Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 PM

100 posts, read 93,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Not surprising, we don't have any oil refineries in the area, unless someone is holding shares in oil concerns, it is probably off the radar.

The USW headquarters here doesn't have a large staff, and I'm sure most of those folks are more concerned with paying the health claims of their members, collecting/investing dues money and lobbying politicians, the usual business of an international.
Not only lobbying politicians but working very hard and spending lots of union dues to get them elected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhpqMLribI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
The USW headquarters here doesn't have a large staff, and I'm sure most of those folks are more concerned with paying the health claims of their members, collecting/investing dues money and lobbying politicians, the usual business of an international.
I have a lot of acquaintances who work for the USW. Most of the people I know who work there are researchers, lawyers, communications folks, etc. Why would they have their lobbyists based here, rather than DC after all?

Not that I approve of everything they do. The USW is a well-meaning, but fairly ineffectual union. But they're not corrupt like the building trades or Teamsters, or complete screwups like the UFCW.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:45 PM

618 posts, read 692,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
Not only lobbying politicians but working very hard and spending lots of union dues to get them elected.

Great point Ricky, I bet corporations wouldn't spend money on that! Where are you getting all of these fantastic youtube videos!?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:00 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,214 times
Pennsylvania doesn't have as many Hillbillies as Texas so you might have to go into a different city's forum to get support. I almost puked today seeing Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick cutting a cake in celebration of the 10th year of legalized discrimination by the State of Baptistan...oops, Texas...against same-sex couples.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Pennsylvania doesn't have as many Hillbillies as Texas so you might have to go into a different city's forum to get support. I almost puked today seeing Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick cutting a cake in celebration of the 10th year of legalized discrimination by the State of Baptistan...oops, Texas...against same-sex couples.
That's funny jimmy, but Texas doesn't have Hillbillies, we have rednecks. Hillbillies are more likely to allow anything to marry anything for example sisters marrying brothers and fathers, men marrying sheep and the like. Rednecks on the other hand do prefer the man-woman union. The whole procreation thing ya know?

Perhaps you could work on your stereotypes?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I have a lot of acquaintances who work for the USW. Most of the people I know who work there are researchers, lawyers, communications folks, etc. Why would they have their lobbyists based here, rather than DC after all?

Not that I approve of everything they do. The USW is a well-meaning, but fairly ineffectual union. But they're not corrupt like the building trades or Teamsters, or complete screwups like the UFCW.

The UFCW has been pretty effective in keeping the State Store system and preventing liquor privatization.

Pretty major series of victories on their part, maybe they've "screwed up" in other areas, but they also have enjoyed success.

They also succeeded in keeping Giant Eagle stores under their umbrella, when most of the rest of the grocery business is non-union here, they signed another contract just last year I believe.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
The UFCW has been pretty effective in keeping the State Store system and preventing liquor privatization.

Pretty major series of victories on their part, maybe they've "screwed up" in other areas, but they also have enjoyed success.

They also succeeded in keeping Giant Eagle stores under their umbrella, when most of the rest of the grocery business is non-union here, they signed another contract just last year I believe.
The state store system here in PA is represented by an independent union.

Back in the 1970s, grocery store clerks made roughly the same wage as autoworkers. The clerks union (one of the predecessors of the UFCW) rolled over to management demands for a two tier system with part timers earning less money and getting no benefits. The union contracts are generally speaking worthless to part-timers, with the exception of having a grievance procedure. Which means the one and only effect an average high school student sees for their dues money is seeing nitwits get their job back. I can think of no more damaging introduction to have to trade unionism.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Right to work states are the way to go. Those that want to pay the union dues can, those that don't, don't have to. Unfortunately even in right to work states the workers have to abide by union rules. You know it works because the unions and the Democrats have been trying to get rid of the right for states to have that option.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Liquor store managers are represented by the independent union, the clerks are a different bargaining unit and repped by the UFCW.

About | UFCW Local 23

Back in the 70's and 80's, the established grocery chains were challenged by new competitors around here, mostly Shop n Save and Foodland stores. In order to get the new operators on board with becoming union shops, the union offered the new stores more favorable contracts as an enticement to go union.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 AM

Unions are drying up in the U.S.

The incredible decline of American unions, in one animated map - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh