one with strict control over wine (on top of liquor) and the inclusion of the necessity of beer "distributors". From this list it appears that this state is the most strict overall.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
I was discussing this with someone today.

Could part of this lagging be that we ALREADY had stuff in place?All these condominiums in downtown and the Strip District are in re-used buildings. In other cities, stuff would probably be demolished, then a new structure raised. That alone is millions more put into the economy.

Plus, the city in particular is improving, most would agree. But it is renewal, instead of SPRAWL, like they see in Nevada and other high growth areas of the West (and I wish it would stop, but oh well). Sprawl, again, is millions more for utilities and so on. But here, utilities are in place, thus skipping the jobs and money needed for it.

I do not know if this registers heavily against the rate of economic growth, but I do bet it makes some notably perceptible difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh