Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I read it just fine. Where are the numbers that show the career path one ends up with while going through the better rated academic school systems?
While I'm sure there are other studies which can answer that, the ones posted by eschaton make it clear that the trajectory would have to change remarkably in order to satisfy your "aggregately better whole = aggregately better parts" hypothesis.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
While I'm sure there are other studies which can answer that, the ones posted by eschaton make it clear that the trajectory would have to change remarkably in order to satisfy your "aggregately better whole = aggregately better parts" hypothesis.
Just waiting to see your numbers.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see the numbers that show that the top rated schools don't produce better students who go onto better colleges who end up with better careers. The student looking for this opportunity is going to have a far better chance going to better academically rated schools. There are always exceptions, but the majority will come out further ahead traveling the higher academically rated road.
I'm waiting for these numbers.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for these numbers.
Why don't you find and post some numbers?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 PM

68 posts, read 84,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I don't believe so. The city magnet programs do not segregate students based on race and income. The magnet programs do not segregate special needs children either. Special needs students receive additional in class support with some after school tutoring. There are high achieving poor students in public schools as well.
You still have to test or audition to be selected to attend a magnet school, right?

It would make sense that it would be easier for children from affluent families to gain admission to a magnet school, compared to a poor family that may lack the necessary resources.

Not every child attending PPS will have the privilege of attending a magnet school.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfds View Post
You still have to test or audition to be selected to attend a magnet school, right?

It would make sense that it would be easier for children from affluent families to gain admission to a magnet school, compared to a poor family that lacks resources.

Not every child attending PPS will have the privilege of attending a magnet school.
What does that even mean? That they would bribe their way?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 PM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
For most magnets, it's a straight up lottery. CAPA has an audition and I think SciTech has some sort of essay. All the grade schools are lottery.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Here was a study back in 2011. It tracked the performance of students at a type of "elite magnet" program offered in NYC and Boston (schools which highly competitive admissions tests to get in - Pittsburgh doesn't really do this). It found that controlling for beginning with a higher caliber of student, there was little to no effect on student outcome. Money quote...

Quote:
Our results offer little evidence of an achievement gain for those admitted to an exam school; most of the estimates can be interpreted as reasonably precise zeros, with a smattering of significant effects, both positive and negative. In other words, in spite of their exposure to much higher-achieving peers and a more challenging curriculum, marginal students admitted to exam schools generally do no better on a variety of standardized tests. For the most part, this finding carries over to subgroups of minorities and women, though we find some evidence of an exam school achievement boost on high school English tests for minority applicants in Boston. Results for minorities are of special interest given the history of litigation around minority admissions. Our analysis of College Board outcomes also uncovers a small subset of admitted applicants who appear to earn higher SAT scores than they otherwise would have.
Of course, one could argue that elite, merit-based magnet schools aren't the same thing as private schools, or top public schools. But the things which people argue which cause those schools to shine are exactly the same (being around peers who care about achievement, having a well-funded school system, etc).

Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Why don't you find and post some numbers?
I'm not disputing the obvious. Nobody would choose a bottom rated school over a top rated school if they weren't biased towards it. The majority of those coming from better schools are going to have a better career path. There are always exceptions, but in this case, I'm talking the majority.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Sigh ....
There's already a thread where you can argue about silly things, like your personal definition of a word for example.
We really don't need more threads like that, do we ?
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh