Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:35 AM

30 posts, read 62,422 times

Advertisements

I have the pleasure of commuting in/out of Oakland from Murrysville during rush hour 5-7 days per week.

Ironically, traffic out of the city seems to have improved lately (at least on my route) due to Greenfield Bridge detour.

Lately, it seems that traffic from the Parkway East onto Route 22 towards Murrsyville has simply gotten awful. Yesterday, on the way home (around 4pm), on a sunny day, traffic was backed up onto the parkway further back than I've ever see it. It also was barely moving. I've seen it backed up onto the Parkway (near Turnpike merger) before, but usually it moves. The only issue that I saw was somebody controlling the light near Alpine Village (and near the whole 286 construction mess).

There are lots of observant folks on here, and I value your opinions.

Any thoughts on what may or may not be happening with 22 traffic? I've been commuting to the same destination for 3 years now; however, 22 traffic seems to be worse lately. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 06:43 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkerdan View Post
I have the pleasure of commuting in/out of Oakland from Murrysville during rush hour 5-7 days per week.

Ironically, traffic out of the city seems to have improved lately (at least on my route) due to Greenfield Bridge detour.

Lately, it seems that traffic from the Parkway East onto Route 22 towards Murrsyville has simply gotten awful. Yesterday, on the way home (around 4pm), on a sunny day, traffic was backed up onto the parkway further back than I've ever see it. It also was barely moving. I've seen it backed up onto the Parkway (near Turnpike merger) before, but usually it moves. The only issue that I saw was somebody controlling the light near Alpine Village (and near the whole 286 construction mess).

Any thoughts on what may or may not be happening with 22 traffic? I've been commuting to the same destination for 3 years now; however, 22 traffic seems to be worse lately. What are your thoughts?
Population growth in Murrysville coupled with that road being above its capacity. It's likely going to slowly worsen as Murrysville sees more growth

Old 10-30-2015, 07:18 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkerdan View Post

I sometimes hit traffic through there at odd times, too (on weekends). I wonder if the cycling of the lights all of the way through Murrysville gets off-kilter at times. If we are looking way down the future at transportation projects, I wonder if some sort of bypass isn't proposed within the next 20 years (as traffic gets worse through Murrysville). They've improved 22 almost all the way to Altoona now but the Murrysville stretch will always remain a bottleneck.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I sometimes hit traffic through there at odd times, too (on weekends). I wonder if the cycling of the lights all of the way through Murrysville gets off-kilter at times. If we are looking way down the future at transportation projects, I wonder if some sort of bypass isn't proposed within the next 20 years (as traffic gets worse through Murrysville). They've improved 22 almost all the way to Altoona now but the Murrysville stretch will always remain a bottleneck.
This crossed my mind yesterday. It's completely random; some days during the week (and during the same time) there is very little traffic on 22 all the way to the 286 ramp. Then on other weekdays (like yesterday), the traffic is absolute hell. I'm just wondering if there is any rhyme/reason to it.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
A friend of mine who works in State College has been having a rough time lately, so I've been hitting the road to visit her in Happy Valley on a monthly basis. I've noticed that the traffic lights along U.S. Route 22 through Murrysville are heinously out-of-synch, whether I keep my speed at the speed limit or go with the flow of traffic (usually a few miles per hour over it). This leads to more congestion, and, unsurprisingly, more road rage, as those of us just trying to pass THROUGH Murrysville, become annoyed that our already long treks are increasing due to unchecked urban sprawl.

A bypass around Murrysville is direly needed so through-traffic between Pittsburgh and points east can avoid Murrysville. This would also help commuters like the OP because we "extraneous" vehicles would be out of her/his commuting path.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 AM

I couldn't agree more. I've even gone so far out of my way as to use the Plum exit and come down Old Frankstown road, although the light at 286 is awful, and usually backed up for about 4-5 cycles. To counter this, I take New Texas Road, but of course, it's currently closed until December.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:33 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A bypass around Murrysville is direly needed so through-traffic between Pittsburgh and points east can avoid Murrysville. This would also help commuters like the OP because we "extraneous" vehicles would be out of her/his commuting path.
A bypass? There are already two large highways (30 and 22) within a couple of miles of each other.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Yes, a bypass or just converting the remaining portion to a limited access highway. The eastern growth has now moved well past Murrysville and into the northern Greensburg area. All of the traffic on 22 west of 66 will only continue to get worse with the lights. Traffic will start backing onto the Parkway (it already does from time to time), making more of a mess there.

30 is a viable alternative if you want to get to Greensburg or Latrobe, but 22 has become a vital link to Altoona, St. College, and even points further north and east. It doesn't make sense to me that they would make 22 into a limited access highway yet leave the most vital link as an overcrowded suburban road.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
A bypass? There are already two large highways (30 and 22) within a couple of miles of each other.
Which one of these is the best route for long-distance through-traffic to not sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic going from red light to red light? I've complained before that there's no efficient way to get from Pittsburgh to points east/northeast and have been told "22 is as good as it gets". I easily waste 15-20 minutes going through Murrysville vs. if there was a highway-like bypass around it. That's unacceptable.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
30 is a viable alternative if you want to get to Greensburg or Latrobe, but 22 has become a vital link to Altoona, St. College, and even points further north and east. It doesn't make sense to me that they would make 22 into a limited access highway yet leave the most vital link as an overcrowded suburban road.
^ This. I visit my parents' home near Scranton several times per year. My options are a two-lane PA Route 28 past Kittanning to I-80 or dealing with the Murrysville mess en route to the free-flowing section of U.S. Route 22 east of Delmont. I can't think of one other direction out of the city that doesn't have a highway-like route other than to points due east/northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh