Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Meh. Not this conversation again. We've already had a whole thread, and I still see NO similarity between Pittsburgh and Philly. I've lived in both metro regions and I can confidently say that you would find no one east of the Susquehanna who would agree with you on this point.
My whole extended family is from the Philadelphia area. The similarities in architecture and accent are pretty damn obvious. Both are "cities of neighborhoods" as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My whole extended family is from the Philadelphia area. The similarities in architecture and accent are pretty damn obvious. Both are "cities of neighborhoods" as well.
Yeah, well.. I completely disagree with you regardless of where your family lives. Obviously we aren't going to sway each other on this...

BUT

It would be interesting to see you post your thoughts about the similarities between Philly and Pittsburgh on the Philly City Data Forum. I think it would be an entertaining read.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:59 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
It would be interesting to see you post your thoughts about the similarities between Philly and Pittsburgh on the Philly City Data Forum. I think it would be an entertaining read.
What people in Philly think about Pittsburgh is beside the point, because many of them haven't spent any length of time here. Hell, many people in the Philly suburbs rarely even venture into the city these days.

In general, I've found people from Philly often think there's some sort of rivalry thing going with Pittsburgh. People from Pittsburgh are like "What? Huh?"

Old 07-29-2015, 03:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
What people in Philly think about Pittsburgh is beside the point, because many of them haven't spent any length of time here. Hell, many people in the Philly suburbs rarely even venture into the city these days.

In general, I've found people from Philly often think there's some sort of rivalry thing going with Pittsburgh. People from Pittsburgh are like "What? Huh?"
Disagree again. In my experience, Philly doesn't ever look to measure itself against Pittsburgh, but rather Boston, Baltimore and NYC (of course most comparisons died off between Philly and the Big Apple by the 90's). When I left for college at Pitt, people were all, like, "Where?! Why are you going there? I hear the river caught fire!".

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are such differently-sized cities that comparisons are considered silly. Plus most in Philly think Pittsburgh is an extension of WV... and all they know of West Virginia is that it is basically "just like the movie Deliverance". It's not in the same universe, so to speak...

Old 07-29-2015, 03:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Both are "cities of neighborhoods" as well.
Is there a city that is not a city of neighborhoods?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:53 PM

792 posts, read 2,874,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
is there a city that is not a city of neighborhoods?
dc

Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
dc
I used to live in a DC neighborhood called LeDroit Park.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As the thread continues, remember this is not a Pittsburgh vs Philly thread. We have a separate city vs city forum for topics like that.
Yac.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is there a city that is not a city of neighborhoods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
dc
Right. Dupont Circle and Adams-Morgan, where I lived for twenty years, weren't neighborhoods. Nor was Georgetown or Foggy Bottom, when I was younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh