Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:14 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
It's a sign of the mixed feelings people have when a neighborhood changes rapidly. People get attached to a certain atmosphere, and it's hard to admit that the atmosphere itself is not a permanent thing but rather a reflection of the times.

The comments above match my experience of Industry -- it's fine for what it is, an OK option for food etc in a great location, but admittedly a little bland in an area that prides itself on character. I think of it as Lawrenceville's Burgatory in many ways; I like Burgatory too, but I am not going to pretend it's anything you won't find in other cities with a reasonably good food scene.
Like I said all I know about the place is that their chili was pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Like I said all I know about the place is that their chili was pretty darn good.
Yeah, I agree with that.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:50 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Is it more important how cool the place is/isn't, or if the food's good and the people there are nice to you? Seems like people are really concerned about authenticness cred here.
I have a friend who loves oysters. He was visiting Boston, so I told him about a place that may serve the best seafood in Boston. He didn't end up going, as the person he was visiting suggested the "hottest table in town," a place I've heard is inconsistent at best. What I learned from this is that my friend is much more interested in telling people he went to the "cool" place rather than a better place they may not have heard of.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yes, this is awesome. Reminds me to go check and see what's happening to Billy's up on Troy Hill.
I walked by there two days ago, and they are apparently still working on it. Just as I was on that block I saw two impatient Troy Hill neighbors approach a guy working on the exterior and ask when it would be opened.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:06 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Industry Public House is a cookie-cutter establishment clearly meant to appeal to the widest, most generic audience possible. If you came to Lawrenceville to get a dose of the reputed neighborhood character, and found yourself eating there... then you've been duped into a tourist trap. There's no shame in that though, as the crowds of white, middle-class suburbanites who frequent the place look comfortable there, and probably enjoyed the food just as much as you did. Anyway, the restaurant's ambience would be more at home in State College than in the Lawrenceville of five years ago. Things change though, and it looks like time for the hipster element to start moving along to discover a less commercially-exploited neighborhood.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Industry Public House is a cookie-cutter establishment clearly meant to appeal to the widest, most generic audience possible. If you came to Lawrenceville to get a dose of the reputed neighborhood character, and found yourself eating there... then you've been duped into a tourist trap. There's no shame in that though, as the crowds of white, middle-class suburbanites who frequent the place look comfortable there, .

A broad appeal IS Lawrenceville's current character. That's what is attracting people to want to build new homes and move down here.

The former bistros and stores on Butler St. are fading away pretty fast. I guess you can still stop by at Frankie's, or head on up to Neid's or Conley's bar.

But the traditional neighborhood character exemplified by places like the Starr discount store or the AK bar on 45th, or JK's place, or Isaly's or Salac's is relegated to history.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:11 PM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
So, what would people suggest as an eatery that exemplifies today's Lawrenceville?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:08 PM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
So, what would people suggest as an eatery that exemplifies today's Lawrenceville?
There are lots of different types. The good old "upscale" standbys that are a lot less bland than Industry but still cater to a wide audience are of course still there like piccolo, round corner, cure, etc. are still around. Then there's the newer addition of The Vandal, which I really enjoyed when I tried it. They put a lot of thought into what they make. But some of the best casual meals can still be had in smaller places and dive bars like Brillobox, Stinky's, Cattivo, Remedy, and the pizza downstairs at Spirit Lounge is also pretty solid. Butcher on Butler also has some great specials too, and the deli is great for lunch. Guess it really depends on what you're looking for.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
I don't know about exemplifying. That's a bit much to ask of a single restaurant IMO. My favorite is Piccolo Forno, but I know you know about it already.

Here are two of my more recent favorites:

dinner: San Lorenzo Ristorante - Italian - Lawrenceville - Pittsburgh, PA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

lunch: Smoke BBQ Taqueria

Old 10-07-2015, 04:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Lorenzo's is closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh