Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:47 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times

Advertisements

I have lived in many places, including NYC. It seems like Pittsburgh drivers are inclined to always tailgate you AGGRESSIVELY. It seems like everytime I look through my rear view mirror nowadays someone is on my rear end. It is very stressful. Just yesterday someone was harassing me and I was 10 mph over the speed limit! He then has the nerve to swerve past me while giving me the finger. It seems like the larger the vehicle the greater the license the driver feels he or she has to be a jerk. Is there any enforcement around here, or are the roads some Darwinian jungle survival of the fittest? Do I need to invest in some monster truck in order to feel secure? How do people feel safe in those tiny 2 person smart cars? I would be peeing in my pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I've noticed something different personally, to me it seems like many of these people in big trucks won't go above the speed limit at all.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I think people want to drive 50 mph regardless of what road they're on. Speed limit's 35 mph through a neighborhood? They're tailing and driving 50. On the parkway? They're poking along at 50 in the left lane.

Don't even get me started about merging.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
I get tailgated perhaps 1% of the time I'm on the road in Pittsburgh. Coming from 30+ years of driving in NYC, Boston and DC, I don't see aggressive driving here often - although the few times I do it seems the drivers are taking much bigger risks than drivers elsewhere - like being stupidly aggressive as opposed to opportunistic.

Like fleetiebelle, my biggest gripe is merging and the inability of many drivers to do so without stopping and blocking their lane. You don't need an opening the size of a semi truck in order to merge.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
A Pittsburgh driver thread? What? Is Cranberry getting boring?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
A Pittsburgh driver thread? What? Is Cranberry getting boring?
It's something that we all can agree on: everyone driving faster than we are is a maniac and everyone driving slower is an idiot.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:32 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Darwinian jungle survival. I too have lived all over the country and this is the worst.

Left hand turns on red lights, tailgating, no merging courtesy, and driving through stop signs (I have almost been hit 3 times). I've witnessed two women with cars full of children screaming and swearing at each other like sailors over being cut off. Good thing the light turned green because there would have been a smack down.

There is actually a Wikipedia term for the unlawfulness - Pittsburgh Left. Look it up.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:50 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
You are right about merging. I absolutely hate it when people come to a complete halt at the bottom of a ramp. Certain ramps are short and this can't be prevented, but otherwise why do people do this? I feel like my life is in these peoples hands every time I pass one of these clowns. With the left lane inhabited by the tailgating speed demons, there is nowhere else to go.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 AM

436 posts, read 343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You are right about merging. I absolutely hate it when people come to a complete halt at the bottom of a ramp. Certain ramps are short and this can't be prevented, but otherwise why do people do this? I feel like my life is in these peoples hands every time I pass one of these clowns. With the left lane inhabited by the tailgating speed demons, there is nowhere else to go.
Native Pittsburgh drivers are simply the most timid, over cautious people behind the wheel of a car, ever.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 AM

436 posts, read 343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I have lived in many places, including NYC. It seems like Pittsburgh drivers are inclined to always tailgate you AGGRESSIVELY. It seems like everytime I look through my rear view mirror nowadays someone is on my rear end. It is very stressful. Just yesterday someone was harassing me and I was 10 mph over the speed limit! He then has the nerve to swerve past me while giving me the finger. It seems like the larger the vehicle the greater the license the driver feels he or she has to be a jerk. Is there any enforcement around here, or are the roads some Darwinian jungle survival of the fittest? Do I need to invest in some monster truck in order to feel secure? How do people feel safe in those tiny 2 person smart cars? I would be peeing in my pants.
I'm going on my 9th year here. There's a problem if you find Pittsburgh drivers more aggressive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh