Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

Okay folks I have been in my apartment since September in a rather unsavory part of Butler PA. Since being here, the first weekend a 30 year old overdosed across the street and died. There have been 4 other OD's in the same area, and I have personally witnessed 2 drug transactions go down and the cops can't handle the drug traffic. Being a Former Marine I somehow feel it is my duty to somehow put a stop to the madness kind of like Clint Eastwood did in "Gran Torino". But my loving woman has asked me not to get involved if I can keep from it. So is there any legal way knowing this that I can legally break my lease without penalty.
Yes I know this goes on everywhere but hopefully with a move to Monaca or Center Township, I won't have to watch it out my window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
You could always move out to Greece City but be aware the folks who live in Greece City Heights are sort of elitist. They have double wides instead of singles.

The above is a joke based on reality.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Why don't you stay where you are and have some fun with it. You are a Marine, so enjoy filming this crap going down and just hand it off to the cops. You don't need to take care of it yourself, but maybe you can do a little citizen work. just a thought. Getting out of a lease is usually going to cost you. Talk to the landlord and see what he says about it all. Never know.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
Start writing letters to your landlord claiming the apartment is not habitable and stuff needs to be fixed asap. Google implied warranty of habitability and read up on it before you write the letters.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,722 times
Being a citizen cop is a bit pretentious and absolutely dangerous. This is what we have law enforcement for. If you must get involved, report it to the proper authorities so that they can handle it. Otherwise you could get hurt or find yourself in trouble for acting out the vigilante role.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Start writing letters to your landlord claiming the apartment is not habitable and stuff needs to be fixed asap. Google implied warranty of habitability and read up on it before you write the letters.
He is an ex-marine, so he may be uncomfortable to lie as you suggest.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
He is an ex-marine, so he may be uncomfortable to lie as you suggest.
Got it. But breaking a lease isn't exactly honorable to begin with.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:37 PM

310 posts, read 371,421 times
I would for sure stay out of it. You do not want in the middle of someone who needs a fix and someone who is getting money off of that person who needs a fix. Don't think that moving to beaver county will take you away from all addicts. Center Twp is a great area but sadly the drug is causing an epidemic everywhere. I grew up there (beaver county) and i can name 20+ people that i went to high school with who are in recovery (im only 25). this doesnt include those who are sadly still in addiction or those who have OD. If you do plan on moving to Beaver County, stick towards the Center Twp area more than Monaca. Hopewell is a nice area too. Cant really give advice about breaking your lease. Sorry

Old 01-23-2016, 08:22 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
Guess I wear blinders. Small town Pa. seems idyllic and if I were younger, would relocate. The C-D page for Butler makes it seem attractive.

//www.city-data.com/city/Butler-Pennsylvania.html

Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Guess I wear blinders. Small town Pa. seems idyllic and if I were younger, would relocate. The C-D page for Butler makes it seem attractive.

//www.city-data.com/city/Butler-Pennsylvania.html

It isn't bad. Mrs. NBP is from there. There is one fairly small bad section but everyone knows where that is.

It took a hit in the 80s when Pullman shut down operations there (1000s of jobs gone) but AARMCO Steel (now AK) is usually hiring at a low but steady rate and some small manufacturing continues at other firms.

Like many areas there is an opioid problem which is relatively recent. It also has an aging population like much of Western PA does.

Pittsburgh tends to suck the oxygen out of the region for a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh