Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:47 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times

Advertisements

I found this article to be very interesting and wanted to share:

Ross planners rethink McKnight Road as high-end destination | TribLIVE

Highlights:
- "In October, Ross Township Business and Economic Development Corp., or RED, is planning a series of meetings to discuss how to attract more affluent boutique retail on par with high-end retail at the mall."

- "Starting next year, PennDOT plans to install a $900,000 traffic signal system designed to improve the flow of traffic on a 4.8-mile stretch of the busy commercial route."

- "Redevelopment at the Block at Northway, formerly the Northway Mall, set to include a Nordstrom Rack and other new stores, could attract more affluent customers."

- "Schaffer is looking for ways to make McKnight a more pedestrian-friendly corridor and said the township is planning to require developers to include sidewalks with their projects."

Overall, seems like good ideas. It would be nice to have more upscale stores in the corridor.
Trying to make the flow better (through traffic control improvements) and also through encouraging walking (and assisting those coming via bus to more easily get around) will also be nice improvements that should bring economic rewards.

At present, getting around McKnight can be a headache - and many of the retail developments are islands unto themselves. I wish Ross Twp success in trying to tie things together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 04:58 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I found this article to be very interesting and wanted to share:

Ross planners rethink McKnight Road as high-end destination | TribLIVE

Highlights:
- "In October, Ross Township Business and Economic Development Corp., or RED, is planning a series of meetings to discuss how to attract more affluent boutique retail on par with high-end retail at the mall."

- "Starting next year, PennDOT plans to install a $900,000 traffic signal system designed to improve the flow of traffic on a 4.8-mile stretch of the busy commercial route."

- "Redevelopment at the Block at Northway, formerly the Northway Mall, set to include a Nordstrom Rack and other new stores, could attract more affluent customers."

- "Schaffer is looking for ways to make McKnight a more pedestrian-friendly corridor and said the township is planning to require developers to include sidewalks with their projects."

Overall, seems like good ideas. It would be nice to have more upscale stores in the corridor.
Trying to make the flow better (through traffic control improvements) and also through encouraging walking (and assisting those coming via bus to more easily get around) will also be nice improvements that should bring economic rewards.

At present, getting around McKnight can be a headache - and many of the retail developments are islands unto themselves. I wish Ross Twp success in trying to tie things together.
It seems like a good idea to me. The northern suburbs are the wealthiest in the Pittsburgh area, but my main criticism has been that development is very decentralized there. The Village at Pine seems to be the first attempt at creating a "there" there, but Ross Township has the potential to create a bigger "there" because of Ross Park Mall. I remember reading last year about plans to build some upscale condos not far from the mall, and the rendering looked pretty impressive. I can envision a T extension up the Parkway North and McKnight Road to the mall. Ross Township could become the Pittsburgh equivalent of Tyson's Corner for Washington DC, especially with a critical mass of high-income households in the northern suburbs.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:53 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,893,723 times
This is fantastic because it will draw people away from moving to Butler County. There will be all the shopping choices a person could need within a closer distance to the city. Rumors are that Costco is looking at a space at the Northway Mall.

McKnight is not too bad if you know the short cuts and back roads.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
This is fantastic because it will draw people away from moving to Butler County. There will be all the shopping choices a person could need within a closer distance to the city. Rumors are that Costco is looking at a space at the Northway Mall.

McKnight is not too bad if you know the short cuts and back roads.
It will make the area more desireable, but certainly won't draw people away from moving to Butler County. Nothing new as there's already been more shopping options in the North Hills than Butler County.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
"Schaffer is looking for ways to make McKnight a more pedestrian-friendly corridor..."
I imagine he'll start by getting walking legalized on McKnight Road.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:25 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,410,316 times
Peebles, Seibert and Cumberland Really need to be grade separated at this point.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:50 PM

419 posts, read 446,252 times
This is good news. I always thought Ross Towne Center was kind of a crappy looking shopping center. This is where Bottom Dollar(soon Aldi) used to be and is home to a Goodwill, Panera and a few others. Ross Towne Center has that huge underutilized parking lot bordered by rusted guardrails. They could use a few more satellite business bordering McNight to make it look less like a sea of parking. Several years ago, there was talk of a flyover bridge exiting Ross Park Mall and would have utilized some of Ross Town Center's property. I just think it would be nice to have a more aesthetically pleasing shopping center right in the heart of the Mcknight business corridor.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
This is good news. I always thought Ross Towne Center was kind of a crappy looking shopping center. This is where Bottom Dollar(soon Aldi) used to be and is home to a Goodwill, Panera and a few others. Ross Towne Center has that huge underutilized parking lot bordered by rusted guardrails. .

The Ross Towne Center is better recognized as the former Zayre Shopping Center, and Zayre's did a pretty good business back in the day. There was also a large Giant Eagle over there, before they built the huge McIntyre store.

The parking lot wasn't really overbuilt, it just turned out that way after Zayre's left and they got new tenants like the furniture store which really doesn't require a large lot.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,012 times
It's about time they've begun thinking about sidewalks. Illegal (is it really?) or not, people walk McKnight every day. Would it be too much to ask for a bike lane too?

Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
It's about time they've begun thinking about sidewalks. Illegal (is it really?) or not, people walk McKnight every day. Would it be too much to ask for a bike lane too?

You can ask for whatever you want, but the Ross commissioners answer to their constituents and if you live on the North Side, you don't get a vote on it.

The big question is how many bike riders from Ross like to go to McKnight on their bicycles, and would a bike lane on McKnight hurt access for other members of the Ross electorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh