Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,296,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I'm kind of surprised at the responses SCR is getting, as a former delivery driver myself. What did people think happened to your tires/brakes/cv joint/struts/tranny driving in stop and go traffic in the city all day every day in all extremes of weather? Of course it's going to be more wear and tear than your average commuter.
True dat. 30k miles in the city would be brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM

876 posts, read 1,147,118 times
Quote:
I'm kind of surprised at the responses SCR is getting, as a former delivery driver myself. What did people think happened to your tires/brakes/cv joint/struts/tranny driving in stop and go traffic in the city all day every day in all extremes of weather? Of course it's going to be more wear and tear than your average commuter.
Likewise. I beat the ever living hell out of two very resilient Civics in my pizza delivery years. When doing it out here, I went through brake pads about as quickly as some folks go through oil changes.

It was a fine way to make ends meet at the time, I meet some amazing people working in pizza shops, but I do not miss that job one bit.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 PM

876 posts, read 1,147,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I guess I am either on a very reliable bus route or have really low expectations of what public transportation should be like. My bus shows up on time (give or take a minute at most) and delivers me to within a block of my office building for a set fee each day. Should it be doing more?
It should be running on Sundays and after 8 o'clock!

Brookliners who work in restaurants Downtown and those of us who like taking transit to Bucco games shouldn't have to walk to Dormont to catch a ride. The 39 is a fine route, but if it continues to only serve the Monday-Friday 9-5 crowd, Brookline is going to fail to capitalize on it's potential to really attract young home buyers who are priced out of the East End.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,655,659 times
Quote:
Way more. I've never had to do that kind of driving, but I've known people who do and that kind of driving is very hard on a car.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:44 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,655,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
When gas was more expensive I would spend roughly 300 a month and I drive a SUV or minivan and live in the burbs and drive to work downtown and shuttle my kids around to activities all over the city.
When gas prices were at their highest I had a long commute and a gas guzzling van. I was spending about $600 a month on gas alone. I drove about 100 miles a day round trip on weekdays, mostly freeway miles. Traffic was quite heavy on my trip home so I spent a lot of time idling. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to go 50 miles in the morning and about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get home in the evening. I hated it.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 AM

831 posts, read 881,929 times
Quote:
People probably think that if you're going to use your car as a delivery vehicle (like I did while delivering pizzas for 4 years or so when I was a kid), that you don't do it in a new expensive vehicle that comes with a car payment. You do it in an inexpensive, easy to maintain, paid for vehicle.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 AM
CFP

475 posts, read 625,671 times
Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. It is a product of the Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992. It is an action agenda for the UN, other multilateral organizations, and individual governments around the world that can be executed at local, national, and global levels. The "21" in Agenda 21 refers to the 21st Century. It has been affirmed and modified at subsequent UN conferences.

agenda 21 shifts job growth to the city center so that the dying towns outside the city (mckeesport, new kensington, etc.) can be restored back to nature

transit oriented developments such as the one currently being completed in east liberty are part of this agenda

Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,899,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
agenda 21 shifts job growth to the city center so that the dying towns outside the city (mckeesport, new kensington, etc.) can be restored back to nature
Could be the best thing for some of these towns as they only came into existance for one purpose only (support the local mine, mill, coke ovens, etc. depending on the town), that purpose has ceased & now your major sources of income are things like SSI or Meth production in addition to the support costs of infrastructure, schools, police, etc that remain in place with little to no tax base.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:32 AM

32,624 posts, read 77,760,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
People probably think that if you're going to use your car as a delivery vehicle (like I did while delivering pizzas for 4 years or so when I was a kid), that you don't do it in a new expensive vehicle that comes with a car payment. You do it in an inexpensive, easy to maintain, paid for vehicle.
Some of us don't want to put 30,000 miles per year on ancient cars that will die every two years and want to buy a new car that will last 5-6+ years.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,284,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Some of us don't want to put 30,000 miles per year on ancient cars that will die every two years and want to buy a new car that will last 5-6+ years.

Taxi companies, which have a similar usage pattern as you, often buy retired police cruisers that already have more than 100,000 miles when they are painted yellow and commissioned as cabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh