Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,843,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I suspect that really depends on the details, but to the extent you are arguing that in the Pittsburgh area we likely have the balance too far toward property taxes and too far away from wage taxes, I agree with your conclusion.
the larger point that, by and large, re taxes don't provide enough benefit from the stability to really make that argument. I suspect, in the coming decades, are values will actually lag income in most areas, turning the paradigm on its head.

Quote:
Maybe, but shouldn't room also be made for the increased needs and better investment opportunities often associated with economic downturns? Indeed, isn't it a problem that we are spending revenues in other periods on programs you view as non-essential, just because the revenues are higher then?
yes, but not through real estate taxation. "rainy day funds" are a better tool for that. and yes, to the spending side. municipalities, just like individuals, should have some sort of savings fund accumulating for larger investments or "rainy days." those, coupled with better budgeting, should alleviate a lot of the problems. moving away from defined benefit plans woudl also help enormously.

Quote:
Maybe we should be doing more with sovereign funds and such. Maybe we should more explicitly set the terms of counter-cyclical borrowing in advance. And so on.
I don't know about this, and I think you're getting into your theory that human nature can be eliminated along with the business cycle and that's totally off topic. cycles are alive and well in all countries, but we're getting off the topic. I'm less interested in personal preferences than actual taxes here.

Last edited by pman; 09-09-2010 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM

366 posts, read 945,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post

it seems like there's a 1% net profits tax on distributions for all businesses not incorporated? what about LLC's or s-corp's?? seems like incorporating in any other form would make you subject to the state's onerous CNI (9.99%)

[LEFT][SIZE=-1][/SIZE] [/LEFT]
Profits from S-Corps are required to be distributed to shareholders annually and are not treated as wages in Pittsburgh. All wages and income from LLCs and sole-props are treated as wages / earned income. My S-Corp does not operate in Pittsburgh so I don't have to pay businesses taxes to it, however I believe there are business license fees. Pittsburgh finally got rid of the archaic and unfair business mercantile tax for retail businesses. Instead, it taxes a certain percentage of the business's payroll (I think 0.5%).

Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,051,173 times
Quote:
the larger point that, by and large, re taxes don't provide enough benefit from the stability to really make that argument. I suspect, in the coming decades, are values will actually lag income in most areas, turning the paradigm on its head.
At least in theory, property values represent the present value of future rents, and historically they have sometimes proven more stable than present incomes. But I agree that in the near future, we may see stagnant (or declining, particularly in real terms) property values in many places.

Quote:
yes, but not through real estate taxation. "rainy day funds" are a better tool for that. and yes, to the spending side. municipalities, just like individuals, should have some sort of savings fund accumulating for larger investments or "rainy days." those, coupled with better budgeting, should alleviate a lot of the problems.
We basically agree on most of this. But I do think to the extent we can diversify revenue sources and keep them a little less cyclical, that can be a good thing.

Quote:
moving away from defined benefit plans woudl also help enormously.
That is a complex topic. The problem with defined contribution plans is that they shift the relevant risks to the employee, and a lot of that risk would be diversifiable if it was instead pooled. So you would actually have to increase total compensation to make up for the increased individual risk. However, you could get around that problem a bit by limiting the investment of the contributions to risk-pooling measures (like certain annuities).

Quote:
I don't know about this, and I think you're getting into your theory that human nature can be eliminated along with the business cycle and that's totally off topic.
Not only is that off topic, but you have completely misstated my views. So, yes, you are probably better off sticking to other topics.

The point I was actually making, however, had nothing to do with those issues. There are only two basic ways of moving revenues from one time period to another: saving and borrowing. There are lots of ways of doing those things, however, and my point was that if you want policies to those effects that work a little better and are less subject to abuse and misuse, it might make sense to formalize those programs more than we often do, in advance, as opposed to trying to do things on an ad hoc basis.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Profits from S-Corps are required to be distributed to shareholders annually and are not treated as wages in Pittsburgh. All wages and income from LLCs and sole-props are treated as wages / earned income. My S-Corp does not operate in Pittsburgh so I don't have to pay businesses taxes to it, however I believe there are business license fees. Pittsburgh finally got rid of the archaic and unfair business mercantile tax for retail businesses. Instead, it taxes a certain percentage of the business's payroll (I think 0.5%).
so if I run an LLC or S-corp, I pay only the payroll tax, and whatever I take out I pay wage tax on? froam a business location standpoint then, it would seem the number one business issue would be the CNI for the state.

Brian-perhaps we don't really disagree then, or so it would seem when specifics rather than generalities are discussed. but batck the burgh, it would seem property taxes and wage taxes are high due to the school district. while I'm not totally sold on the payroll tax, if that's the only tax on business, it's fairly reasonably (in my mind). the number one deterrent to me thenis the property tax (although the wage tax is high enough that increasing it decrease property taxes would put it in Philadelphia territory, and the deleterious impact of the wage tax there is well documented and real...it's no coincidence that it's renewal, such as it is, coincided with a 20% cut to the wage tax there). in fact, pitt's is probably still too high, I'd put 2-2.5% as the target, and a cut to property taxes as well. of course, the question is, how to accomplish that while growing the base.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,051,173 times
Quote:
but batck the burgh, it would seem property taxes and wage taxes are high due to the school district.
Well, that is certainly a big part of it. Of course the City does get a substantial share of those taxes, and conversely the District gets something like 45% of its funding from other sources.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM

I suppose increased population would lead to reduced per capita expenses. indeed, Philadelphia at one point, under Rendell, adopted a slow and steady series of cuts to the wage tax. it was probably too slow, but you did see lower rates and higher receipts over that period. of course, they continued to throw good money after bad (funding questionable programs instead fo pensions) leaving themselves in a hole like most others). anyway, thinking about income and business taxes, I wonder how it relates to the pittsburgh paradox (http://www.slate.com/id/2265068/pagenum/2 - broken link)
speficially, low attendance, and low payroll from the pirates seems like it would result in the lowest possible tax reciepts for the city for its investment. do the pirates pay property taxes? (the phillies do not, even the surface lots there are tax free, leased from the city, though at least the city is benefitting from high wage taxes and amusement taxes (not to mention beer sales). if a player lives outside the city, they only pay 1%? where do the players live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh