Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
I guess the "route" you are referring to is having Tomlin wave his magic wand to prevent injuries to his star players.

Considering this team, without its star running back, second string running back, AB, Maurice Pouncey, and a quarterback with a bum shoulder came within a few plays (maybe one-the fumble) of returning to the Super Bowl tells me Tomlin is not the problem.

I thought you knew football enough to not make silly comments like that...especially if you watched this past season unfold. Steelers will be one of the favorites to win it all next year if they stay healthy, regardless if Tomlin is at the helm or not.
They backed into the playoffs and won their first playoff game in 5 years thanks to ridiculous moves by Bengal players.

They didn't come within a few plays of returning to the SB. You must have missed it but there was another game to play against the Pats.

The Stillers can stay healthy, but Tomlin won't win another SB unless he goes back to the attitude he came in with. He'll ride his running back into the ground, he won't use the backup, he'll waive the backup, his star back will get hurt, and the backup will get picked up and get a SB ring. Oh wait, that happened last year.

Many teams will have a chance if they stay healthy. Injuries are part of the game. Ask the Broncos about that.

Ben makes Tomlin look real good. Without a star qb, a Tomlin coached team wouldn't win 6 games a year.

If you truly think he's the coach he is and with the star players he has, I assume you're betting the house on them next season?

Last edited by erieguy; 02-06-2016 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've never seen a coach as successful as Tomlin so widely reviled by local loudmouths and sports radio blow-hards. It's sickening.
Tomlin isn't the same coach as he was when he came in. The last 5 years have proven that. He just had a tiny bit more control of his team than the Bengals or they'd have lost that game also.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've never seen a coach as successful as Tomlin so widely reviled by local loudmouths and sports radio blow-hards. It's sickening.
My only complaint with Tomlin is his lack of disciplining players who are guilty of excessive celebrating penalties. And not keeping "Coach" Porter in line.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My only complaint with Tomlin is his lack of disciplining players who are guilty of excessive celebrating penalties. And not keeping "Coach" Porter in line.
Don't forget Munchak.

Tomlin's lack of discipline has been evident for years. Definitely a problem.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
At least Tomlin didn't complain about the altitude when they lost here in Denver, like many do.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
At least Tomlin didn't complain about the altitude when they lost here in Denver, like many do.
At least Tebow didn't beat them again

Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
At least Tebow didn't beat them again
Ha! Peyton did it, and Brock's pretty good too!

Old 02-07-2016, 09:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
I'd like to see the Bronco's pull it out.

Hopefully Cam and his recent "there's never been a qb like me"(wrong as Randall Cunningham was extremely similar) attitude will get in the way.
Cam Newton is already better than Randall Cunningham ever was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Me, too!

Shouldn't the rest of you Pittsburghers be rooting for the Broncos, too, since the Steelers are in the same conference?
Not necessarily, considering Jerry Richardson is close friends with the Rooney family, and certain Panthers players with a valid basis for comparison have noted how similarly the Panthers and Steelers are run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerricho Cotchery
The owners are really close. Carolina has modeled itself after Pittsburgh and what a wonderful model. It is the same atmosphere as in a real family-type atmosphere where everybody loves playing with one another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Velasco
You can just tell that the Rooneys and Mr. Richardson are friends because of the positive vibe you get. Both teams make it like a family environment. Even to the GMs from Kevin Colbert to (Dave) Gettleman, you see them around the players and having conversations. From Mike Tomlin and Ron Rivera, you see them in the locker rooms all the time.
It's no coincidence that the Panthers are in the Super Bowl, given which team they've modeled their approach after.

Quote:
They backed into the playoffs and won their first playoff game in 5 years thanks to ridiculous moves by Bengal players.
The Steelers did what they needed to do to qualify for the playoffs, and the Jets did not. Maybe if Ben Roethlisberger and Le'Veon Bell were on the field together for more than 39 snaps this season, or if Maurkice Pouncey played a single down of football when the games began to matter, they wouldn't have been in such a precarious situation in the first place.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 02-07-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 09:54 AM

1 MVP season doesn't prove he's better than Cunningham(how many does Cunningham have?)and to say that nobody's ever seen anything like him is as hilarious as it is ridiculous.

Maybe, but, if, could, should, etc..., doesn't mean anything. All teams deal with injury. Without Ben, Tomlin and Haley can't win anything in the long run. After all, "the standard is the standard, next man up"(insert big words), are famous "Tomlinisms".

Last edited by erieguy; 02-07-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
1 MVP season doesn't prove he's better than Cunningham(how many does Cunningham have?)and to say that nobody's ever seen anything like him is as hilarious as it is ridiculous.

Maybe, but, if, could, should, etc..., doesn't mean anything. All teams deal with injury. Without Ben, Tomlin and Haley can't win anything in the long run. After all, "the standard is the standard, next man up"(insert big words), are famous "Tomlinisms".

He's a just as fast, if not faster than Cunningham, but 40 pounds heavier. He's bigger than Michael Strahan. We've never seen anything like Cam Newton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh